Well it is time for a new tug. . I would like a nice new shiny LandRover Discovery Sport, like our present one, but they are now so horrendously expensive.

Thinking of a top of the range Ford Kuga!

Now I have driven Land Rovers for 30 years so I am in to new territory.

Or I could go to Japan or Korea etc

Really open to help and suggestions.

Has to tow a 1500kg caravan.

Help please.

Paul.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Hi your best bet is to make a list of cars you like that are capable of pulling your van.

Read some caravan reviews (YouTube has loads as well), then have some test drives.

The majorly of people on here will recommend whatever vehicle that they own.

There is a tow car review section on this forum as well, where people will put reviews on their own car.

Duncan

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

We traded our Volvo V70 in for a 2.5 year old VW Tiguan. Its a fairly top ender so quite well appointed. This is just the 150BHP version and it tows like a train. Economic towing and solo. The boot is a big suprise as the seats slide forward and the boot enlarges so that it is quite adequate. I managed to squeeze a full size spare wheel/tyre into the wheel well with a minor tweak. Have a look before you decide on the Kuga. Sitting by the side of a Disco Sport it appears to be about the same size. 

Ern

6 minutes ago, Ern said:

We traded our Volvo V70 in for a 2.5 year old VW Tiguan. Its a fairly top ender so quite well appointed. This is just the 150BHP version and it tows like a train. Economic towing and solo. The boot is a big suprise as the seats slide forward and the boot enlarges so that it is quite adequate. I managed to squeeze a full size spare wheel/tyre into the wheel well with a minor tweak. Have a look before you decide on the Kuga. Sitting by the side of a Disco Sport it appears to be about the same size. 

Thanks. That is the sort of comment I hoped to get!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Ssangyong  korando the last model with the 2.2 engine seems to get very good reviews its heavy 1.8 ton empty 180ish hp 4x4 and long warently (5 or 7 yrs depending on age).

The ford kuga does get very good reviews though. What budget do you have or what to spend though and what are you looking for vs what you have today?

Im searching for a new tow car and the Kuga does seem to be a much loved tow car by their owners. Im aware of Ford Powershift problems, but not fully sure if the Kuga has Powershift?

Your right land rover are out pricing them selfies. I'm going to be in the same boat soon choosing what tug to get next.

29 minutes ago, Edde said:

Ssangyong  korando the last model with the 2.2 engine seems to get very good reviews its heavy 1.8 ton empty 180ish hp 4x4 and long warently (5 or 7 yrs depending on age).

The ford kuga does get very good reviews though. What budget do you have or what to spend though and what are you looking for vs what you have today?

Well I could go to 30000 including the trade in if the Discovery Sport, that is valued by we by any car at£22.000

36 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Im aware of Ford Powershift problems, but not fully sure if the Kuga has Powershift?

Reading further, this may relate to the pre 2016 Kugas

There's lots been said about Kuga and the common thread is that they do tow well.

I have a 180ps with powershift auto.  It tows 1550kg with no problems and I average 26 - 28mpg.

Powershift problems appear to have been resolved since Ford revised gearbox service intervals and specified different lubricants.

The only downside for me is the boot size - about 456litres I think, but thats including a full sized spare.

The Tiguan has a bigger boot than Kuga but is more expensive, year on year.  For towing Tiguan and Volvo xc60 would be high on my list.

Others claim a bigger boot but only include an inflation kit - worth verifying if capacity is important.

I hope this helps.

I have a Kuga.  2016.  It tows my Venus 504/4 very well.  I just have to remember that I'm towing:lol:.  I'm now a solo caravanner, and it was my first time of towing when I went to Shrewsbury at the end of July.  My hubby passed away last year, and when he was doing the driving, we folded down the back seats and had his dialysis fluid (each bag had 1.5ltrs, and there were 4 bags to each box, and we had to carry 26 boxes for the week.  We also had the awning (Kampa porch) as well, and our mainecoon cat (20lbs) in his large cage.  Even with all that, we towed the caravan very well;)

• Like 1

I've got a Mazda CX5 2.2 diesel, can tow 2,000 kg , similar size to the Kuga but a little cheaper on like for like spec plus it's far more economical to run. ( 55 - 60 MPG solo, 30 MPG towing)

Also need to consider the dealer, I've eliminated a number of car choices due to poor dealer location for servicing.

Currently tow with a 2017 Tiguan which we love and is the best tow car we’ve had, but it’s the wife’s company car and she’s being made redundant so the car is going. Hopefully she will get another job job with a company car, so we will be back to having two tow cars. 

Im selling my Defender and am researching it’s real replacement and im considering the Kuga and the Yeti. 

We we had a Kuga before the Tiguan and whilst we didn’t tow with it, it was a lovely car. 

Edited by Guest
10 hours ago, PR1 said:

Well I could go to 30000 including the trade in if the Discovery Sport, that is valued by we by any car at£22.000

At that sort if budget maybe look at the rexton then its discovery sized and weight just with a 180hp engine. 26 to 29k for a 5 seat auto top spec model 1 yr old with 6 yrs of warenty on them. Shows a level of believe in there product reliability to give 7 yrs warenty. Or save a few quid and you could get a 6 month old top spec korando with 6.5 yrs warently and 1k in your pocket in exchange for your present car.

Theres a fair choice of 4x4 type cars which can tow your craravan though

Kuga 2018 ST Line 180 diesel with powershift.

Has the wet clutches and should not be confused with the lower power rated dry clutch version.

Not the most glamorous vehicle, but well equipped and drives really well. An ideal tug.

Caravan plated at 1750Kg

Tows and pulls like a dream.

Gross train weight 4300Kg

Gross vehicle weight 2200Kg

Towing weight 2100 Kg

And that's from the vehicle "plate" so definitive 

1 hour ago, Ukzero said:

Kuga 2018 ST Line 180 diesel with powershift.

Has the wet clutches and should not be confused with the lower power rated dry clutch version.

Anyone know what year they changed from dry clutch to wet clutch? Or does it depend on the model?

I tow an Elddis Crusader Mistal 1550kg van with a 2018 Kuga150bhp maual and no problem, this is my 3rd Kuga very comfortable car and drives well, my next Kuga will be an automatic when i change.

5 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Anyone know what year they changed from dry clutch to wet clutch? Or does it depend on the model?

All Kuga's will have Ford's wetclutch Powershift co-designed with Getrag I believe. You will only find the dry clutch in smaller engined Fiesta and Focus.

But this unit has a history of issues partially due to it's design struggling to cool the clutches. Many early models suffered judder underload and failed clutches.  Ford have changed oils and servicing schedules and were forced to extend warranties in some markets.

Ford are now in the process of withdrawing the gearbox from sale. Some markets had it withdrawn some years ago and in the UK it's being progressively replaced with the 8 speed conventional automatic.

On 15/09/2020 at 08:40, LeadFarmer said:

Currently tow with a 2017 Tiguan which we love and is the best tow car we’ve had, but it’s the wife’s company car and she’s being made redundant so the car is going. Hopefully she will get another job job with a company car, so we will be back to having two tow cars. 

Im selling my Defender and am researching it’s real replacement and im considering the Kuga and the Yeti. 

We we had a Kuga before the Tiguan and whilst we didn’t tow with it, it was a lovely car. 

If you wan't auto then I'd 100% go Yeti or Tiguan.  The Yeti 4x4 has the DQ250 and Tiguan the DQ500.  The DQ250 probably has the best reliability but the DQ500 is now a well proven unit as long as you avoid the very early models.

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.