All these new caravanners are a night mare!

PR1

Well after watching the people turn up and levelling there caravan on the steadies as the jockey wheel only lifts it!

We now have another new one who decides that it is ok to leave extension mirrors on, to drive around all the time!

Strictly illegal, but at least he listened!  Then removed them!

I know I am not perfect, but I learnt through th wise advice on here!

• Like 2

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Absolutely shocking!

i’m not surprised you are having night mares, 

but try not to let it ruin your hols 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I confess to having left the extension mirrors fitted to the car whilst on site but have always removed them if heading solo onto the highway.

The law is perfectly clear in this respect. Towing mirrors must not extend more than 250mm  beyond the width of the caravan / trailer when towed on the highway (prior to January 2007 this was 200mm) and it is an offence to drive solo on the highway with extension mirrors still attached.

Now here's conundrum,I have fitted a permanent rear view camera on my van,do I really need extended mirrors which to be honest I never liked as they used to shake too much.Drove to France / Spain this year, the rear view camera was such a success.We could overtake without worrying that we would pull out in front of a speeding overtaker. I recommend the camera along with fitting tyre pressure monitors for peace of mind.

If the law says you need extended mirrors then you need them. I find these mirrors especially useful in seeing how close to the kerb/side of road the caravan wheels are, a rear view camera on the back of the caravan could not do that. A camera can not see in the blind spot at the side of the caravan that the normal car mirrors do not cover.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 4

If I get done because I forgot to remove my towing mirrors(I don remove them as I really dont like them on unless they have to be ) or let's say I was only doing an overnight stop to get somewhere and left them on for ease, I would struggle to be civil to said officer ,indeed I'd put money on it  not ever being noticed.

And I know we are joking a bit here but actually we all started somewhere and we are none of perfect now . They aren't a mare they are learning the ropes.

35 minutes ago, Malc Edge said:

Now here's conundrum,I have fitted a permanent rear view camera on my van,do I really need extended mirrors which to be honest I never liked as they used to shake too much.Drove to France / Spain this year, the rear view camera was such a success.We could overtake without worrying that we would pull out in front of a speeding overtaker. I recommend the camera along with fitting tyre pressure monitors for peace of mind.

Yes, they are more than likely still legally required. You must be able to see down the sides of your caravan which you can't normally do with your car mirrors. You will most likely have blind spots by your car and caravan without them.

You must also be able to see behind and out sideways of your caravan by a certain distance (which your camera might do). But you most likely won't be legal without towing mirrors, depending on the view your tow car mirrors give you.

T.jpg.c2b02f6c1d56b08566f00a0279958a9c.jpg

Edited by Guest

I think you should spend more time enjoying your own holiday than worrying what everyone else is up to.

If away for a few days my towing mirrors always stay on the car as not worth the hassle of taking them off and refitting.  Funny enough the police have never pulled me over about it.

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 3

I've driven with towing mirrors usually to collect the caravan from the dealer, I had no idea it was illegal and not sure why it is.

I've seen plenty of caravans being towed without mirrors but not yet seen one pulled over for it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

I've driven with towing mirrors usually to collect the caravan from the dealer, I had no idea it was illegal and not sure why it is.

I've seen plenty of caravans being towed without mirrors but not yet seen one pulled over for it.

Well I guess the mirrors could project out too far beyond the widest part of your car, whereas with the caravan hitched up they don't project out from the caravan width in the sae way.

When towing without mirrors, the blind spot shown in the image above could hide a cyclist or pedestrian, so its obviously important that you get the correct view. But I've occasionally been known to collect/return my caravan from the storage site without using them. I've also found the wife has nipped out in the car before I've had the chance to remove the mirrors.

It's all a matter of risk isn't it, whether you're prepared to take the gamble or not. Most cops won't know its illegal, but you only have to be stopped by one cop that does, such as a traffic cop, ex traffic cop, or a beat cop who caravans themselves.

You'll tend to find lots of caravaners on here are quite particular about complying with all of the laws surrounding towing, which isn't a bad thing.

Edited by Guest

I've just been testing a new Honda that doesnt have mirrors and has cameras instead.

I know you couldn't fit extension mirrors not sure how it handles towing.

If all else fails, follow the instructions

2 hours ago, Malc Edge said:

As long as your camera provides the rear view as stated in the legislation, down both sides of the trailer.

milencotowing.jpg

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • Like 1

Non in legendo sed in intelligendo leges consistunt.

The laws depend not on being read, but on being understood.

52 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

Regulation 33 of The Road Vehicles (Construction And Use) Regulations 1986:

Where the bottom edge of an exterior mirror is less than 2 m above the road surface when the vehicle is laden, that mirror shall not project more than 20 cm beyond the overall width of the vehicle or, in a case where the vehicle is drawing a trailer which has an overall width greater than that of the drawing vehicle, more than 20 cm beyond the overall width of the trailer.

I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for either not having towing mirrors nor driving with them when they should not be.  Not sure most police know the rules or they regard it as a minor point and do not bother.

• Like 2

One of my first sorties abroad with a caravan, 1982 I think, saw me stopped by a snotty gendarme at the border crossing nr Strasbourg and ticked off for having one extension mirror only, which was on the nearside to aid driving on the right.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

20 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for either not having towing mirrors nor driving with them when they should not be.  Not sure most police know the rules or they regard it as a minor point and do not bother.

Many police do know the rules, but you are more likely to get "words of advice" than a ticket unless you rub him up the wrong way!

If you get stopped in a police spot check you will likely get referred to the Halfords van that is parked nearby and he will happily sell you some.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Many police do know the rules, but you are more likely to get "words of advice" than a ticket unless you rub him up the wrong way!

If you get stopped in a police spot check you will likely get referred to the Halfords van that is parked nearby and he will happily sell you some.

I have offered “words of advice” on that very subject on a good few occasions. I have also issued tickets when people refused to accept that I knew a lot more about the law than they did, and tried to tell me I was wrong! 

Having said that the lack of towing mirrors was always a clue that it might be wise  to have a closer look at outfits, and that often resulted in finding no over-run cable connected, or even an (expensive) visit to a nearby weigh-bridge ;)

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Parking bays are tight enough without having extended mirrors to squeeze in as well. Mine go on when the caravan is coupled up and come off as soon as the caravan is unhitched.  Takes about the same length of time as putting my shoes on, not really a hassle.

55 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

Not the sort of offence that grabs local newspaper headlines on even the slowest of news days so nothing to really base your judgement on. There are millions of prohibitions & fixed penalty notices issued  and court prosecutions never publicly reported.

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • Like 1

For the avoidance of doubt it is illegal to have extended mirrors fitted if not towing. HOWEVER that’s because you must not have anything extending a certain distance out from the side of your vehicle. I cannot now remember how far that is, but the vast majority of caravan mirrors exceed that distance. Legal Eagles post contains the measurements.

Just imagine that you are in town and a pedestrian is very close to the edge of the pavement as you drive by at 30mph ! That’s going to cause injury and that’s why they must be removed.

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Plodd said:

For the avoidance of doubt it is illegal to have extended mirrors fitted if not towing. HOWEVER that’s because you must not have anything extending a certain distance out from the side of your vehicle. I cannot now remember how far that is, but the vast majority of caravan mirrors exceed that distance. 

Just imagine that you are in town and a pedestrian is very close to the edge of the pavement as you drive by at 30mph ! That’s going to cause injury and that’s why they must be removed.

See my post above, 57 minutes ago.

Edited by Legal Eagle

3 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

See my post above, 57 minutes ago.

Just spotted it and edited my post before seeing this one :rolleyes:

I'd have thought fitting towing mirrors is part of the routine when performing checks prior to setting off, it's certainly mine.

Once at site they come off, the tow ball protector goes on, and the drinks are prepared.

No drama really, but a question for those travelling abroad.. do you keep the mirrors on while on the ferry?

5 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

No drama really, but a question for those travelling abroad.. do you keep the mirrors on while on the ferry?

Yes! But mine fold in automatically against the side of the car when the ignition is off. If anyone doesn’t turn them in/remove them then passing pedestrians soon would! (Or knock them off because there is precious little room between vehicle anyway) 

2 hours ago, Towtug said:

I've just been testing a new Honda that doesnt have mirrors and has cameras instead.

I know you couldn't fit extension mirrors not sure how it handles towing.

Is it type approved for towing as a fair few vehicles these days are not.

If it IS then you have identified a very interesting, and very valid, point! 

Edited by Mr Plodd