Fridge Cooling Fans

mentaliss

Hi Guys/Gals

I have a tall fridge/freezer (Dometic RML 9330) and it gets warm so im going to install the Inkbird itc-1000 12volt temp' Controller.. that is of course one of you kind Tech'ies can advise me how to wire this into the Fridge system, theres already a large 12volt fan fitted into the upper vent and is a controlled via a on and off switch, I realise that I will have to create a new 12volt fused supply has my Bailey Unicorn Vigo does'nt appear to have a 12volt supply at the rear of the fridge, the two sensor wire connection's look straight forward enough but the heating and cooling (4 connections are confusing me as to where I Connect these to and what cable would be correct to use?

many thanks to whom ever can advise me!

Your fridge will have 12v supplied for the interior light and control circuit.  So you should be able to pick up a supply.    But I would question the need for a fan.   You say it gets hot.   How hot is the ambient temperature?   Does it perform in the same way on gas.  I would suspect that you may have fault with the fridge which a fan isn’t going to solve.  

21 hours ago, fred said:

Your fridge will have 12v supplied for the interior light and control circuit.  So you should be able to pick up a supply.    But I would question the need for a fan.   You say it gets hot.   How hot is the ambient temperature?   Does it perform in the same way on gas.  I would suspect that you may have fault with the fridge which a fan isn’t going to solve.  

Thanks Fred for your input, but I personally would never wire a  component that could draw current into a 12volt lighting circuit. I know what I want to do and why Im doing it so can you assist me  on my subject matter or not? 

22 hours ago, mentaliss said:

Hi Guys/Gals

I have a tall fridge/freezer (Dometic RML 9330) and it gets warm so im going to install the Inkbird itc-1000 12volt temp' Controller.. that is of course one of you kind Tech'ies can advise me how to wire this into the Fridge system, theres already a large 12volt fan fitted into the upper vent and is a controlled via a on and off switch, I realise that I will have to create a new 12volt fused supply has my Bailey Unicorn Vigo does'nt appear to have a 12volt supply at the rear of the fridge, the two sensor wire connection's look straight forward enough but the heating and cooling (4 connections are confusing me as to where I Connect these to and what cable would be correct to use?

many thanks to whom ever can advise me!

Hi mentaliss

Can you clarify what the new controller will be actually controlling? You imply that it will be controlling the fridge, is that correct or will it be for another cooling fan?

• Like 1

Coachman VIP 575. Mercedes ML 250 auto, One wife, three kids, seven Grandsons and counting.

Retirement is great but you never get a day off :D.

Why not just fit a second fan in the lower vent, possibly wire both fans in series so they run more slowly and make less noise? Remember a fridge has to get warm so that the thermal convection moves the air. The fans are not there to effect forced cooling, just to make the air move more efficiently. If you make it too efficient you will end up with a frozen-up fridge!

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

9 hours ago, mentaliss said:

Thanks Fred for your input, but I personally would never wire a  component that could draw current into a 12volt lighting circuit. I know what I want to do and why Im doing it so can you assist me  on my subject matter or not? 

Obviously not. 

10 minutes ago, fred said:

Obviously not. 

Why on Earth not? A computer cooling fan draws such a negligible amount, just look at how thin the wires that feed it are!! 

I have wired up about 8 fridge fans for both myself and others. On each one I have taken a feed from the 12v lighting circuit. None have blown a fuse/caught fire/failed to work or anything other than just work. 

I would also point out that the lighting circuit is fused! 

• Like 1

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.