Levelling using steadies!

Yes really.

Just watched a chap levelling his caravan using the steadies only! 
I asked why he did not use the jockey wheel, to which his reply was it only makes the front go up! 
I left and went back to my tea.

Edited by PR1
  • Haha 4

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It isn't a case of "need"! Why do it the hard way when there is a tool available? Or should I get rid of my aquarolls and carry gerricans instead?

Experience is often the greatest Teacher in life, especially to the hard-of-listening.

I have a robot lawn mover, automatic car, smart light switches and bulbs, and other Alexa related items. I use the motor mover to move the caravan and use a drill (on the torque setting) to wind the s

Posted Images

Probably in a nice way you ought to let him know he could do some serious damage doing it that way?

12 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Probably in a nice way you ought to let him know he could do some serious damage doing it that way?

With his reaction a definite no!

• Haha 3

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

5 hours ago, PR1 said:

Dont blame you!   A few years ago I tried to tell this Spanish owner he was asking for trouble.   He turned his back and walked away.

706648158_Misuseofcornersteadies..jpg.3b0fd94ad18de22c15f0977cc42d32ae.jpg

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I know you shouldn’t do this but I’m not sure why. I’ve always tried to use the corner steadies just enough to make firm grip on the ground.  Pity there’s no torque setting but then I guess that would vary from  caravan to caravan. 

58 minutes ago, Grumpy2 said:

I know you shouldn’t do this but I’m not sure why. I’ve always tried to use the corner steadies just enough to make firm grip on the ground.  Pity there’s no torque setting but then I guess that would vary from  caravan to caravan. 

Caravans are designed to have their weight taken on their wheels. The corner steadies are just that, steadies, not jacks.

• I agree completely 1
7 hours ago, Grumpy2 said:

The torque setting would also vary depending on how far the steadies have to be wound down. The further down they have to be lowered, the lower the torque that should be applied.

I always  set my corner steadies this way  "to the ground and then once around" and this has always worked for me!

And also if I become so infirm as to need the use of a battery drill for winding then my vanning days would probably be over anyway

• Sad 1

Reminds me of my first car a mk1 Mini. I decided to use the factory jack to lift it, these located in a socket mid way along the sill. I enthusiastically wound the handle but the car didn’t lift. On opening the door I discovered that the jack worked fine but had punched its way through the rotten outer & inner sills!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

5 minutes ago, robertB said:

I always  set my corner steadies this way  "to the ground and then once around" and this has always worked for me!

I would suggest you put a set of scales under a steady and do exactly what you have suggested, you might be unpleasantly surprised by how much extra pressure you are putting on the floor by applying that extra turn.

5 minutes ago, robertB said:

And also if I become so infirm as to need the use of a battery drill for winding then my vanning days would probably be over anyway

Things like motor movers and drills allow elderly and less able people to continue caravaning, but if you need a reason to stop caravanning then that seems a good one.

• I agree completely 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

19 minutes ago, robertB said:

It isn't a case of "need"! Why do it the hard way when there is a tool available? Or should I get rid of my aquarolls and carry gerricans instead?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • I agree completely 4
13 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

I would suggest you put a set of scales under a steady and do exactly what you have suggested, you might be unpleasantly surprised by how much extra pressure you are putting on the floor by applying that extra turn.

Watching a Caravan Club demo at the NEC Show a couple of years ago on setting up and that was exactly how they told you to do it, contact the ground then one turn. 

I use an impact gun on lowest setting and it has always worked fine, many years of doing it and never had a problem. I'm with Stevan here, if these things make life easier why bother with manual winders.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

30 minutes ago, robertB said:

Do you still use a push mower to cut your grass?

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Reminds me of my first car a mk1 Mini. I decided to use the factory jack to lift it, these located in a socket mid way along the sill. I enthusiastically wound the handle but the car didn’t lift. On opening the door I discovered that the jack worked fine but had punched its way through the rotten outer & inner sills!

. . . and the same can happen to a caravan floor if the steadies are over tightened with a full load onboard. That is why they are called 'steadies' and not 'jacks'.

17 hours ago, PR1 said:
17 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

There are none as deaf as those who refuse to listen and it's sometimes best to walk away and let them find out the error of their ways in their own time.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

7 minutes ago, Gordon said:

There are none as deaf as those who refuse to listen and it's sometimes best to walk away and let them find out the error of their ways in their own time.

Experience is often the greatest Teacher in life, especially to the hard-of-listening.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

I’ve not heard   ‘hard of listening’  before - I like it very much.    :D

John.

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

25 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

I’ve not heard   ‘hard of listening’  before - I like it very much.    :D

John.

I work with someone who is a Master at it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had an idea that mentioning drills would stir things up.  it's just that I don't get it, yes I use motor movers on my steep awkward drive and yes I use (non motorised) aquarolls and not jerry cans and I don't use a push along mower! 

But in my opinion as I only wind the steadies down and up once each trip, even at 65 years of age with a tricky back and a contrary leg, unless I have other reasons for needing to carry a drill  then I believe that it is automation gone mad.

As said, only an opinion

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I agree completely 1

Always use my de Walt for the corner steadies set on torque, probably saves around five minutes,  that's 15 minutes a trip,  about 4 hours a year for me, a good saving of time.....unless you enjoy manual winding :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SilverSurfer said:

Always use my de Walt for the corner steadies set on torque, probably saves around five minutes,  that's 15 minutes a trip,  about 4 hours a year for me, a good saving of time.....unless you enjoy manual winding :)

Steady winding is a job always needing doing at the most inopportune time, either when impatient to get under way, impatient to get home or impatient to get set up. Combined with which it is generally either too hot for energetic activity or too wet for working outside.

Every little mechanical assistance is welcome. I am surprised that built in electrical steadies are not a normal dealer option.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

I think winding steadies is quite nice excersize which gives me a moment to think about the next job, or imagine the cold beer I will enjoy in a few moments. I used to use a drill but stopped bothering with that as its just one more item of paraphenalia to be remembered - must be charged, must be put in car boot, must be put away at the end of a trip. We have simplified our caravanning and enjoy the gentle excersize as well as the relaxation.  Rushing around doing things with a noisy machine? Nah!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

Ern

I agree with Ern  ^.      I used  a drill for a while after making an adaptor ( before they became easily available ) and  I too gave up bothering with it and it now stays at home in the shed until some time when I find I need to use it for some reason.  I'm still sound in wind and limb and think that this is due to taking exercise - including leg winding!   :)

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

34 minutes ago, Fireman Iain said:

Wow, there are people who consider winding steadies as exercise?

There are people who think that lifting a gin glass is exercise. 

• Haha 1

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

1 hour ago, Fireman Iain said:

Wow, there are people who consider winding steadies as exercise?

. . . and also those who do not . . . :rolleyes:

Unless you're misusing them as jacks :o

• Like 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.