Thinking of changing car in the near future and have been looking at 2017 Volvo xc60 d5 220ps any views regards MPG, pulling power etc would be very helpful, another car in the mix is ford edge sport 210ps 

Have 2015 xc d5 2.4  5 cyl 230 Bhp (mapped) 6speed auto . Tow 1580 kg van , car fully loaded . Average 24-26 on 450 mile trip to Wales & back at speed limit . Local 100 mile round trip to coast on slower country roads average 28 mpg . Superb towcar has more than enough power .

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

2018 D5, towing 1500kgs getting mid 20’s, Solo high 30’s low 40’s. Best car we’ve had by a long way. Had a 2014 D4 previously which also brilliant hence why the 2nd one.

looked at and drove a friends edge, didnt have the same confident feel as the XC60 and from what I could see the residual values for the Volvo is better.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

This is the  car I'm looking at when I come to change in the near future after years of owning land rovers.....just hope it lives up to expectations. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, ad210358 said:

Hinchy, you surprise me, another LR owner  taking the leap.

Maybe he’s seen the horrendously expensive repair bills some are suffering (wrecked engines being one) 

I would love a Range Rover, but the fear of possible repair costs certainly put me off. 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

A man of your means Mr.P could get a RR and keep the Mazda ‘just in case’ 👍😜

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

9 hours ago, Jacko1 said:

A man of your means Mr.P could get a RR and keep the Mazda ‘just in case’ 👍😜

If only :lol:

The Ford Edge does not have very good reviews from owners.  The Edge is American designed and built, and a good number trade down to the Kuga (anecdotal evidence from the Kuga Owners forum)  

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

14 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

The Ford Edge does not have very good reviews from owners.  The Edge is American designed and built, and a good number trade down to the Kuga (anecdotal evidence from the Kuga Owners forum)  

The Edge was removed from UK market new order availability in mid 2019 because sales were so low.

14 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Maybe he’s seen the horrendously expensive repair bills some are suffering (wrecked engines being one) 

I would love a Range Rover, but the fear of possible repair costs certainly put me off. 

To be fair the car as been really reliable in its 60000 miles ....just tyres and brakes and same with my previous Freelander 2. I just think land rover are getting a bit pricey and the Discovery sport which would of been my next choice, seems to have to many issues.

I recall you from Freel2, many moons ago now. I had two Fl2’s would have another if they still made them, the Discovery Sport is not a replacement, build quality is poor, engines are poor and the dealerships abysmal, all pointy shoes and kipper ties and haven’t a clue on customer care.

Jumped ship to an XC60 D5, haven’t towed with due to 13pin electrics Issues, but solo it’s impressive.

As above. I loved our Freelander2’s. we did upwards of 100k virtually faultless miles in ours. 

But the Disco Sport doesn’t even come close to being a replacement in my eyes. 

The Volvo, like most modern SUV’s including the DS, lacks off-road ability for my needs. I pretty much don’t see the point in any of them. 

The Disco5 is a questionable styling exercise, to be kind to LR, and it’s hellish expensive. No surprise buyers are looking elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, ad210358 said:

I recall you from Freel2, many moons ago now. I had two Fl2’s would have another if they still made them, the Discovery Sport is not a replacement, build quality is poor, engines are poor and the dealerships abysmal, all pointy shoes and kipper ties and haven’t a clue on customer care.

Jumped ship to an XC60 D5, haven’t towed with due to 13pin electrics Issues, but solo it’s impressive.

Hi ad210358 what the issue with the 13 pin plug and last time I spoke to you....you was being made redundant....how did you get on, good I hope. 

I’ve got d4 my mpg today was 26.8 this was done on very hilly A roads from North Yorkshire to Southport pulling 1500 kg

• Thanks 1

We have a an XC90 after three XC60s. The D5 Momentum Powerpulse (235 Bhp) tows a Buccaneer Commodore (max up 2000Kg) and returns about 29MPG when towing. Acceleration is astonishing and the stability is even better. Returned back yesterday from North Yorkshire at the legal limit and steady as a rock. For my money go with Volvo. I looked at the Ford Edge (and JLR) about two years ago and the Ford reviews were very poor. In simple terms, I will stick with Volvo until I go to the great rehearsal room in the sky. Simple as that. Hope this helps.  

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

I had an XC90 for a couple of weeks as a courtesy car, a B5 something or other, went like stink!! Was a very nice car indeed, never towed with one though. I read recently that the new XC90 was the most unreliable large SUV out there.

Coachman VIP 575. Mercedes ML 250 auto, One wife, three kids, five Grandkids.

Has the fuel consumption improved on the XC90? Early models needed a supertanker on the tow hitch I understand.  

13 hours ago, Colinf70 said:

I’ve got d4 my mpg today was 26.8 this was done on very hilly A roads from North Yorkshire to Southport pulling 1500 kg

I also have the D4 but in a 2018 V90. I keep an eye on the economy and over the 14 months I’ve had it I get 29mpg towing a 1624kg twin axle, I sit at 55mph behind HGV’s and I average 61mpg solo on my 100 mile commute BUT that’s not exceeding 65mph and it’s all motorway.

I really do like the Volvo and for me the D4 engine is great.

• Thanks 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Another plus for an XC60 is the backup you get from Volvo Assistance 

We were about to pack up the car and the end of our stay at Rosemarkie north of Inverness when I noticed a puncture in the rear tyre .

With the ground a bit soft and uneven I called Volvo Assistance. They advised that this was not a problem and that someone would be with me within the hour. Precisely 25 minutes later while I was getting the space saver out I noticed the warden speaking to the breakdown driver.

Advised where to get the puncture repaired then back to the site and on our way.

The only downside that I have found with Volvo ownership is that main-dealer maintenance is expensive.  However, independent garages will be less but even then the price of spares are high.  I have just replaced my front brake pads, they are nothing special (they don't even have a wear indicator sensor) and a set of pattern pads were £95!!!!!  I eventually got a set locally discounted down to £65 but even so, it's a lot of money for a set of pads.  Fitting was straight forward and took me less than an hour. 

• Thanks 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB