A little damp please help

On our last trip I found a small patch of spongy wall, looking outside at exactly the same point I have rust marks on the outside.  I suspect the joint has started to leak, at the moment the damage is very little and I intend to clean the joint in the outer wall and seal it with clear silicone unless anybody has a better idea, I am only guessing .

Damp 2 resized.jpg

Damp 1 resized.jpg

Would think that sealing the outer wall would trap the leaking water inside and make matters worse. The water must be coming from above and running down inside the wall and out through the joint. 

• Sad 1
  • I agree completely 1
1 minute ago, Dobloseven said:

Would think that sealing the outer wall would trap the leaking water inside and make matters worse. The water must be coming from above and running down inside the wall and out through the joint. 

I hadn't thought of that, the only damp bit is by the rust I will check higher up

That could well be a leak at the top the window (a common leak point), which tracks down the window frame and then inside of the aluminium skin and out through the seam. Some however soaks into the inner skin, hence the "spongy" patch.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gtepete said:

When damp repaired, silicone the mid body seam on both sides....

Silicone is not particularly good at sticking to painted aluminium, it tends to separate from one surface or the other leaving a hairline gap that water can track through.

There are better products and I have no doubt that others will suggest which ones.

• Thanks 1

Following the advice, today I resealed all the windows on the caravan. It is 13 years old so due for it, I hope that sorts the problem, I will get up and check the roof in the next day or 2 but I need to get some more silkaflex first.