Shortage of 6 kilo calor propane bottles

On 10/09/2020 at 09:02, DottieD said:

Thanks for the reply.

According to the Calor site I can replace the 6kg steel propane bottle with Calor lite, and vice versa, without taking out a new agreement.

It's only if you go to a different grouping of bottles that a charge is incurred.

I'll pick up a Calor Lite this morning.

It has been my experience in Scotland that a few gas suppliers just make up their own rules about Calorlite bottles.

A few have refused to exchange a 6 kilo empty for a full Calorlite in that case I just take the full 6 kilo bottle and change back to lite when its empty.

44 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

LeadFarmer, I would like to know where you got the fact that it is illegal to refill Calor bottles.

I know Calor states that you can’t refill them but Calor do not make the law.

Ian

I suppose its people purchasing refill kits on ebay and using them on garage forecourts to refill Calor propane bottles that has led to propane gas pumps being withdrawn?

2 minutes ago, ancell said:

It has been my experience in Scotland that a few gas suppliers just make up their own rules about Calorlite bottles.

That happens everywhere, always has, always will.  Many Calor gas cylinder resellers won't do anything but a like-for-like swap of bottles - possibly as that makes their accounting / ordering simpler.

AIUI only the full Calor Dealer / Agents must (should) obey the swap rules and even then there's some official Calor paperwork to fill out to complete the process.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

• 2 weeks later...

After my post concerning shortages of 6 kilo Calor propane bottles in the north east highlands I have moved to Aberdeenshire and not surprised to find no 6 Kilo bottles to be had in Fraserburgh!

What is going on??

It appears that once you go outside big populations in Scotland Calor are just not supplying 6 kilo bottles to rural stockists.

Definately considering alternatives eg flogas and J gas.

There's a national shortage. 
Mainly due to the staycation boost

Here

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

15 hours ago, ancell said:

After my post concerning shortages of 6 kilo Calor propane bottles in the north east highlands I have moved to Aberdeenshire and not surprised to find no 6 Kilo bottles to be had in Fraserburgh!

What is going on??

It appears that once you go outside big populations in Scotland Calor are just not supplying 6 kilo bottles to rural stockists.

Definately considering alternatives eg flogas and J gas.

Flogas seems to have the same problem their web site shows their lightweight cylinders out of stock

We were lucky , the garden centre where OH works have both 15kg Butane   and 6kg Propane in stock , so we exchanged one of each , so BBQ and caravan are ok for gas for the foreseeable  future .

As an aside we also have a 6kg “LE Cube “ propane from France , so even if we run out over there we are covered , unlikely though as we generally  carry 2x6kg Propane and cook on a portable electric hob from Lakeland

• 3 weeks later...

No one seems to have 6Kg propane around me (Suffolk)  They are even out at the main depot in Bury St Edmunds. They tell me calor is short on bottles!

We have an Energas bottle, not as widely available, but we're lucky in that there's a depot in Derby.  If they don't have any bottles on site ready filled they refill your existing bottle for you.  I got a fill up last week and it was £17 and some pence.

No problem near St Neots, plenty of 6kg propane in stock. Brand new bottle as well!

Edited by JohnPat

OK, smug git time!!!

I currently have THREE full Calor lite’s :D 

As we use EHU all the time they should last me a few years. On an extended continental trip (9 weeks) we used about 50% of a single cylinder. We do however have a single induction hob and that must save us a lot of gas.

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Why do you need three? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

1 minute ago, WispMan said:

Why do you need three? 

I don’t need three, I just happen to have them. I have had two for a good few years and a friend gave me another full one when he packed in caravanning as “payment” for doing some repair work I did on his car.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

OK, smug git time!!!

I currently have THREE full Calor lite’s :D 

As we use EHU all the time they should last me a few years. On an extended continental trip (9 weeks) we used about 50% of a single cylinder. We do however have a single induction hob and that must save us a lot of gas.

That's where they all are!!! ;)

• I agree completely 1

Indeed :D  :D :D :P

Edited by Mr Plodd

Flogas have a shortage of propane bottles.

Is it the gas the problem?

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

I've just got back from a week off grid on Bodmin Moor and got a 6kg propane, at the standard Calor price, from our local North Devon caravan shop.

They only had Calor Lites in stock - 3 available when I called them - 2 available when I arrived at the shop 15 minutes later.

Guy in the shop said that he'd had a delivery 2 days previously and that they'd flown out.

At least he didn't rip me off to the tune of £31 like they did for the last one I had to buy from a non local owned garage in Barnstaple.

On 20/10/2020 at 16:29, craigderby said:

We have an Energas bottle, not as widely available, but we're lucky in that there's a depot in Derby.  If they don't have any bottles on site ready filled they refill your existing bottle for you.  I got a fill up last week and it was £17 and some pence.

We also use Energas, live in West Yorkshire, I have an account with them and got a 6Kg refill from them for £10.60p it was a couple of years ago though. I've been "helping" a friend to use up some gas bottles which we found whilst clearing out his late uncle's garage. 

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.