*Help* Was I too Rude?!!

He's a "Liar ,Liar Pants on Fire" . :D... Wouldn't bother yer bazooka he was obviously at it and no doubt some poor soul with Mr Magoo eyes will buy it ! Reminds me when I returned to the fold. I drove 45 minutes to look at an old 4 berth with in my budget. Lovely wee pictures  with the dinette set up with a tea set and flowers etc... Lovely ....

Asked the Golden question if it had any damp . No was the reply  so 45 minutes later after our brief phone call entered a very smelly van . It was that wet I never even bothered with the damp meter as I could press the spongy off side wall with my fingers leaving finger marks wondering to myself what else is wrong with the van. Was like pressing soft putty. How he thought he could get away with it God only knows . My comment "you having a laugh " and walked away ..... Soldier on Sire a lesson learned... 

GAS ....

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

If he was not willing to let you check for damp then assume the worst. This was an essential question  given the age, and if you did not ask it then you were letting yourself open to serious problems. 
The fact that the price seemed low is a warning in itself. 

On 09/09/2020 at 11:26, Off Gridd said:

Hello Everyone, 

I sent him a private message asking if there is any damp or work that needs to be carried out and if I can bring a damp meter to check dampness in the caravan. He replied to me that there's not a single spot of damp in the van and then blocked me!

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your kind help! 

Read THIS  for more advice on buying a caravan which might help you.

Edited by BOAC
On 09/09/2020 at 11:39, Brecon said:

The seller has something to hide.

A crack in a window is NOT fine !!! it is a fault and an expensive one to put right.

Any seller who is reluctant to allow any sort of inspection is to be avoided like the plague.

As for Faceache,,sorry Facebook,,,,,,,,,,,anything on there is dubious to say the least.

We bought our caravan from Facebook, nice people and a good van

3 minutes ago, robertB said:

I never have and never will have anything to do with  Farcebook  (no not a spelling mistake)

I feel exactly the same, AND also in regards to Twatter !!!

(No spelling mistake there either) 

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

On 09/09/2020 at 11:26, Off Gridd said:

Hello Everyone, 
I'm new to caravaning and something weird happened to me this morning... I don't know if my request to the seller was rude or unreasonable?!? 

Basically, I found a 2006 Caravelair antares luxe 486 on Facebook marketplace. It's my dream van but it was about 2 hours drive from my location. I would say the caravan would cost £4000- £5000 (I'm no expert here) but it was on sale for £3500 o.n.o. 

The seller didn't mention the word damp at all in the advert. However, he did say the van has a crack in a window and it was fine. He also mentioned that everything was working as it should.

I sent him a private message asking if there is any damp or work that needs to be carried out and if I can bring a dampometer to check dampness in the caravan. He replied to me that there's not a single spot of damp in the van and then blocked me! 

I was devastated, lol, I know I should move on with my life, lol, but I loved that van so much and was prepared to buy it! 

Now my questions are... was I  being too unreasonable? Was I too rude? Perhaps my wording was not correct? Was it a scam? English is only my fourth language, lol, so I'm wondering if are there any other ways to ask or let a seller know that we'd like to perform a damp test in the van? Next time, shall I just drive 2 hours with my dampometer and have a wasted journey if there is damp? 

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your kind help! 

Excellent question to ask and totally reasonable too, I would have asked the same, and yes you should bring a damp meter when purchasing any van. Seems like you were being scammed.

If you do take a meter, just be careful how you use it. If its the 'two prong' variety, the seller isn't going to be too impressed with lots of little holes dotted around his unit!

Although, the seller of one particular Fleetwood in Bury was very unhappy when i found his unit riddled with damp. Considering it was him who wasted my time and a 100 mile round trip thanks to his less than honest description, i thought it was him who was taking the proverbial.  Got quite heated.

Lunar Solaris 524