On my Phoenix there is a bank of 4 x 25 amp fuses at the very front under the nearside bench. I enquired of Bailey what they are for. Here’s their answer

Good morning,

Providing we are talking about the same block of 4, they should be N / side and O /side rear lighting, feed for fridge and feed for battery, this all needs live feed from your car hook-up.

Best regards,

Bob Swain
Retailer Services Engineer

17F3A1F1-6EA0-40A9-A2D3-D147FC88C2E7.jpeg

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

On my 2015 U3 Cadiz the four 25amp fuses  are.. the always live feed fuse and return fuse (pins 9 & 13 on the 13 pin plug) and the fridge feed fuse and return fuse (Pins 10 &11 on the 13 pin plug). The fuses don't have anything to do with the van road lights.

I just posted the response I had from Bailey customer service. I did think 25 amp was a bit high for the road lights, I will check next time I hitch up. 

13 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

On my Phoenix there is a bank of 4 x 25 amp fuses at the very front under the nearside bench. I enquired of Bailey what they are for. Here’s their answer

Good morning,

Providing we are talking about the same block of 4, they should be N / side and O /side rear lighting, feed for fridge and feed for battery, this all needs live feed from your car hook-up.

Best regards,

Bob Swain
Retailer Services Engineer

17F3A1F1-6EA0-40A9-A2D3-D147FC88C2E7.jpeg

Evening Mr P.

I can't make out the wiring colours properly from the photo's and some are hidden, but a few observations.

On any fused or non fused transition / connection  from trailer plug wiring loom,13 pin or 12N, 12S, to van wiring loom, you would expect to see the conventional trailer loom colours on one side of the connection block / fuse block and the van loom colours on the other, which could be totally different.

Bob Swain says " they should be N / side and O /side rear lighting," ............ what about the o/s, n/s. front and side, if fitted, marker lights ?

25A fuses would obviously  be expected for fridge and battery charging circuits, but certainly not for conventional bulbed  N/S , O/S, side lights, less so if they are LED's.

But, to save all these types  of questions on such as CT and I presume many other caravan forums and troubling such as Bob, poor soul, ( who appears at first sight, depending what you find the fuses are actually for Mr P. )  not to know his product, wouldn't it be wonderful if all caravan manufacturers spent a miniscule amount of their profit on £20K , £30K,  £40K vans, to provide one page in their owner manuals to show 1) the location of all fuse box's , banks of fuses, hidden fuses, 2) their value, 3) all the consumers they supply.

Easily done with a smart phone camera and simple photo editing software !

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Silversurf said:

, wouldn't it be wonderful if all caravan manufacturers spent a miniscule amount of their profit on £20K , £30K,  £40K vans, to provide one page in their owner manuals to show 1) the location of all fuse box's , banks of fuses, hidden fuses, 2) their value, 3) all the consumers they supply.

Easily done with a smart phone camera and simple photo editing software !

I agree with you 100% It really is not good enough that we should have to hunt around for fuses. Even worse when we find them there is not the slightest indication as to what they protect! 

I eventually found my main battery fuse, it required me to physically remove a piece of boarding located under one of the benches. Six screws involved and even then it was buried under a wiring loom. Imagine trying to find that on site at 10pm! I extended the wiring and installed a re-setable circuit breaker that’s easy to access, but I shouldn’t have needed too should I.

Andy.

Whilst I was researching the installation of the Sterling Wildside, another Bailey owner used that fuse block to take the feed to and from the Wildside. That owner found that all four lines were positive and negative feed to the fridge and the charging circuit, which follows the theory of the 25a fuses.

That owners wiring from memory also did not follow the trailer wiring colours as by the time the wiring had got to that point, it had also been through a junction box where the wiring was changed. I think the original post was on this forum years ago, try a search under Sterling Wildside if you wanted to have a look.

Cheers.

Jiff.

• Thanks 1