Truma water heater

Allan longhorn

Hi there 

I have just bought a swift cardinal 2009 and the hot water heater is not working on electric it works on gas fine it's a truma heater and was just wondering if there's a common problem with these or something I should be looking at iv checked fuses and all good any help would be great 

The worst scenario is that the element has burnt out so will need replacing.   However before you do that you need to know that the terminals are receiving current.     If you're not sure how to do that, get some one in to do it for you.   A 230 volts shock can kill!  

:unsure: Should you need a new element, there's a shock of a different kind awaiting you. :lol:  The price!

• Haha 1

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Just replaced the 850 w heater element in our Truma Ultrastore.

Cost me £119.95 for the element and a couple of quid extra for a connector.

10 hours ago, DottieD said:

Cost me £119.95 for the element and a couple of quid extra for a connector.

How can they justify such a price when a similar heating element for a washing machine can be bought for between £12 and £25.  

• I agree completely 1

The trick would be to identify what the element is.   I would bet my house on Truma not making the element and my car on it not being a unique design

• I agree completely 1

29 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

How can they justify such a price when a similar heating element for a washing machine can be bought for between £12 and £25.  

They dont !"

It is simply a case of "If you need it, it is going to cost you ,a lot, just like anything marine associated.

On 13/09/2020 at 09:56, Jaydug said:

It's because it's a 'Leisure' item innit?

• 1 month later...

Surely in the entire world there’s a cheaper 230v element and thermostat that fits. I’ve seen these at an insane £145 too, it’s greedy. Someone will know where to get a more affordable one

On 13/09/2020 at 09:59, fred said:

The trick would be to identify what the element is.   I would bet my house on Truma not making the element and my car on it not being a unique design

10 minutes ago, B Rob said:

Surely in the entire world there’s a cheaper 230v element and thermostat that fits. I’ve seen these at an insane £145 too, it’s greedy. Someone will know where to get a more affordable one

Truma may not make them Fred so your house is safe but it does look like it is a unique design so you've lost your car ???

If there are no spurious or compatible ones on Ebay, Amazon or the internet from China ? you can bet your garden shed that they are unique, more than likely not made by Truma, but made in batches for Truma by a heating element manufacturer, with the  ' we've got them, they are unique, if you want one the price is £x and no haggling ' ?

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Silversurf said:

more than likely not made by Truma, but made in batches for Truma

Another example of Truma's greedy pricing is the two heat switches in the bottom of the Ultraheat.   Current price is around £30 for each one.    I remember about ten years ago they could be bought on ebay for around a tenner for both of them.    But no longer.    And the current price shouldn't be much more now.   See this price list.        There are dozens of different switching temperatures and they  are all priced from two quid to a fiver.    Probably if the temperatures of the Truma switches could be matched, they could be bought at a sensible price.

2 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Another example of Truma's greedy pricing is the two heat switches in the bottom of the Ultraheat.   Current price is around £30 for each one.    I remember about ten years ago they could be bought on ebay for around a tenner for both of them.    But no longer.    And the current price shouldn't be much more now.   See this price list.        There are dozens of different switching temperatures and they  are all priced from two quid to a fiver.    Probably if the temperatures of the Truma switches could be matched, they could be bought at a sensible price.

They will be an off the shelf item as your link shows, Farnells also do them both, thermostats and thermal cut outs, all that is needed to be known is the package profile and temperature cut off or range at prices around 25%  that of the manufacturers single prices and far less when bulk bought.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes: