Unknown switch function

Hello - new to this and caravan, so please excuse if i'm being dumb.

I have a Bailey Senator Arizona 2005, that I am borrowing from my mum and dad.

They purchased it 2nd hand or so a few years back, but have only ever stuck to basic's and don't know what what half the switches, knobs and flaps do in the van. 

I am gradually working through - but one has me stumped.

Just above floor level, just as you step into the van, mounted by the door frame is a switch - like a light switch. 

It doesn't control the exterior light above the door, and there are switches further up, that operate the 12v supply to the main lights, and a second one that operates a spot light inside the door.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

Danny, :welcome: to Caravan Talk.

Some Baileys of that era had a small light on the A-frame aimed at lighting up the gas locker, when it’s  door is opened - and it had a switch near the door so that you could just lean in to turn it on.

CFA7DAFB-BA30-4726-81B1-5AEFE80734A8.thumb.jpeg.562d97ff09a12fc4076e42bf19423094.jpeg

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Yeah - we have a Lunar which has the same switch that controls a light on the A frame.

Like it...may look at a retro light and switch  fit for my Ranger...thats after I sort out  a switch for the front and rear  side lights so can be lit whilst off the car... 

3 minutes ago, gtepete said:

Like it...may look at a retro light and switch  fit for my Ranger...thats after I sort out  a switch for the front and rear  side lights so can be lit whilst off the car... 

Why would you want those lights on when not connected to the tow car??

Please don’t be offended but what is the weight of your towcar and the caravan? If the maximum permitted combination exceeds 3500kg and you passed your test after 1st January 1997 you will need to have passed and additional (B+E) driving test

If you are aware of that then I apologise, but a lot of people are not. If you passed your car test prior to 01/01/97 you are OK licence wise.

• I do not understand 4
  • I disagree 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Read the very first line of the original post!

First post by the OP and he is borrowing a caravan from his parents. That leads me to believe he has never towed a caravan before. Therefore a bit of advice re weights and licences seemed appropriate. It might just stop him from doing something illegal. 

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • I disagree 3
  • I agree completely 1

55 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Why would you want those lights on when not connected to the tow car??

Please don’t be offended but what is the weight of your towcar and the caravan? If the maximum permitted combination exceeds 3500kg and you passed your test after 1st January 1997 you will need to have passed and additional (B+E) driving test

If you are aware of that then I apologise, but a lot of people are not. If you passed your car test prior to 01/01/97 you are OK licence wise.

Keeps the van legal when manoeuvring on the road at night ...plus makes it easier to find your pitch. Noticed some caravans have this function as standard..

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Read the very first line of the original post!

First post by the OP and he is borrowing a caravan from his parents. That leads me to believe he has never towed a caravan before. Therefore a bit of advice re weights and licences seemed appropriate. It might just stop him from doing something illegal. 

He didn't say anything about towing, just borrowing, and his profile does not nominate a vehicle, only the caravan.

• Like 1
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 2

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

2 hours ago, Woodentop said:

He didn't say anything about towing, just borrowing, and his profile does not nominate a vehicle, only the caravan.

Agreed, but neither of us know do we? Not everyone posts full information on their profile.

I was just trying to possibly help the guy out, what’s so wrong with that?? If it was me, and somebody pointed out something I was blissfully unaware of, and  could Land me in a spot of bother I would be very grateful for the “heads up”, wouldn’t you?

• I disagree 4
  • I agree completely 1

4 hours ago, gtepete said:

Keeps the van legal when manoeuvring on the road at night ...plus makes it easier to find your pitch. Noticed some caravans have this function as standard..

I think you will find it’s the grab handles that light up, not the road lights. 
there is something in the regulations that require caravan circuits to be separate from road lights. This clause would seem to prevent you doing what you suggest

Thanks all for the replies - that gives me some ideas to go after.

With regards to towing..

The van is firmly planted on a site at the moment - so no plans to tow - I've only got a Fiesta at the moment, and no hitch, so i'm not going anywhere under my own steam.

I passed my test in the eighties, I have towed a caravan once for a friend over a relatively short distance - not the same, but used to tow a double horse box, and my nag about to shows on a regular bases - not with the Fiesta of course!

Moving forward to your original question it may even be a switch that operates something that has been added by a previous owner.

I have added a caravan style switch that controls a fridge fan-just a thought obviously.

Danny

As you can see a number of people have chosen to disagree with my initial post in regards to your question. Can I please ask you a question. Did you find my post (concerning a possible issue with your driving licence) was wrong, or did you feel I was trying to help you? bearing in mind the explanation(s) I gave later to clarify why it was done. Did you feel I was trying to help?

If you felt I was out of order then, as I put in my original post, I once more apologise to you here and now. 

Thanks in advance

Andy 

• Like 1

Can we please move on and concentrate on the threads title rather than explore tow cars even further. 

• Haha 1
  • I agree completely 2

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

On 08/09/2020 at 17:00, gtepete said:

We went into the pound shop and bought 2 push button lights that stick to the bulk head in the gas locker just replace the battery every year no drilling no wiring .

• I agree completely 1

now retired and loving it

42 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

a photo of the switch and it's position would help.

Not sure if it would help Dave, as Danny says it’s like a light switch and positioned low down by the door … so unless there’s a label saying “Gas locker light” or some such, then a photo won’t help.

John

28 minutes ago, mickfishing said:

We went into the pound shop and bought 2 push button lights that stick to the bulk head in the gas locker just replace the battery every year no drilling no wiring .

Strictly speaking it's dangerous to have anything electrical, even a small battery light, inside the gas locker.

Why? because a spark can cause an explosion if there is a gas leak.

Unlikely I know, but these things come about following actual explosions caused by just that.

You'll find the makers fit the light OUTSIDE the gas locker such that they shine into it.

What you choose to do about it is up to you.

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Danny

As you can see a number of people have chosen to disagree with my initial post in regards to your question. Can I please ask you a question. Did you find my post (concerning a possible issue with your driving licence) was wrong, or did you feel I was trying to help you? bearing in mind the explanation(s) I gave later to clarify why it was done. Did you feel I was trying to help?

If you felt I was out of order then, as I put in my original post, I once more apologise to you here and now. 

Thanks in advance

Andy 

Andy you have retired ... Yi need to change that yon "traffic cop intuition" :D .... Yes you were being helpful and DannyB has brought us all up to date .... :welcome: Danny . I hope your new experience in caravanning  opens many doors.... 

GAS ....;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Thanks GAS

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your comments,

A new bulb, some cleaning of rust off a couple of spade terminals and the light unit itself and I now have a fully working light on the A-frame - via the  unknown switch.

Brilliant - much appreciated :Thankyou:

21 hours ago, kelper said:

and the horse too?:)

No comment - it could end in tears (for me) :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That’s great Danny, thanks for getting back to let us know. I think a light on the A-frame should be part of every manufacture’s spec 🙂.

As a newcomer to the forum you wouldn’t know that you usually get the correct answer to to your question almost straight away … but then the thread will drift off into all sorts of areas which may not be relevant to your original question … don’t be put off by this and please do continue contributing.

John

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1
7 hours ago, DannyB001 said:

A new bulb, some cleaning of rust off a couple of spade terminals and the light unit itself and I now have a fully working light on the A-frame - via the  unknown switch.

What a clever idea.  I've  never noticed one on any caravan.  Sod's law says gas bottles only ever need changing when it's dark  and raining.