Jump to content

Lunar Caravan Warranty Issues


Recommended Posts

I've got an ongoing warranty claim, that the supplying dealer is waiting for a reply from Lunar for authorisation.

 

Can't see if happening now, wonder what my next steps should be to force the dealers to resolve it instead

 

 

Lunar Solaris 524

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, littlebasher said:

I've got an ongoing warranty claim, that the supplying dealer is waiting for a reply from Lunar for authorisation.

 

Can't see if happening now, wonder what my next steps should be to force the dealers to resolve it instead

 

 

I would be inclined to do that. You have to give them a reasonable opportunity to repair or replace, but if it's been going on for weeks or months, denying you proper enjoyment of the product, how can that be reasonable. 

Reading the comments above, it sounds as if the dealers will be left holding the babies anyway. They should focus on that, bite the bullet and try and keep/restore some customer confidence.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Lunar was 12 months old last June and a cracked rear panel was found at first service, just as Lunar went under,long story short,got no joy from supplying dealer ref warranty claim,bit the bullet and got rid against a Swift, dealer sold the Lunar on in 4 days, I don't know what happened about the cracked rear panel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, littlebasher said:

I've got an ongoing warranty claim, that the supplying dealer is waiting for a reply from Lunar for authorisation.

 

Can't see if happening now, wonder what my next steps should be to force the dealers to resolve it instead

 

 


Whilst the dealer can wait all they like for a reply from the manufacturer, it does not absolve them from their obligations under consumer law as they supplied the goods.

 

They have to either fix it or refund you at their expense.

 

Did you use a finance company or pay any amount on a credit card?
If you did then they are jointly and severally responsible as the dealer.

  • I agree completely 2

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

 

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Did you use a finance company or pay any amount on a credit card?
If you did then they are jointly and severally responsible as the dealer.

 

Fortunately both, paid a deposit on a CC and the rest is financed.

 

I'll start with the dealer, i've already struggled to speak to their warranty team directly so will try them first before i go off to the finance company!

 

I suspect they'll make it as difficult as possible

Lunar Solaris 524

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, littlebasher said:

 

Fortunately both, paid a deposit on a CC and the rest is financed.

 

I'll start with the dealer, i've already struggled to speak to their warranty team directly so will try them first before i go off to the finance company!

 

I suspect they'll make it as difficult as possible

 

Just go direct to the finance company customer services - they will deal with it all and relieve you of the stress - let them do the arguing !!

Edited by pondskater292
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the finance company have equal responsibility so contact them. I am assuming this was the dealers finance scheme as if you took a personal loan then this will not apply. Any payment on a credit card will give you a similar right against the issuer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pondskater292 said:

 

Just go direct to the finance company customer services - they will deal with it all and relieve you of the stress - let them do the arguing !!

 

The finance company will expect you to fully engage with the dealer first and have exhausted the dealers complaints procedure, before they will get fully involved in your complaint.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

 

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/09/2020 at 12:56, Grandpa Steve said:

 

The finance company will expect you to fully engage with the dealer first and have exhausted the dealers complaints procedure, before they will get fully involved in your complaint.

 

Simply the fact that the repair has not occurred in a reasonable timescale will suffice for the finance company, remember that technically they own the goods and they will fight tooth and nail with the dealer to prevent a buy back / refund !

 

They also carry more "clout" especially if it is Black Horse....

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, pondskater292 said:

 

Simply the fact that the repair has not occurred in a reasonable timescale will suffice for the finance company, remember that technically they own the goods and they will fight tooth and nail with the dealer to prevent a buy back / refund !

 

They also carry more "clout" especially if it is Black Horse....

 

If you say so!

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

 

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Email fired off to dealer expressing my dissatisfaction, if it's anything like the rest of my emails i doubt i'll get a reply without chasing them on the phone over and over and over......

Lunar Solaris 524

Link to post
Share on other sites

The finance company should get involved from the start. Not had that problem with a caravan but when we had problems with a kitchen they did not require that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, littlebasher said:

Email fired off to dealer expressing my dissatisfaction, if it's anything like the rest of my emails i doubt i'll get a reply without chasing them on the phone over and over and over......

When you sent the Email was it possable for you to receive notification "Email has been read"--some servers do this . If you have that on your server do a screen shot of it--then they can not say they havent received /read it.......

dave

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I rather think many Lunar dealers will be struggling with claims that they are liable for and it could send many to the wall and they will have to avoid them to survive. If there is a finance company involved they are a safer bet and far more likely to deal with the problem.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing as a caravan warranty is between the buyer and the dealer, you really need both the dealer and manufacturer to remain in business. If the dealer goes under they you lose your warranty unless the manufacturer appoints a different dealer. If the manufacturer goes under then your dealer can claim not to be abel to obtain the parts needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I got black horse involved when the dealer rejected my complaint of a cracked panel.  (the caravan is now 4 year old and had problems from year 2.)  I had only sent 1 or 2 emails to the dealer.  BH  got involved very quickly  and within a few months sent an examiner to our caravan.  He completed a report and within a few weeks BH agreed to pay for all the repairs that were due to manufacturing faults.  I just have to find someone to do the repairs now as we need a full new back panel due to large crack and extensive water ingress which may prove difficult.   I found BH very helpful  so I'd go along that route!  

On 08/09/2020 at 12:56, Grandpa Steve said:

 

The finance company will expect you to fully engage with the dealer first and have exhausted the dealers complaints procedure, before they will get fully involved in your complaint.

I found the exact opposite.  I emailed the dealer a couple of times only and BH have agreed to pay for the repair

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found it very difficult to speak to the warrant dept of my dealer.

 

Spoke to them today (after waiting 2 weeks with no reply), they claim that Lunar are reopening on the 1st Nov and to wait for them get a response after then. I also requested they confirm this by replying to my email - nothing so far.

 

I think we all know that Lunar are unlikely to reopen in any useful capacity

 

They're trying to claim that the windows can only be supplied by Lunar - pretty sure they are a standard Dometic unit.

 

May just throw it at the finance company and see what they think

 

 

Edited by littlebasher

Lunar Solaris 524

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, alibabaxx said:

I got black horse involved when the dealer rejected my complaint of a cracked panel.  (the caravan is now 4 year old and had problems from year 2.)  I had only sent 1 or 2 emails to the dealer.  BH  got involved very quickly  and within a few months sent an examiner to our caravan.  He completed a report and within a few weeks BH agreed to pay for all the repairs that were due to manufacturing faults.  I just have to find someone to do the repairs now as we need a full new back panel due to large crack and extensive water ingress which may prove difficult.   I found BH very helpful  so I'd go along that route!  

I found the exact opposite.  I emailed the dealer a couple of times only and BH have agreed to pay for the repair


The fact Is that the dealer rejected your complaint, therefore the finance company had to get involved.

 

Had you not exhausted the dealers complaints procedure your finance company would not have got involved as quickly, so my statement stands.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

 

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be clear:-

The old company, Lunar Caravans no longer exists.

 

Warranties issued by Lunar Caravans died with the company.

 

Lunar Automotive has no legal responsibility for warranties issued by Lunar Caravans but has stated a willingness to honour those warranties under certain specific conditions. To what extent it will actually honour those warranties is yet to be seen, but it is entirely at their discretion.

 

Dealers have no legal responsibility for warranties issued by Lunar Caravans.

 

Dealers still have responsibilities to buyers under the CRA and these are defined by the CRA irrespective of the wording of any warranty.

 

Refusal of Lunar Automotive to honour any warranty issued by Lunar Caravans does not alter the dealer's responsibility under the CRA.

  • I agree completely 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Refusal of Lunar Automotive to honour any warranty issued by Lunar Caravans does not alter the dealer's responsibility under the CRA.

 

I agree, but if a Lunar replacement part is required, but isn't available to be sourced, then what can the dealer do? Offering financial  compensation won't repair the problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

 

I agree, but if a Lunar replacement part is required, but isn't available to be sourced, then what can the dealer do? Offering financial  compensation won't repair the problem.

Any repair for which parts are unavailable is a problem, whether covered by CRA or not.

Financial compensation may be the only remaining option, but the CRA puts the responsibility on the dealer if the fault falls within its terms.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stevan said:

Any repair for which parts are unavailable is a problem, whether covered by CRA or not.

Financial compensation may be the only remaining option, but the CRA puts the responsibility on the dealer if the fault falls within its terms.

Section 23(3) CRA 2015:

(3)The consumer cannot require the trader to repair or replace the goods if that remedy (the repair or the replacement)—

(a) is impossible, or

(b) is disproportionate compared to the other of those remedies.

 

If the parts are no longer available, e.g. manufacturer ceased trading,  making a repair or replacement impossible the seller cannot be required to achieve the impossible so is not responsible.

 

A proportionate price reduction or refund would be the only option remaining.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

 

 

If the parts are no longer available, e.g. manufacturer ceased trading,  making a repair or replacement impossible the seller cannot be required to achieve the impossible so is not responsible.

 

Poor choice of wording on my part. I was not implying that the dealer had to do the impossible, rather that he had to come up with a financial solution if that was the best he could do, he cannot simply wash his hands of the matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Poor choice of wording on my part. I was not implying that the dealer had to do the impossible, rather that he had to come up with a financial solution if that was the best he could do, he cannot simply wash his hands of the matter.

Quite. I was just pointing out that the seller also has some protection within the legislation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stevan said:

Poor choice of wording on my part. I was not implying that the dealer had to do the impossible, rather that he had to come up with a financial solution if that was the best he could do, he cannot simply wash his hands of the matter.

 

Seems a bit unfair on the dealer in my opinion. If they can't carry out the repair because the manufacturer has gone under then that's not the dealers fault. Though if the customers warranty was with the manufacturer then the customer would be in an even worse position, with no recompense at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...