Grandpa Steve

CMC Caravan Insurance Renewal

Just go the renewal through for this year, its less than last year but........

There is a list of amendments to the policy and this one has me scratching my head

image.png

I have yet to phone them to enquire exactly what you end up with if this occurred!

Update - just on with the CMC Insurance team, asked the question and got  a "that's a very good question, can I put you on hold whilst I ask the powers that be"!

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Which one, Steve?

John

• Like 1

So just come off the phone having spoken to one of the policy Risk Assessors.

They tried to tell me it was aimed at older caravans that parts are not readily available for, where they could repair it but as even parts from breakers yards are not available.

My response was that they should try telling that to someone that last year bought a Lunar, not only can they not get parts, they can't even get warranty claims sorted.

I also said that it is an accepted fact that even on caravans still in production the manufacturer will not take a front or back panel off the line to provide for a repair, when everything they order in is Just in Time, and dealers have to wait weeks and months for spares to repair them.

I am now waiting from someone in the claims assessment team to ring me.

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

The policy used to say that in the event of parts not being available they would pay the last published makers price. Not quite sure if this is an addition to that clause to clarify the position, as that one as it stands does not say what they will do. 

Are they thinking of Lunar and the unavailability of parts ?

Or unavailability of parts due to factory Covid shutdowns?

Land Rover Defender 110 300tdi & 2019 Swift Aventura M4SB

Update - I have had a call today which confirms that under the terms of the Caravan & Motorhome Insurance, the conditions highlighted in my first post means if the damage is beyond economical repair then they will pay out new for old.

However if the damage to your caravan is repairable but the repairer is unable to get the necessary parts to repair the damage, then the C&MC will return your damaged caravan and a cash adjustment equal to what they perceive to be the last know cost of the parts and the estimated labour costs or the repair.

They have also confirmed that those with Lunar caravans are being looked at on an individual basis, and that behind the scenes they are trying to find a company that might manufacture panels for them.

27 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

However if the damage to your caravan is repairable but the repairer is unable to get the necessary parts to repair the damage, then the CMC will return your damaged caravan and a cash adjustment equal to what they perceive to be the last know cost of the parts and the estimated labour costs or the repair.

Does that mean you get your damaged van back, plus an amount of cash equal to the amount that would have been needed to carry out the repair? if so, you end up with the repair value as cash, and a damaged caravan thats only worth it's scrap value?

14 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Does that mean you get your damaged van back, plus an amount of cash equal to the amount that would have been needed to carry out the repair? if so, you end up with the repair value as cash, and a damaged caravan thats only worth it's scrap value?

Correct,!

So we have had New for Old cover on our caravan since we bought it 10 years ago but will now go for the standard Market Value payout and save £350 on the insurance premium.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Correct,!

So we have had New for Old cover on our caravan since we bought it 10 years ago but will now go for the standard Market Value payout and save £350 on the insurance premium.

So effectively, if parts aren't available to perform the damage repair, you wave goodbye to your caravan with just a few £££ in your pocket. I guess they are anticipating that a caravan thats 10+ years old may well struggle for parts, which I guess is a reasonable assumption.

I would estimate a ten year old caravan to be worth in the region of £9k to £10k, which is quite a chunk of money to lose, unless you take their payment and source second hand parts and a local repairer yourself.

Edited by LeadFarmer

The wording of all policies I have seen is similar and it is not just the CAMH one. Basically if the caravan would be repairable but for the lack of parts then they give you the estimated cost of repairs including the assessed value of the parts. I would argue for inflation to be added from the last published price list as the cost would inevitably have increased.

What I do not know is what happens if someone else is at fault and how a claim against them would be treated by the courts. Can you get the value of the caravan where the reason for the total loss is simply the none availability of he parts?

If you do have his problem do check https://caravanpanels.com/ as they may be able to help.

Hi 

Phoned the CC and they confirmed the clause in their policy which leaves me in a predicament with my Lunar Clubman and the availability of parts if I have to make a claim .I will looking at other insurance companies for cover. Tried the Camping and Caravan Club and they have the same wording as the CC in their policy documents.

Sandy

They all have the same wording as otherwise they would have to write off caravans with minor damage. I am afraid those of us with Lunars have a problem but we had an Avondale earlier and had the same problem.

As in my last post Lunar Panels are available from Caravan Panels so things may not be too bad.

Just about to insure my van.  It's a 2006 Lunar Stella Freedom 2 berth.   Any idea's where I may be able to find a reasonable valuation for cost, as I am assuming (yes I generally make an ass out of me -not you) costs of buying may have gone up due to effects of C19, but actual values for insurance purposes will not have?

Thanks...   J

One for sale at £4995 on Autotrader caravans. Another for £5695 on Gumtree.

• Thanks 1

Been looking at these after I put this note on here.   Pain in the ass having to go through all this having bought the van in early 2019 and still not been able to use it.  We KNOW ours has no damp and no sign of any outside damage being done.  Even though I guess that would be easy enough to disguise to some degree I suppose.  Oh well, que sera...   will use £5k.  Thanks again for your help Andy....   J

8 minutes ago, Janine00 said:

Been looking at these after I put this note on here.   Pain in the ass having to go through all this having bought the van in early 2019 and still not been able to use it.  We KNOW ours has no damp and no sign of any outside damage being done.  Even though I guess that would be easy enough to disguise to some degree I suppose.  Oh well, que sera...   will use £5k.  Thanks again for your help Andy....   J

I'd put it down as £6000 to make sure you have enough headway for a replacement if necessary.

is there not a glass's guide for caravans same as for cars ??

58 minutes ago, telegan said:

Must be as dealers pull out some sort of bible when coming up with p/x prices.

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

2 hours ago, telegan said:

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Must be as dealers pull out some sort of bible when coming up with p/x prices.

Correct - although our dealer looked it all up online. He said that the prices are updated every 3 months. We thought we might have a Part-Ex problem as we ordered a new van at the February show but it wasn't built due to lockdown and eventually the exchange was a only couple of weeks ago. However the original price from 6 months ago was honoured, even though we thought it might have been reduced,  then they added about £4000 to the Part-Ex price and sold it in less than a week !

Glasses guide is only available to the trade so you are unlikely to get access to it.