Ford Galaxy Powershift problem

12 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Whilst I accept that may be the best way of looking after the clutch/gearbox, it kind of goes against what people want from an automatic

Yep agree, I think that advice came about on the  powershift due to the issues it has with temperature control and clutch wear.

Not an issue with VAG DSG, and infact most DSG cars now have autohold so just pull up to a stop in D, release the brake and just apply the throttle when you want to move again.

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

35 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Yep agree, I think that advice came about on the  powershift due to the issues it has with temperature control and clutch wear.

Not an issue with VAG DSG, and infact most DSG cars now have autohold so just pull up to a stop in D, release the brake and just apply the throttle when you want to move again.

I think thats what people expect happens with all automatics, me included until this thread.

My wife has a VW Tiguan and its reassuring to know that this hasn't got quite the same issue, although the auto hold doesn't always activate. Lovely car though.

52 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

I think thats what people expect happens with all automatics, me included until this thread.

My wife has a VW Tiguan and its reassuring to know that this hasn't got quite the same issue, although the auto hold doesn't always activate. Lovely car though.

I found this. If you pump the brake pedal slightly a few times it seems to activate the auto hold. I seem to remember the angle of the car determines if it gets activated or not. 

19 minutes ago, halifaxdan said:

I found this. If you pump the brake pedal slightly a few times it seems to activate the auto hold. I seem to remember the angle of the car determines if it gets activated or not. 

Seems to be a standard issue then, but only very minor. I've noticed sometimes when stopped in traffic the handbrake hasn't come on and the car starts to creep forward while still in D.

The Tiguan is a company car and is getting handed back at the end of the month as she has taken a redundancy package. Hence why I'm starting to search for a replacement car for us and I'm favouring the Skoda Yeti the most.

25 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Seems to be a standard issue then, but only very minor. I've noticed sometimes when stopped in traffic the handbrake hasn't come on and the car starts to creep forward while still in D.

The Tiguan is a company car and is getting handed back at the end of the month as she has taken a redundancy package. Hence why I'm starting to search for a replacement car for us and I'm favouring the Skoda Yeti the most.

Autohold doesn't use the Electric Parking Brake (Handbrake) it uses foot brake hydraulic pressure.  When you come to a stop you need a a little firmer press on the brake peddle.

Just a side point only VAG cars with EPB have autohold, cars with manual handbrake do not. So the Yeti doesn't have autohold.

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

114000 miles on my 2014 Smax Powershift

Still works perfectly, but....

It's had gearbox oil changes every 30K miles (do it myself,  costs around £100 for the fluid and filter)

I never ever let it sit in D when sat at lights etc (as i would in my wifes car with a TC gearbox). Gets popped into Neutral to save it sat there cooking the clutch pack.

A friend of mine has a 2010 Galaxy with >100K miles in it now. 2nd gear in his car mis-selects occasionally, which is hardly surprising as it still has the same oil it left the factory with.

Lunar Solaris 524

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know whether the AWD version has a different power shift gear box. but I do remember on my previous power shift Galaxy (front wheel drive) you would get a "hot clutch" smell occasionally from it when towing and particularly when reversing. With my current AWD Galaxy I get none of that, and I tow a heavier Caravan now.

<p>Ford Galaxy Auto (powershift)AWD Towing An Elddis Avante 866 :)