Salt Crystals?

Runningpuffingbilly

I know that the period of over wintering our caravans is coming to an end (HOORAY!! :lol:) but I read a tip somewhere (on this forum I think) about using dishwasher salt crystals to help keep the interior of a caravan dry - i. e. to soakup any condensation. Can anyone shed any light on this - I've bought my crystals and would like to try the tip for a few weeks before I take the van out of storage.

Any advice appreciated.

Thansk

RPB

Guest john1215

Hi,

I've never tried dishwasher salt crystals but I see no reason for them not to work. Put the salt or whatever you have in a large bowl. Dont fill it to the top though as the crystals will expand as they absorb the moisture. You should find that it also helps prevent that "stale" smell you sometimes get when there has been little air circulation.

john1215

Guest john1215

I try to place mine as central as possible, if you're laid up for the winter place a small table in the middle somewhere and place the bowl there. You could put one in the shower cubicle and more in cupboards etc but mind you don't forget them when you drive off in the spring!

john1215

Guest john1215

You can purchase proprietry accessories to do the job the salt does where you place a receptacle in the sink for instance and then put a bag of some form of crystals in the receptacle and this attracts moisture. Salt is cheaper and seems to work well

john1215

I know that the period of over wintering our caravans is coming to an end (HOORAY!! :lol:) but I read a tip somewhere (on this forum I think) about using dishwasher salt crystals to help keep the interior of a caravan dry - i. e. to soakup any condensation. Can anyone shed any light on this - I've bought my crystals and would like to try the tip for a few weeks before I take the van out of storage.

Any advice appreciated.

Thansk

RPB

7925[/snapback]

Hi there

in our caravan we have used cat litter placed inside tights or stockings

cat litter has very high absorbancy so we normally place at front and

rear corners and around the kitchen area as well, we normally place

the items on a piece of kitchen roll to incase any colour dye was in the

stockings .

Any advice appreciated.

Thansk

RPB

7925[/snapback]

I think this may be the thread you were looking for.

http://caravanning-online. co. uk/forum/inde. ..p?showtopic=268

Frank

Guest john1215

The excess moisture will cause mildew to form on shower cubicle panels and could swell some of the wooden components which will lead to cracking when they dry out in the summer.

john1215

I have always left a washing up bowl about a third full of plain old Tesco cooking salt (the blue and white stripe stuff is fine) on the floor in the middle of my caravan over winter. ;)

I have been doing this for years and have never (touch wood) had any damp in either of the caravans I've owned. :)

My brother on the other hand always used to do this but last year he forgot and he ended up with mould. :o

Hello there

I just put three bowls of cooking salt in the van. .1 in shower cubicle

1 in sink and 1 on the floor near the front.

so far so good. I also remove cushions and keep in house.

Most of the products will be salt in one form or another . .

and are a lot more expensive.

TommyG

:):)

I use salt as well, we do not have room for the seat cushions at home, so I upend them on the seats so the air can circulate around them, our van is on storage just 5 minutes away from us, so we go up when the weather is reasonable and open the windows for an hour or so whilst we do any little jobs that need doing. The last time we went up to wash the van I was supprised that the van was in actual fact quite warm. ..... and no I had not left the fire on. ..... it was sunny and we are sheltered at the back from the elements by a large concrete bank ( to deter theives) we stayed longer than we intended. ..... it was almost like spring, incidently today was groundhog day, we are halfway through the winter. Just thought you would like to know that.

Maybe I am missing the point, but I fail to see the reasoning behind placing bowls of salt throughout your van. As all vans to the best of my knowledge have fresh air vents that you cannot shut, placing salt in the van means you are trying to dry the outside atmosphere. As the air dries in the caravan, the air is replacedalced with air that is full of moisture. Only a de-humudifier running 24/7 will keep your van totally dry, but that is a problem if the van is on a storage site.

This does not really effect us as we go caravanning through out the year come sun, rain or snow it does not matter so long as you are enjoying yourself. :)

We have always put salt in our caravan and we have never had a problem!

I think that the price of a bag of salt is very good value for the peace of mind it gives us. If we BELIEVE that its doing a good job then we are happy! :D

:rolleyes:

The ideal solution to keeping the van fresh. ..................................

Use it during the winter.

I have the pleasure of using mine down in London when I am working away. ....4 days out of 8.

As long as you are sensible, opening taps when leaving for days at home, or leaving the Truma on low while at work during the day. .....

I'm as snug as a bug, have been for the last 12 months!!!

Happy caravanning to all you fair weather campers!!!

:rolleyes:

The ideal solution to keeping the van fresh. ..................................

Use it during the winter.

I have the pleasure of using mine down in London when I am working away. ....4 days out of 8.

As long as you are sensible, opening taps when leaving for days at home, or leaving the Truma on low while at work during the day. .....

I'm as snug as a bug, have been for the last 12 months!!!

Happy caravanning to all you fair weather campers!!!

9716[/snapback]

have used salt for more than ten years now,works well,economical,does not leave any odour. Usualy place about four pots round the van,but check on it at regular intervals to make sure the moisture does not need removing.

Archived