How do I set sky q up in caravan, struggling to find a signal, we have  got a sky Q dish, can we use it without the internet? Any advice welcome 

• JanandJay changed the title to Setting Up Sky Q

Get a decent sat finder I use an app on my phone for general direction, then attach a meter to pinpoint it... I then have both boxes connected via an Ethernet cable, so multi room and yes they work without internet 

4 minutes ago, chris76 said:

Get a decent sat finder I use an app on my phone for general direction, then attach a meter to pinpoint it... I then have both boxes connected via an Ethernet cable, so multi room and yes they work without internet 

Hi chris76.

I was thinking of upgrading from HD to Q.

We have taken our HD away box away with us in our caravan for years now without any problem using a twin feed from the LNB on a tripod mounted dish.

If I were to upgrade to Q, will it work away in the caravan the same as HD does i.e. problem free?

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

11 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Cheers Rodders, forgot that one.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

10 hours ago, Griff said:

Hi chris76.

I was thinking of upgrading from HD to Q.

We have taken our HD away box away with us in our caravan for years now without any problem using a twin feed from the LNB on a tripod mounted dish.

If I were to upgrade to Q, will it work away in the caravan the same as HD does i.e. problem free?

Just follow that other thread mate

basically I leave an old sky q router and leave  all the cables in the caravan, then I simply disconnect my two sky boxes to take with us

i have  push fit connectors on the cables at home and on my tripod lnb, both boxes sit under my bench and I use the Bluetooth remotes to control them

You can get the hybrid lnb from e bay connect the sat finder to the non q connections 

takes me  about 10 mins to set every up, I also have 10m hdmi leads hidden to the tv positions 

when I set up sky q in the caravan.. do I still use the signal finder like I did for sky hd ( one connection on each side for cables ) ,, even though the sky Q has twin cables.....

index.jpg

1 hour ago, robyyy1 said:

when I set up sky q in the caravan.. do I still use the signal finder like I did for sky hd ( one connection on each side for cables ) ,, even though the sky Q has twin cables.....

index.jpg

There’s people on here that will know more than me, but my understanding is that you need a hybrid lnb,to find the signal and the sat finder goes on the non q connections so yeah, pretty much  the same

Hi thanks ... yes have got the inb for sky q .. but as it needs 2 cables to go to it .. which cable do you use for setting up with the sat finder ?? Or does it matter ?

13 hours ago, robyyy1 said:

Hi thanks ... yes have got the inb for sky q .. but as it needs 2 cables to go to it .. which cable do you use for setting up with the sat finder ?? Or does it matter ?

If you only have two connections on your LNB then it will only support Sky Q (wideband).  I think that the simple signal strength meters will only work on Sky+.

You need a hybrid LNB which has four or six connections, two for Sky Q and two or four for SKY+. With the hybrid, you can use the Sky+ connection with the meter to align the dish and then connect the Sky Q receiver to the Sky Q connection.

I am away at the moment and all set up for Sky q. New LNB and twin wiring. 

I am getting the message that sky will be with me in a couple of minutes but after about a minute screen goes blank. 

I rung the LNB supplier who told me that I needed to adjust the setting on the Sky box to a lower resolution as my home tv is 4k.He says that would solve the problem but I can't change it now I am away. 

Any other views from those that have succeeded. 

Thanks

Andrew

You will have two 'Sky' outlets as you need one for viewing and one for recording (or both for recording) as the box has twin tuners. Both tuners will 'see' the same signal so you can use either for alignment.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

On 15/09/2020 at 10:22, ascsbe said:

I am away at the moment and all set up for Sky q. New LNB and twin wiring. 

I am getting the message that sky will be with me in a couple of minutes but after about a minute screen goes blank. 

I rung the LNB supplier who told me that I needed to adjust the setting on the Sky box to a lower resolution as my home tv is 4k.He says that would solve the problem but I can't change it now I am away. 

Any other views from those that have succeeded. 

Thanks

Andrew

Switch on the box and press home 1080 home and it automatically changes back to 1080i👍

On 13/09/2020 at 19:05, chris76 said:

There’s people on here that will know more than me, but my understanding is that you need a hybrid lnb,to find the signal and the sat finder goes on the non q connections so yeah, pretty much  the same

All up and running now. Will be easy next time. Anybody who needs simple guidance email me. 

Thanks everyone who helped 

Andrew 

Can i suggest you start a new thread with the instructions and I will then pin it so it stays at the top of this section and will be easier to find. Give it a good logical title and Bob's your uncle:)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Got them. 

I love Sky Q, so much better than Sky+ , though I've never taken my Sky box away in the caravan with me. I keep thinking I ought to even just to playback recordings.

10 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

I love Sky Q, so much better than Sky+ , though I've never taken my Sky box away in the caravan with me. I keep thinking I ought to even just to playback recordings.

You will not be able to watch your recordings unless your box is receiving a valid Sky satellite signal. You should however be able to watch recordings on a Freesat box without a satellite link.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

18 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

You will not be able to watch your recordings unless your box is receiving a valid Sky satellite signal. You should however be able to watch recordings on a Freesat box without a satellite link.

Thanks, whilst it would make sense to do that, and I do own a satellite kit, I know I can't be bothered to set it all up :)