Is this THE most pointless thing to ever do ??

Mr Plodd

Currently pitched up at Hillhead in Devon. Went to collect some water and the chap in front of me filled his aquaroll, then got a small tube of grease out of his pocket and applied a dab to the ends of the handle that fit into the cups on either end “Don’t want to wear the plastic away”   was his comment whilst doing so. 

Incredible or what?  

Anyone beat it ? 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Something's people do truly amaze me. I wonder how many miles you'd have to roll to wear them out? Now there's a question.

It's not like you can't  buy replacements it is.

Now finding that bit of information out could keep your children occupied for days! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

7 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Anyone beat it ? 

Towing a car behind a motor home has always seemed right up there with the best of them for me. 

29 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Currently pitched up at Hillhead in Devon. Went to collect some water and the chap in front of me filled his aquaroll, then got a small tube of grease out of his pocket and applied a dab to the ends of the handle that fit into the cups on either end “Don’t want to wear the plastic away”   was his comment whilst doing so. 

Incredible or what?  

Anyone beat it ? 

Don't tell him that grease + dust from the area that a water carrier lives makes good grinding paste. 🤫😉

Seeing a woman in Lidl enter the store foyer with nitrile protection gloves on and use the hand sanitiser on the gloves, very conscientious I thought in trying not to be infected by Covid............... then I noticed she didn't wear a mask.😄

Edited by Silversurf

I’m convinced some folks take up caravans just to find (seemingly) pointless gadgets & tasks, but if it makes them happy fair enough. It’s sometimes more entertaining than watching TV. One of our Aquarolls is 25 years old now and so far the only problem has been that it seems to get heavier as I get older!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

3 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

One of our Aquarolls is 25 years old now

One of ours is over 20 years. Only issue ever had, the spring pins that hold the handle together failed. Got replacement parts from manufacturer. 

1 minute ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

One of ours is over 20 years. Only issue ever had, the spring pins that hold the handle together failed. Got replacement parts from manufacturer. 

One of mine did that but as they are rusted together it’s no problem. The other is one piece.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Ours were both bought in 2001 and are still going strong. One did need a replacement cap a couple of years ago though. Wonder if the plastic bearings are replaceable /available as spare parts. When it stops raining I must go and have a look! 

We do sometimes sit and wonder at the effort some people go to when packing up. Cleaning water carriers to the n th degree and using bags to keep them clean and fiddling for ever to get things exactly right. Ours get a quick rinse and dry if they need it but they are going under he bed and not dirtying anything anyway and everything else just goes in and off we go.

The idea of greasing the Aquaroll is beyond doubt though the most useless one I have come across. The things seem to last for ever without any real attention other than a quick wash and the odd internal clean. It should outlast him without the grease.

The bags aren’t for keeping them clean, Wildwood - they’re for keeping stuff stored around them clean - or in our case, keeping the shower clean as that’s the only place they can travel.

John

26 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Now you’ve mentioned it one of ours is bolted together for that reason. We also use carry bags for them, as mentioned, to keep everything else clean!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

The other one that gets me are the people who, in mid holiday, when they take the loo cassette to the emptying point rinse it multiple times, add chemicals and a couple of litres of water only to put it in the caravan and start using it again!

OK at the end of a stay it is nice to store it clean, but in mid stay when the first thing to happen is that it is going to be used again, why bother to give it more than a cursory rinse to make sure that it is empty? And why add water to rob yourself of capacity?

5 minutes ago, Stevan said:

And why add water to rob yourself of capacity?

I think the instructions say add two liters of water, or we once had one that said enough water to cover the base. I soon gave up on that, all that water is several uses wasted and it soon gets sufficient "liquid"in it to cover the base. 

33 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

The bags aren’t for keeping them clean, Wildwood - they’re for keeping stuff stored around them clean - or in our case, keeping the shower clean as that’s the only place they can travel.

John

+1

9 minutes ago, kelper said:

If you drop a jobby in an empty cassette it's going to smell!

If you drop a jobby it's going to smell anyway, and it takes more than a couple of litres to cover it!

My aqua roll is 20 years old, my wastemaster 16 ,motor mover 5 , they want a joint birthday party, what do you think or just a bit of grease 

Just had a look. Anybody know if the black bearings are replaceable? Looks like they might unscrew but not sure. Found a little bit of play in one. Probably warrant an advisory on an Mot. 

1 hour ago, kelper said:

If you drop a jobby in an empty cassette it's going to smell!

I agree, I am guilty as charged at putting a couple of litres of water in the cleaned cassette with the appropriate (Thetford) blue. My reasoning is that it breaks down the contents better and being more ‘liquid’, makes emptying more successful.

We are all different - good job too, how boring campsite life would be if we were all the same.

2 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Ours were both bought in 2001 and are still going strong. One did need a replacement cap a couple of years ago though. Wonder if the plastic bearings are replaceable /available as spare parts. When it stops raining I must go and have a look! 

Had the same Aquaroll since the 40lt first came out - used on many hundreds of rallies, and numerous holidays - never lubricated - still working perfectly.

2 hours ago, PMW said:

Towing a car behind a motor home has always seemed right up there with the best of them for me. 

image.png

Some trailed cars can make sense . . .

image.png

. . .  while others do not ;)

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

Just had a look. Anybody know if the black bearings are replaceable? Looks like they might unscrew but not sure. Found a little bit of play in one. Probably warrant an advisory on an Mot. 

They’re definitely replaceable Dobloseven - see this from F.L. Hitchman’s web-site …

4A1537AB-D444-4663-B45D-EAB5D671D80F.thumb.jpeg.b64ae16d90f5ca702100fc8dd74fdbee.jpeg

It says to tap them into place.

John

11 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

It says to tap them into place.

John

As long as you don't faucet.

Sorry. I'll leave now.

Edited by AlwynMike
Apology.

14 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

As long as you don't faucet.

You omitted to follow up with 'Phoebe' ..

but you are probably too young to have heard it ....

I don't understand why two people, not in the first flush of youth, with an 8 foot wide twin axle monster van, pitch up, then proceed to erect their mahoosive full size awning, so they can sit in it and watch the world, whatever the weather, for two days, then have to take it down and pack it all away again. I mean, what a faff for such a short time! How much space do two people need? If the weather is nice, why not just sit outside? Or if not, just sit in the van? I suppose it's horses for courses, it takes all sorts, and what suits one doesn't suit another!