Sign in to follow this  
rovinmad

Has Elddis quality improved?

Hymer have owned Elddis for a while now.  Have we enough contributors on here to be able to tell if the overall quality of the caravans has improved?  I have long admired Hymer caravans and if Elddis products could approach the same levels of reliability I might well be tempted.  

Elddis Crusader bought March 2019, more journeys back to dealer than for intended use , collecting tomorrow after 3 week repair to rebuild front after water ingress from window hinge rail ,believed to be a very common fault. Perceived knowledge people are quicker to complain than praise products but the amount of negative reviews of Elddis on various forums I would investigate further before purchasing.

Oct 2019Bucanneer here absolutely perfect. Not a mark scratch or screw out of place and I like my screws lined up!!!!  Only fault so far that i can find is a window seal that has moved a bit in the heat and keeps moving back . I would say this is the best built caravan we have ever had so far knocking spots off our Bailey Pegasus.(2016) We've been out quite a lot too. 

They just about managed to get  themselves off the bottom at the last practical Caravan survey but it may be this was older models still causing them problems. The next survey will come out early next year ans with more newer ones in should show if things have improved.

I have not seen anything to suggest things have changed either way but when we looked at them at the Glasgow show earlier his year they did seem to have improved, but those were show models so they should be better. I spoke to a dealer who said they had, but they would.

So that's  1 yes and 1 no so far.  Elddis make a nice looking van but some of the problems reported have been quite  extraordinary.

Feb 19 affinity 550 all be it a dealer special. A couple of minor issues that I expected, superb dealer service. So a yes from is

• Like 1

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Our 2017 Affinity 550 caused us no issues at all. When handing over last November for the new Celebrate the dealer checked the top corners of the rear panel and again all well and not a crack in sight

• Like 1

2019 Compass Capiro 550, very happy and no problems one year on. 

Just remembered, the pump failed but that’s not a van issue, waiting on whale to send the promised replacement 

Edited by Dave Capiro owner
  • Like 1

We started caravanning in 2012 with a 2009 Elddis Supercyclone. A nice caravan but was not without its problems culmination in a new side panel fitted back at the factory by Elddis, under warranty.

By the time we sold it in 2015 it was fault free!

Like the Elddis look and feel so purchased a 2014 Buccaneer Schooner in 2015. Only real problem was a Heki skylight which leaked around its seal to the roof panel. On removal of the said rooflight it was apparent these was no timber strengthening around the skylight and this probably accentuated the leaking problem. It also had a (sketchy) Avtex whip aerial (which I replaced with a Status). That was about the only issue with that caravan.

We liked the 1st and 2nd Elddis caravans so had no doubts in 2019 when we purchased our 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser. They have upgraded the aerial now to a directional one. The frame cracked around the Heki on this one which required removal of the cracked frame and replacement and during this process I could see they now had a factory fitted internal timber surround plus the original cracked because the adhesive holding it in was too strong and allowed no flexibility so Elddis were again trying to cure the problem (with the 2014) van but created another - but they were trying.

As you can see I dont buy new but 1-2 year old private caravans so I can see the previous owner, where they and how they live (and will have cared for the caravan) plus i can see THE caravan I am about to purchase where as when you order a new one you get the one that arrives.

I am an avid caravan gadget fettler and that requires looking in/under/over the caravan and in an effort to, for example hide wiring I have got up close and personal with a lot of the cubby holes around that caravan where most people will never look and imho our particular caravan is very well built and finished - more so than many other makes we have looked at over the years. There have been a few teething issues (such as a leaking front window hinge bar) which is another known issue and could have been easily and cheaply sorted at point of build but hey ho,I found the leak and sorted it myself.

My father is on his second Elddis caravan (Compass) in 10 years and my brother bought a 2014 Elddis last year. If we didnt like em we wouldnt keep buying em so yes I think things have improved and there seems to be good and bad with all makes- it is a lottery to some extent.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

2019 Avante 574 bought new last September, very happy so far, only warranty work done was on the squealy Alko brakes, which is dealt with now and isn't Elddis any way. Oh, and a slightly loose hook which dealer sorted quickly enough. 

Been away in all weather, sun, rain, freezing and always warm and dry. We love the lay out which lets us shut off daughter's bedroom from living area with two solid doors for privacy either end. Also being able to lock only the washroom with toilet and sink so that someone is using the toilet, others can walk through from bedroom to living area and vice versa. Also someone can use the shower while someone else uses the toilet if need be. For that we had to put frosted film on the shower door, but that was simple enough. So it's easy to partially or completely block off the bathroom depending on need. No need to lock up to three doors to the whole bathroom before you can use the loo like in some vans, nor any need to walk through someone's bedroom to do so since the bathroom is central. 

Kitchen is great with big deep sink for washing up and the standard Thetford mk 3 cooker with the hotplate option on the hob which I like. Good sized pan locker beneath. Plenty of space in cupboards and drawers for our needs, ditto fridge which has a bigger freezer compartment than in some statics we've stayed in.

Our front sofa bed is a bit cosy but that's just because this was the biggest 4 berth van with midships bathroom we could fit on our drive, so obviously not a fault. 

The radio with USB (which we have adapted for Bluetooth very easily and inexpensively) has superb sound, as the entire corner cabinets are given over to the speakers rather than having them fixed in the roof or ceiling.

So yes, all good so far, our van goes in for its first service in a couple of weeks, we shall see what if anything that throws up.

• Like 1

Lots of Elddis motor homes and caravans on the CMC sites last week, probably over 30% so must be selling well.

Not sure if any of the other makes are any better though

But would I buy one, no.

I went with my mate last week to pick up his new Affinity 554. He had been browsing the forum for some time and told me that he was in no doubt that his new van would be poorly made and would I come along and pick up any faults for him? Well it turned out that the van was perfectly presented, every door was a perfect fit, all the wiring and plumbing was tidy inside and out, the bodyshell unmarked. I absolutely couldn’t fault it. I note that Elddis are using Rhinoboard for the floors Which I know to be bombproof rather than the more common marine ply.  Much better than previous elddis models I’ve studied. Obviously the proof comes when he starts using it but it’s certainly an impressive start.

Glad it isn't just us. We are delighted and it is coming up for it's First year service in 3weeks time. Nigh on fault free.

I bought a new Elddis Crusader last year. Can't say that I overly impressed with the build quality. Went back after a year for a few minor repairs that had build up. Biggest issue was that the waste pipe fell off flooding the caravan. There are a couple of issues where the sofa seats slide forward stopping the middle drawer from opening. The front storage door struts are too strong making it difficult to close. Putting these issues aside it is really easy to tow much better than an older van I had. Visually it is a stunning caravan with a well laid out interior.

To be fair every van we 've had has seat creep, the Bailey Verona  was a mare.