Lunar staff furloughed until end of October

Lunar Automotive are not having any staff back until the end of October which is when the furlough scheme ends. Many of the few remaining staff have left due to the new owners not paying out furlough pay as they should, with staff now almost 2 months in wage arrears. With only demo vans that are now almost 2 years old, no production for over a year and literally a handful of production staff remaining, all design team gone, no managers. How are Lunar Automotive going to pull it off and get back into production?

• I agree completely 2
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lunar Automotive are not having any staff back until the end of October which is when the furlough scheme ends. Many of the few remaining staff have left due to the new owners not paying out furlough

So seeing as spending time reading company accounts is another hobby of mine, this thread piqued my interest.   I predict that there will never be another Lunar caravan produced (at least by

These vans for sale on eBay are 2020 proto types that were built in early to mid 2019 to be shown at Birmingham NEC in October. They are one offs as no production of them ever commenced.  You'd

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Apparently listed for 24th June 2020...

Winding Up Hearings 

Non HMRC Cases 12:10 pm

CR-2020-002201 LUNAR AUTOMOTIVE LIMITED

Nothing in the London Gazette though - might be one worth watching.

I know they haven't been paying rent on their new premises so maybe the landlord has taken the winding up petition against them. 

41 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I know they haven't been paying rent on their new premises so maybe the landlord has taken the winding up petition against them. 

Possibly so, at one stage early on in the proceedings I seem to remember that the landlord locked them out of one of the buildings which contained machinery and equipment, until some payment was made, they then moved out of the building.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

Lunar Automotive are not having any staff back until the end of October which is when the furlough scheme ends. Many of the few remaining staff have left due to the new owners not paying out furlough pay as they should, with staff now almost 2 months in wage arrears. With only demo vans that are now almost 2 years old, no production for over a year and literally a handful of production staff remaining, all design team gone, no managers. How are Lunar Automotive going to pull it off and get back into production?

The old company is dead and gone. The new company cannot "get back into production" because they have never produced caravans!

All they have is the right to use the name, some production equipment, some old designs, a little old stock and the experience of a few staff. Not a bad setup for a new startup company, but a long way from the old Lunar.

Looks ominous but the dispute with the landlord was settled. This was because the old factory was in poor condition and owned by a former director who allegedly would not remedy this. The company did manage to move to new premises but possibly the lock down which came then finished them off. Alternatively this might be a way of clearing the new companies debts and restarting under yet another new name,we can only wait and see.

38 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

Looks ominous but the dispute with the landlord was settled. This was because the old factory was in poor condition and owned by a former director who allegedly would not remedy this. The company did manage to move to new premises but possibly the lock down which came then finished them off. Alternatively this might be a way of clearing the new companies debts and restarting under yet another new name,we can only wait and see.

They have missed rent payments on the new premises also from my understanding. Considering the size of the new premises it is set up for mass production and I imagine they are paying a fair bit of rent for it. Don't see how they could survive with small scale production in such big premises. It doesn't add up.

This.................................https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/12133933

Makes interesting reading, especially the filing history where the registered office has been changed twice this year the last time on the 2nd of Sept.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

This.................................https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/12133933

Makes interesting reading, especially the filing history where the registered office has been changed twice this year the last time on the 2nd of Sept

That is interesting, channel way is the new factory which they moved into around March and now they have moved their office from there too a London address. Maybe they are winding the factory up or being kicked out for not paying rent. Doesn't read well at all.

Edited by Kepler
Spelling
8 hours ago, handyandy said:

Glossop caravans seem to have all the demo vans for sale. 

Personally I wouldn't buy one unless they were rock bottom price, these are as you say demos and haven't been road tested in any way and you are going to struggle if you need replacements for anything such as internal furnishings , doors and panels etc as mass production has never commenced and there may not be a functioning factory to produce said items.

6 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Makes interesting reading, especially the filing history where the registered office has been changed twice this year the last time on the 2nd of Sept.

The only person listed for Lunar Automotive is MARKS, Nicholas, who also happens to be the only person listed for MEWA INDUSTRIAL HOLDINGS LIMITED who's business is also 29203 - Manufacture of caravans and who's registered address is also Unit 7 Jubilee Avenue, London, United Kingdom, E4 9JD.

This is Unit 7 Jubilee Avenue

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6091446,-0.0031264,3a,21.9y,90.1h,94.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEItaYs7nSZ2WfMqrpfFttA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

CLARITY & CO PRODUCTS (UK) LIMITED is another company with Nicholas Marks as the only officer.

Edited by Richard080561
27 minutes ago, Happycamper2019 said:

Is all of this speculation and scaremongering does us Lunar owners? 

Last thing I saw on a Lunar page manufacturing staff were back in

Winding up orders aren't speculation and scaremongering, The Lunar Automotive website is basically the old Lunar website with a name change and a bit of a re-hash, no real news on there for the best part of 16 months .

You would think that the website would be the first place where where all up and coming information, news letters, etc would appear first but nothing, I wonder why ?

Anyone seeking info as to what's happening at Lunar, if anything at all is happening, has to scour the internet for snippets of info such as on here.

Have you tried to email Lunar ?

If not try them and come back to let us know what they say.

22 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Apparently listed for 24th June 2020...

Winding Up Hearings 

Non HMRC Cases 12:10 pm

CR-2020-002201 LUNAR AUTOMOTIVE LIMITED

Nothing in the London Gazette though - might be one worth watching.

Noticed a registered charge in the filing history created on the 23rd of June 2020, I wonder if its a pre-cursor  to Barclays winding it up or putting into administration, interesting times.

Edited by Silversurf

2 hours ago, Happycamper2019 said:

I can tell you with absolute certainty there is no production going on at their Strand Road factory, there are no office staff there either. If you watch the video on Lunars Facebook page of the big move, the people you see in it are the entirety of their workforce and a good few of them have left now because they aren't getting paid regularly and never know when the next pay check is coming. The factory is massive but the workforce is a handful of people. Staff who were made redundant over a year a go all have new jobs now and because of what they have heard of the new owner and his attitude to paying staff and the fact that he is only willing to pay just above minimum it is highly unlikely any will return. Considering the many different processes in making a caravan and the different skill sets required I cannot see how he will get a capable workforce and get vans out the door. 

2 hours ago, Happycamper2019 said:

The success or the failure of Lunar Automotive Ltd  (LAL) will make absolutely no difference to the vast majority (if not all) of Lunar Caravans Ltd (LCL) caravan/motorhome owners.  

The new company’s warranty offer to existing owners appears to be so severely restricted in its terms and conditions that it is little more than a lip service gesture - not many, if any will ever benefit from it.  (It is fair to say that  LAL are under no legal obligation to offer any support or loyalty to LCL owners).

I wonder how many of the few appointed Lunar Automotive Ltd dealers* would be willing to undertake any warranty work on LCL vehicles they didn’t sell?  

Reasonable discussion, informed or speculative based on available information, about LAL on Caravan Talk is to be expected but it is neither scaremongering  nor harmful to LCL owners.  

*LAL dealers in name only as LAL have not produced any vehicles for them to buy and sell.

1 minute ago, ReggiePerrin said:

I wonder how many of the few appointed Lunar Automotive Ltd dealers* would be willing to undertake any warranty work on LCL vehicles they didn’t sell?  

Fortunately the 2015 Consumer Rights Act and Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act will offer some protection if the supplying dealer is still trading, as the contract for the goods is with them and not Lunar (LCL or LAL).

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Just now, Grandpa Steve said:

Fortunately the 2015 Consumer Rights Act and Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act will offer some protection if the supplying dealer is still trading, as the contract for the goods is with them and not Lunar (LCL or LAL).

Agreed... 

The point I was perhaps making badly is that discussion of LAL on CT is neither scare-mongering nor harmful to existing LCL caravan owners.

So seeing as spending time reading company accounts is another hobby of mine, this thread piqued my interest.

I predict that there will never be another Lunar caravan produced (at least by Lunar Automotive Ltd)

- Nicholas Marks proclaimed it was going to be part of the South African MEWA 'group'. Here is the MEWA website - https://mewa.co.za. It's clearly a small family business - the website doesn't list an office and it mostly appears to be construction of domestic furniture projects. 

- Nicholas Marks also took over clarityproducts.org - it obviously makes no real sense why someone would own both a beauty product company and a caravan company

- Prior to Clarity and Lunar, it doesn't appear Mr Marks had any companies registered with Companies Houses so he's never had a company which has filed any accounts - therefore he would not appear to have any business, assets or cash with which to secure credit to purchase anything.

- He doesn't exist on LinkedIn (at least not prominently)

- The laughable video that he had made of their new building having the floor re-done and being painted.. my guess is he persuaded the landlord to pay for that via 'free rent' or something and has never paid rent. There is absolutely no activity shown on the video of any manufacturing equipment or production line being setup there.

- Looked up the sales manager on LinkedIn and he left Lunar in June and started a new job

- I called their phone number today and it's disconnected (probably coinciding with the change of registered address as he's lost access to the building)

Before it went into administration, Lunars revenuve was £50m. Bailey last year was £100m. I don't believe for one moment that Mr Marks has the millions it would require to effectively startup a new caravan construction business and compete with the remaining firms.

I'm no way an expert in business and taking one over in administration, but I assume he's a complete chancer and never injected any significant money into the business. What his plan was I don't know but clearly no caravans will ever be made.

Edited by BucksDad
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, BucksDad said:

So seeing as spending time reading company accounts is another hobby of mine, this thread piqued my interest.

I predict that there will never be another Lunar caravan produced (at least by Lunar Automotive Ltd)

- Nicholas Marks proclaimed it was going to be part of the South African MEWA 'group'. Here is the MEWA website - https://mewa.co.za. It's clearly a small family business - the website doesn't list an office and it mostly appears to be construction of domestic furniture projects. 

- Nicholas Marks also took over clarityproducts.org - it obviously makes no real sense why someone would own both a beauty product company and a caravan company

- Prior to Clarity and Lunar, it doesn't appear Mr Marks had any companies registered with Companies Houses so he's never had a company which has filed any accounts - therefore he would not appear to have any business, assets or cash with which to secure credit to purchase anything.

- He doesn't exist on LinkedIn (at least not prominently)

- The laughable video that he had made of their new building having the floor re-done and being painted.. my guess is he persuaded the landlord to pay for that via 'free rent' or something and has never paid rent. There is absolutely no activity shown on the video of any manufacturing equipment or production line being setup there.

- Looked up the sales manager on LinkedIn and he left Lunar in June and started a new job

- I called their phone number today and it's disconnected (probably coinciding with the change of registered address as he's lost access to the building)

Before it went into administration, Lunars revenuve was £50m. Bailey last year was £100m. I don't believe for one moment that Mr Marks has the millions it would require to effectively startup a new caravan construction business and compete with the remaining firms.

I'm no way an expert in business and taking one over in administration, but I assume he's a complete chancer and never injected any significant money into the business. What his plan was I don't know but clearly no caravans will ever be mad

Edited by Kepler

For those who have Facebook might want to join this group to get the latest update about Lunar. 
Guy who runs the page is an ex lunar employee, who still has friends that are working there. 
Skelton staff are working to get interiors reading for about 10 of each model. 

No office staff as still on furlough. Group is called Lunar Caravan Owners Technical Support Group

Could save a lot of speculation.

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

21 hours ago, JanandJay said:

For those who have Facebook might want to join this group to get the latest update about Lunar. 
Guy who runs the page is an ex lunar employee, who still has friends that are working there. 
Skelton staff are working to get interiors reading for about 10 of each model. 

No office staff as still on furlough. Group is called Lunar Caravan Owners Technical Support Group

Could save a lot of speculation.

There are no staff working there at all at the minute. The factory is shut, I pass it every day.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This is in the Times newspaper now. Nicholas Marks the owner of Lunar Automotive has been reported to HMRC by the local councillor for not paying Furlough and not making any pension contributions to the Lunar staff since he took over last year. 

• Thanks 1