Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Called into my local Kia dealer last night, as my current 3 year PCP

is coming to an end.

Apparently there are now no models available like mine, I was hoping for a cheeky deal, with the new model coming out.

The new models lower specs are petrol/ hybrid, which I’m not interested in.

I want another diesel, so the first model you can get with that, is equivalent to the 3 and only in auto.The young lad was almost 

apologetic when he told me the price. £41000!

Think I’ll stick with what I’ve got!  

 

 

 

Cheers Grumpy

Kia Sorento KX2; Coachman Pastiche

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was waiting for someone to start a thread on the new Sorento. I don't yet have a caravan but am thinking of getting one and had looked at the Sorento.


The new model pricing is insane for a Kia. You've got to pay the luxury car tax and that pricing will just push people towards the German brands if you're looking to spend that level of money.


Obviously the cabin interior has been massively reworked but unfortunately it looks like an older model for me. 

 

I guess with so many cars now bought on PCP etc, the manufacturers are more focused on what they think they can achieve as a monthly payment rather than the overall price, knowing most might well take out another deal for the next model etc

It will be interesting to see how it does in this economic climate and whether the dealers are happy with the pricing.

 

One thing that it now also means for people looking at one as a tow car - I expect the only demonstrators will be the mild hybrid so there won't be too many diesels popping up in a  years time. Company car users would be taking the hybrid as well, leaving the diesel in short supply I reckon.

 

Unfortunately for people like me looking to buy one, it will probably mean the previous models depreciate less!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst the headline price for the top end models is eye-watering, if you use the likes of carwow to get a price it will be much lower. Plus, if you have it on a PCP then pay it off after 100 days, you keep the extra 2.5K offered for the plan too.

My 19 plate Sorento was 45K list but I got it for 37.5K.

Unlike caravans, you can buy a car from any dealer and just use your local dealer for services.

Our local dealer is superb except they don't do discounts. I have bought my last three Sorentos elsewhere but use the local for everything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The extra road tax puts me off spending over 40K for any car, but I would consider one second hand as the saved cash offsets the 5 years of luxury tax.

I think the threshold should be increased to 45K myself.

 

 

  • I agree completely 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a nice looking machine regardless of the list price. Almost looks American. And I'm usually a hater of SUVs! 

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a German car kinda guy.

 

But I have to say the new Sorento looks lovely.

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hort2074 said:

I'm a German car kinda guy.

 

But I have to say the new Sorento looks lovely.

Apparently Kia recruited a German designer for the body to make it more appealing to Western eyes!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kia and Hyundai have come a long way, lifting the brand image and supplying what their market wants.

I cant help comparing the very different story of JLR each of which started with an iconic brand name and have not succeeded. 

  • Like 1

Ern

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, staffordshirechina said:

Apparently Kia recruited a German designer for the body to make it more appealing to Western eyes!

 

Hardly surprising as the Hyundai European design centre has been in Russelheim Germany for some years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our friends have the latest new Hyundai Sante Fe 2.2 they love it 28mpg towing their twin axle Sterling and on a run they have seen as much as 52 mpg and it such a clean engine, we are one of those sad people with a Outlander PHEV, but even we are impressed, I struggle to see the benefit of the 1.6 PHEV except for local journeys.

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Oscarmax said:

Our friends have the latest new Hyundai Sante Fe 2.2 they love it 28mpg towing their twin axle Sterling and on a run they have seen as much as 52 mpg and it such a clean engine, we are one of those sad people with a Outlander PHEV, but even we are impressed, I struggle to see the benefit of the 1.6 PHEV except for local journeys.

Are you annoyed that you've got a new Outlander PHEV and Mitsubishi are withdrawing from the UK Market or ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BucksDad said:

Are you annoyed that you've got a new Outlander PHEV and Mitsubishi are withdrawing from the UK Market or ?

Not really its just a car life's to short to worry about things I have no control over, when the time comes I will eventually buy something else.

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

Link to post
Share on other sites

Over £40,000 looks too high as the starting price for that model. Possibly hanging on for a bit if the final payment warrants it is the way to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I may take another look at the Navara, it was a toss up between, the 2 last time out.

The reason the Navara lost out was, insurance, not being self employed, the cheapest I could find was £600, twice what I pay on the Sorento.

It has the advantage of a full size spare and more space for the dogs.

Cheers Grumpy

Kia Sorento KX2; Coachman Pastiche

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BucksDad said:


The new model pricing is insane for a Kia. You've got to pay the luxury car tax and that pricing will just push people towards the German brands if you're looking to spend that level. 

Having owned a Sorento and having experience of working on most makes and model of cars if you were to line up similar sized cars to the Kia from JLR, Audi, BMW, Merc and VAG I’d take the Kia every time. (Although Mrs TD would gently need to be steered away from the Merc.)

If Kia had a pickup in their range I’d probably sell a kidney to buy one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

Having owned a Sorento and having experience of working on most makes and model of cars if you were to line up similar sized cars to the Kia from JLR, Audi, BMW, Merc and VAG I’d take the Kia every time. (Although Mrs TD would gently need to be steered away from the Merc.)

If Kia had a pickup in their range I’d probably sell a kidney to buy one. 

 

So what has the kia got that others don't?

Its certainly not good to drive IMO, drives like a bus.

Mazda and the koreans are both trying to move upmarket which I think is a mistake, both previously where good value for money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

 

 

Mazda and the koreans are both trying to move upmarket which I think is a mistake, both previously where good value for money.

History shows that providing "good value for money" simply does not yield profit for car makers. Nowhere to be seen in the European car market are basic, no frills cars.

Even the humble FIAT Panda comes with power steering A/C and electric windows on the common models.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had 5 different Sorento's, but this new model's just to expensive. The £475 road tax doesn't help either.

Think I will keep my present model till it falls to pieces

Edited by Steve W77

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GrummpyOldGit said:

I may take another look at the Navara, it was a toss up between, the 2 last time out.

The reason the Navara lost out was, insurance, not being self employed, the cheapest I could find was £600, twice what I pay on the Sorento.

It has the advantage of a full size spare and more space for the dogs.

We pay 250 on our Nav-social etc and travel to one place of work-try a confused com!  fully comp for me and my wife btw.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

We pay 250 on our Nav-social etc and travel to one place of work-try a confused com!  fully comp for me and my wife btw.

 

No two people will get the same premium as there are too many unknown variables.

 

My wife and I are the same age with claim free, penalty free records but if we apply with me as main driver and wife as named driver and then vice versa  for the same car there is a large difference in premiums quoted on all the comparison sites.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it just ticks all my boxes for style, comfort, towing ability, economy and reliability. The running costs in 4 years were  negligible. 1 set of tyres and 1 set of front and rear brake pads. Warranty work was a new radio aerial.  Having seen the eye watering service and repair bills for the others over the years, the fragility of the BMW transmissions if not mollycoddled, JLR electrics and plasticine engines etc. Having experienced a new VW Tiguan brings mediocrity to a new level. Couldn’t get shot of it fast enough. 
It’s all subjective and personal opinion but the Kia experience over the time we had it was brilliant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stevan said:

History shows that providing "good value for money" simply does not yield profit for car makers. Nowhere to be seen in the European car market are basic, no frills cars.

Even the humble FIAT Panda comes with power steering A/C and electric windows on the common models.

 

the Koreans were never basic but they were also cheap which is why they sold.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been reading this thread with interest.  It is personal choice which car you wish to drive but to presume Kia/Hyundia are low rent cars is a misconception.  Twenty plus years ago I saw a presentation where they stated they would be aiming to be in the top 3 manufacturers world wide.

Many laughed at that but they have probably got there.  They recruited the top designers from across the board, such as Peter Schreyer, From Audi and many others.  They invested in new factories that are state of the art. Then gave the designers free range.

 

They standardized components way beyond many others.  Things like switches are common across the range and their philosophy was that even their cheapest car should be as reliable as the most expensive,  Quality of the engineering is paramount, not bling or novelty.  Reliability is built in and they are 

consistently up in the top few, not individual models but across the range.  That 7 year warranty in the U.K. is not a novelty they stand by it.  In many countries its 10 years.

 

Try the following link.

https://www.kiapressoffice.com/awards

 

  • I agree completely 2

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

We pay 250 on our Nav-social etc and travel to one place of work-try a confused com!  fully comp for me and my wife btw.

Navaras don’t come up when I use Confused.Com

Cheers Grumpy

Kia Sorento KX2; Coachman Pastiche

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...