Winter in Spain? Simple yes or no!

Well the time is almost here for us to make our final decision,to go down to our usual place on Costa Bravo for the whole of this winter, I have done extensive research and the place we go to has been,and is virtually Covid free,very well managed by the council and the police,even the streets are regularly disinfected,and the beach and promenade patrolled.

I know lots of you on here have regularly gone down for the winter.

Are you going this winter or not?     Simple yes or no,    Please don’t let this post turn into a massive discussion into the rights or wrongs of going or not, genuine answers could help some of us make our own minds up,thanks.

in caravan,motorhomes,villa or apartment answers please.  Dave.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Legal Eagle,I have read and digested your good information.  I/we will try not to break any UK or Spanish laws but I feel recommendations are so confusing , and here especially. From

Fly to Spain and rent if you must,  although somewhere else with less disease would be more sensible , and with tickets on an airline which will get you home within a few hours if things get sticky.  

Posted Images

Normally would go twice this winter but for us it is a 

NO

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

no

Ern

At the moment, I'm undecided.   Generally the infection rate throughout Spain is on the rise.   3600 new infections in the last 24 hours.   Before I do any booking, the infection rate needs to be on a downward trend.    For me, it's still wait and see.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

This winter would have been our first venture for a longer term stay - just retired - for now we are undecided.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

I think it is vital to take at least two major considerations into account.

1. travel/health insurance and the current FCDO non-essential travel advice  following Spain's removal from the quarantine exempt list.

2. The completion of the UK exit from the EU on 31st December and the potential complications IF no full agreement is reached.

Edited by Legal Eagle
47 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

I think it is vital to take at least two major considerations into account.

1. travel/health insurance and the current FCDO non-essential travel advice  following Spain's removal from the quarantine exempt list.

2. The completion of the UK exit from the EU on 31st December and the potential complications IF no full agreement is reached.

Accepted,i understand from the gov uk website that my current EHIC card will remain valid after the 31Dec.20 provided i am abroad on that date,irrespective of any Brexit outcome.

Travel insurances are available,more expensive than last year,and may have covid exclusions,some companies i believe will cover Covid,at a cost.

I would not disobey FCO rulings,but recommendations are different.

I have big decision to make and I will keep you all informed of my decision.

thanks for the responses.

It’s a no from me I’m afraid , we were in an apartment this year & were told we would be ok to stay even though all hotel customers were being told to leave , two hours later & the rules were changed , we had to leave , only exceptions were villas etc where it was easier to isolate . It’s a big risk & a long way to travel home , whatever you decide , good luck & have a great time .

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

simple answer? no

long answer? noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Thanks 1

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

37 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

It’s a no from me I’m afraid , we were in an apartment this year & were told we would be ok to stay even though all hotel customers were being told to leave , two hours later & the rules were changed , we had to leave , only exceptions were villas etc where it was easier to isolate . It’s a big risk & a long way to travel home , whatever you decide , good luck & have a great time .

Thanks Stevew1. Looks like a fairly conclusive set of replies,   Interesting.

reluctant no, to many imponderables.

2018 Hyundai Tucson Premium SE CRDi Auto 2L towing a 2011 Bailey Pegasus Genoa

Fly to Spain and rent if you must,  although somewhere else with less disease would be more sensible , and with tickets on an airline which will get you home within a few hours if things get sticky.  

Many caravanners who were turned off campsites in Spain earlier this year, and then found themselves abandoned by Brittany Ferries and left to make their own thousand mile drive to the tunnel will be understanably reluctant to repeat the experience. 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

I suppose the question I would ask the OP is, if you went would you really enjoy it if you end up constantly having to monitor the news? 

David

• Like 1

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Sorry not a simple Yes or No. Presently undecided and intend to make a last minute decision and travel through France if we go.

Issues are:

EHIC might not be valid and travel insurance will be unlikely if travel advice is not recommended by HM Gov.

Will Travel Insurance cover C-19?

Brittany Ferries deposit requirements now negate speculative bookings. Mate

said no crossings available during December and January but haven't verified that.

We are considering driving without van and renting a cabin at our favourite site on the basis that if we need to bail out a swift drive back would be much easier with just a car and flexible Eurotunnel booking. With shared driving it's feasible to be back in Folkestone within 24 hours.

Can't bear the thought of being in the English winter from October to March. Normally spend a month or two in Florida before Christmas (no chance) and Spain Jan to Mar.

Edited by Cyrus

It's all about plus's and minus's I suppose and too many minus's in auld Gas's Book of Life......

Stay home , stay safe. God only know's how thing's will go this winter and it's not looking good as we enter into autumn. At least at home you are surrounded by family and friends who would maybe worry if you were away... 

GAS ...

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Our plans are to go to Morocco again in January or February depending on the Covid-19 situation. There is likely to be free space on the UK-Spain ferries available at short notice (taking the above replies into the equation). If not then drive down through France and Spain to get the ferry from Algeciras to Tangier Med.

We managed Albufeira to Calais in 4 days this year when 'evacuating'! :o

Having done it once we are happy to set off at short notice. Of course it will all depend on whether Europe and Morocco will let us in...if they'll have us then we will go.

BH

Edited by Blackhart

20200904_074341.thumb.png.aefbee6141114f7de5487d3f1d403e39.png

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

No from me, Covid and dog Brexit unknowns.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Regarding Brexit , does anyone know for definite , Not Daily Mail , Express or Sun lies , what may happen after the year end for Brits going to Europe .

things that concern me are the obvious ones like EHIC , insurance , passports etc , I know that the residents there will welcome us with open arms for our spending power it’s just the day to day rules & regs that worry me .

My previous post got me thinking & I had a look on the MyGov website , I found an interesting document & will sign up for the latest news as it comes  out . I’ll put a link on here  , the bit about numberplates & GB stickers is interesting & is something I wasn’t aware of .

https://www.gov.uk/transition-check/results?c[]=does-not-own-operate-business-organisation&c[]=move-to-EU-no&c[]=visiting-driving&c[]=visiting-EU&c[]=travel-EU-business-no&c[]=retired&c[]=living-uk&c[]=nationality-uk