Which petrol car to replace Honda Crv for Coachman Amara?

Hi all, 

We are just back after our 3rd trip out with our 1st caravan. We broke down on the way back (wouldn't go above 3rd gear and steam coming from the engine) and had to be towed home by breakdown recovery. 

We thought the gearbox had broken but the mechanic has confirmed that all is well and the van was probably too heavy for the car, causing the gearbox to overheat.  The car is petrol and automatic. 

We are now looking for a new car but wondered what was recommended by more experienced caravanners.  

Here are some of the things we need:

1. Petrol - due to the upcoming changes that makes diesel cars trickier to sell on. 

2. Large boot (+500 litre, like the Honda crv)

3. Able to tow 1450kg comfortably. 

4. Similar price to Honda crv. 

Perhaps there is someone reading this who has exactly the car that would suit. 

Many thanks for reading! 

Edited by Covid caravanners
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some perceive  that all Diesel cars are going to be totally undesirable due to the Governments push towards all electric ones.   My view is that diesel cars will become more desirable as tim

I read in the newspaper this very morning that 21 towns and cities are set to or considering vehicle restrictions but not all of these will impact private cars, and for those which do will impact petr

TFL are the leaders in the Low and Ultra Low emission zone field. Any Euro 6 car is NOT excluded from any of their zones. Euro 6 diesels are much less polluting than many older (but not that old) petr

Posted Images

Are you looking for new, or new to you? 

Whats your budget? 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Your van is a similar weight to mine (1490kg) which I tow very successfully with a BMW 520 estate. Boot is 560 lt. I much prefer estates to SUV for ride quality etc.  Alternatives are the big Mercs, Volvos, Audis etc. Fair amount of choice available.

1 hour ago, Covid caravanners said:

1. Petrol - due to the upcoming changes that makes diesel cars trickier to sell on..

please tell us more about these upcoming changes.....

• Haha 1

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

Some perceive  that all Diesel cars are going to be totally undesirable due to the Governments push towards all electric ones.

My view is that diesel cars will become more desirable as time goes on, especially those more suited to towing. I have just changed my car, it’s another diesel. When I next change I will almost certainly have yet another. 

I have tried the petrol version of my current car, similar performance BUT max torque is higher up the Rev range so not ideal for towing. 

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 2

30 minutes ago, PMW said:

Probably his changes of mind, he's realised petrol is far superior :D

I tow 1420kg, so slightly less, with an Octavia vRS estate TSI. 610l boot space. Turbo petrols are great for towing, just suffer a bit with the fuel economy while doing so! 

(oops, didn't realise OPs car is already petrol so ignore my foolish first comment!) 

Edited by swirly182
Can't read
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

2 hours ago, Covid caravanners said:

causing the gearbox to overheat.  The car is petrol and automatic. 

1. Petrol - due to the upcoming changes that makes diesel cars trickier to sell on. 

2. Large boot (+500 litre, like the Honda crv)

4. Similar price to Honda crv. 

I wouldnt worry about changes for diesels theres a lot of Talk but when people find out what petrols are putting out the chat about restrictions will move to them.

I'd be very interested to understand why the gearbox overheated and what steamed out gearbox (oil?) Your car should be fine to pull that.

Do you need rear seats plus a boot?

What is your budget?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Covid caravanners said:

Are you referring to the ban not just on diesels but petrol and hybrids in 2035? If my car makes it till then, i'll be well chuffed!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Are you looking for new, or new to you? 

Whats your budget? 

New to us. Around 3-5 years old would be OK. Upto about £16k but could go a bit higher if absolutely necessary. 

58 minutes ago, PMW said:

See @Mr Plodd comment for why🙂

31 minutes ago, Edde said:

I wouldnt worry about changes for diesels theres a lot of Talk but when people find out what petrols are putting out the chat about restrictions will move to them.

I'd be very interested to understand why the gearbox overheated and what steamed out gearbox (oil?) Your car should be fine to pull that.

Do you need rear seats plus a boot?

What is your budget?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Budget is around £16k I'd say. We'd prefer a used car, about 3+ year old. Yes, we need rear seats and a big boot.

We will find out more about what happened when we get the car back tomorrow. The mechanic thinks our gearbox is on the way out and that pulling the caravan was too much for it. 

1 hour ago, UKmitch86 said:

Are you on a B or B+E license?

The standard licence where we didn't have to take the test. So does that mean a B licence? It's my husband, not me... 

43 minutes ago, Edde said:

Older CRv petrol autos use a 3 speed and overdrive box with a maximum limit of 1200kg. 

15 minutes ago, Covid caravanners said:

See @Mr Plodd comment for why🙂

I'm reading that comment but can only see that it supports diesels, far from berating them. I've just bought one diesel, and scrapped a petrol/lpg CRv. I'll be buying another diesel shortly. 

Any further taxation increases on diesels will only apply to new cars, so used diesel values are at best set to stay steady, and quite possibly increase.

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

I’d suggest for longevity there’s no difference between petrol and diesel. 

residual levels could be affected, but then the VW scandal could affect petrol resale values too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personnel with your budget I would stick with the Honda CRV and go for either a low mileage 2.2 manual or the later 1.6 diesel auto.

• Thanks 1

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

2 minutes ago, Oscarmax said:

Personnel with your budget I would stick with the Honda CRV and go for either a low mileage 2.2 manual or the later 1.6 diesel auto.

Largely agree, though I would go for a 2.2 dtec auto. The later auto box is IIRC rated at 1800kg, more than you would want to tow at a sensible weight ratio. Nothing the government is going to do be it this year, next year or next century will affect the resale value of one of those. 

Edited by PMW
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oscarmax said:

Thanks, is this 2.2 manual a petrol option?  Do you have one too? 🙂

Yes I understand your diesel concerns as every sales figure for new and used diesels apart from the largest SUV's shows a big year on year fall in demand with no signs of slowing.

Used car prices for diesels keep falling.

That does mean there are good deals on used diesels and if you get a cheap or interest free PCP you can get a Guaranteed Future Value at the end of the term so at least you have a financial fall back if the bottom drops out of the market.

That's what I've just done. 1.4 TSi 150PS models were typically £1500 more expensive than 2.0TDi 150PS models at 3 years old. I do 15k miles a year so diesel makes sense for me. But I went PCP so I got a GFV.

Any modern 2.0 turbo petrol will have plenty of power and torque for your caravan but have only become really popular in the SUV class in the last couple of years so £16k will be a struggle.

What about a Superb Estate 2.0TSi 4x4 DSG?

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

13 hours ago, logiclee said:

Used car prices for diesels keep falling.

According to HPI used diesel prices are not falling, but increasing as the number of new sales falls, the number of good nearly new vehicles is also getting less. Whilst the faith in diesel in the new car market seems fragile in the used market it's as strong as ever. 

Remember recent tax changes only effect first year ownership, and any future changes will only effect new cars making the nearly new and used diesel market very attractive

Edited by PMW
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

Not Sure what age your current Crv is, I have had a '17' plate Auto 2.0l petrol and a '65' plate Auto 1.6 Diesel both will tow 1500kg. Towed with both and never experienced any issues like you describe, even on a very long continuous tow where if it was going to overheat I would expect it to. 

Both were good tow cars the petrol being normally aspirated was much slower up to speed and slower to accelerate but would happily cruise. The diesel obviously had more torque and acceleration was better but personally preferred the petrol.  I expect either of these would be in your budget.

• Thanks 1

I in my mid 30's and caravan with my caravaning cat all year.  Honda CRV '65' Plate 1.6 Diesel towing Swift Corniche 15/2E 1995  Hyundai Santa Fe towing Adria Dart (with weight upgrade to 1800 kg)

Have a look at the Kia Sportage range, the CMC club recently did a test drive on the 1.6 petrol turbo GT line and it was very favourable on a van heavier than yours, this is an option I am looking at to replace my diesel Kia. On the subject of diesel bans 21 towns and cities in the UK either have or are actively looking at restrictions/bans on diesel vehicles which potentially could cause a problem when out and about from your campsite. I agree with the comment that attention will  eventually turn to petrol cars but not to the benefit of diesel cars. PS : I have a number of friends and family who have now gone to the Kia option and are very happy. If you can find a new shape Kia Sportage for your budget it will come with trailer assist as standard.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Covid caravanners said:

Thanks, is this 2.2 manual a petrol option?  Do you have one too? 🙂

Yes a few years ago we had a 2.2 manual diesel CRV fantastic tow car about 30 mpg towing our Swift Conqueror, we did try the automatic version it was a 5 speed but a very old fashion horrible system plus only had a 1500 kg towing limit.

One option would be the 2 litre petrol manual version several caravaners we meet on site were more than happy with them and around 25mpg towing.

• Thanks 1

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

59 minutes ago, PMW said:

According to HPI used diesel prices are not falling, but increasing as the number of new sales falls,

HPI have said that diesels are selling faster but then go on to explain why.

image.png.bd2cd0166c81bde9adc9b300b6efdc6b.png

More Worryingly CAP predicts.

image.png.190ad4c7635363dba0ec6713e3858413.png

Diesel is only going one way and to be honest so will Petrol as we move to PHEV and BEV.

It's how best you reduce your risk depending on how long you intend to keep the vehicle.

And different sectors of the market are moving differently. The values of used diesel superminins have plummeted. For big SUV's diesel prices remain strong. It depends where you are in the market.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, logiclee said:

For big SUV's diesel prices remain strong. It depends where you are in the market.

I'm not sure that's the case for new diesel SUVs. We are selling our Toyota Land Cruiser and there seem to be some very attractive deals around. I am hesitant to buy another new diesel SUV though.

43 minutes ago, Nilrem said:

I'm not sure that's the case for new diesel SUVs. We are selling our Toyota Land Cruiser and there seem to be some very attractive deals around. I am hesitant to buy another new diesel SUV though.

I was more looking at the Used Market where PHEV and Petrol are still very rare.

Yes there is a shift in full size SUV diesel sales but currently the percentage of new sales is still highly diesel. The smaller you go the bigger the shift away from diesel.

VAG have already said they are dropping diesel totally from some of their smaller SUV/Crossover ranges due to lack of sales.

2 hours ago, bobthevanman said:

Have a look at the Kia Sportage range, the CMC club recently did a test drive on the 1.6 petrol turbo GT line and it was very favourable on a van heavier than yours, this is an option I am looking at to replace my diesel Kia. On the subject of diesel bans 21 towns and cities in the UK either have or are actively looking at restrictions/bans on diesel vehicles which potentially could cause a problem when out and about from your campsite. I agree with the comment that attention will  eventually turn to petrol cars but not to the benefit of diesel cars. PS : I have a number of friends and family who have now gone to the Kia option and are very happy. If you can find a new shape Kia Sportage for your budget it will come with trailer assist as standard.

Does the ban include euro 6 temp d  diesels?

TFL are the leaders in the Low and Ultra Low emission zone field. Any Euro 6 car is NOT excluded from any of their zones. Euro 6 diesels are much less polluting than many older (but not that old) petrol cars. 

So if you think you are likely to want to visit any of the cities talking about low emission zones as long as you get yourself a Euro 6 compliant car there will be no 

problem.

I have every intention with sticking with diesel for the foreseeable future, I could of course be forced to do so but I cannot see diesel cars being taken off the road but I can the sale of new ones ceasing. 

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1