Should I reject my 2018 Elddis

Message added by CT Advertising,

CoachmanEach Coachman caravan is built to our exacting standards using state-of-the-art construction methods and materials and finished with the highest levels of specification and features.

We strive to move forward in our quest to create the perfect caravan.
Visit Coachman.co.uk for further details.

Sorry in advance for the lengthy 1st post

Hi All . I'm a newbie to the forums and site in general but an oldie to caravanning (grew up spending most of my holidays in either static or touring vans till I was 13/14yrs old) . We have recently taken the plunge and bought a 2018my Elddis Chatsworth 550 from a well known dealership ( the Chatsworth is their own special) collecting it on the 11th August after about a 6 week wait for them to prepare it for us (committed to sale on the 28th June after many visits and weeks of deliberation on layout, berth, make, budget etc) .  Our first trip away was a shakedown for 3 nights at the Plassey in Wrexham( lovely family park with great facilities) . Consequently a list of faults that need addressing was emailed to the dealer on the 19th after 1 night away and a very manic and frustrated phone call to them .. biggest fault was fridge innoperable .. food spoiled beer warm😥 etc suffice to say that after calls to dealer an agreement was made for takeaways/restaurant visits etc to be reimbursed and compensation looked at due to faults that hadn't been addressed in the 6 weeks they had to prepare the van for our collection.  A number of very polite emails have been sent back and forth culminating in the van going back to the dealer last Friday 28th August for work to be done rectifying issues found with the van. Whilst all this is going on I was sifting through the ownership pack sent via postal service to us a few days after we had collected the van (was missing on the day of collection 🤷🏼‍♂️) . I have noticed that although 2019's service paperwork is in the pack I can't find any from 2020 (April schedule so even before we had first seen the van and agreed to purchase) . The 10yr warranty was discussed (6yrs for 2nd owner) with the salesman when we were chewing the fat over Alutech vs Solid on the day I signed on the dotted line  and paid my 1k deposit... we were promised that the van had full service and therefore would still be under manufacturers warranty. We also paid for 39mths of the dealers own "platinum warranty" as a belt and braces thing as it covers the GRP panels specifically in addition (reason for the extra warranty) . The lack of 2020 service details was pointed out in the 1st email on the 19th of Aug and also was mentioned in the telephone conversation I had with the sevice manager on the 18th as the fridge fault surely should have been picked up on the service ? as yet I have had no response from the dealer or explanation on this issue (the last time this was pointed out was as I handed the keys to the young lady at the sevice centre last Friday) . I so want the issues to be resolved and for the van to be as close to perfect as possible when I eventually collect it but I'm torn that this whole situation smacks of polished sales service .. tardy preparation and head in the sand reaction from the after sales and service dept now I have taken them to task . I feel I have grounds to reject under the consumer act 2015 especially if the 2020 service is non existent as this would invalidate the manufacturers warranty(however flimsy it is deemed to be it's still something to have as another level of recourse should catastrophe occur)  I have some finance on the van and paid a portion of the down payment via a credit card  although that was paid back to the cc company the next day (another level of protection should things go pear shaped was my thinking) . Any help or advice is really welcome ... Thanks Ste 

All dealers had to close due to corona virus restrictions and the manufacturers extended the time to complete services that were due, possibly by 6 months. So if your service was due in April then depending on what Elddis have said, you may have until October to have the service. The fridge not working when you collected it though does not seem good, did they show you it working as part of the handover ?

Whether you want to reject the caravan might depend on if you like it since things not working can be fixed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Richard080561 said:

Not liking it isn't grounds for rejecting it.

I really like the van .. wouldn't have bought it if that wasn't the case 👍🏻. But I have concerns  obviously about the service records so will pursue this moving forward .. thanks Paul1957 for that little nugget of info .. hope that is the case 🤞

40 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

All dealers had to close due to corona virus restrictions and the manufacturers extended the time to complete services that were due, possibly by 6 months. So if your service was due in April then depending on what Elddis have said, you may have until October to have the service. The fridge not working when you collected it though does not seem good, did they show you it working as part of the handover ?

Whether you want to reject the caravan might depend on if you like it since things not working can be fixed.

The fridge was powered up and on collection but obviously it takes a good while to cool consequently 1st test was on shakedown .. fella in the neighbouring van had same Dometic model in his Lunar and reckoned cooling system probably failed due to being shutdown for so long whilst in dealership care ... is this a common issue ??  .. on my radar if it is as we are lucky enough to be able to store in our rear garden so it can be powered up regularly over the winter (spare beer fridge maybe 😉🤔)

1 minute ago, thedouglastribe said:

The fridge was powered up and on collection but obviously it takes a good while to cool consequently 1st test was on shakedown .. fella in the neighbouring van had same Dometic model in his Lunar and reckoned cooling system probably failed due to being shutdown for so long whilst in dealership care ... is this a common issue ??  .. on my radar if it is as we are lucky enough to be able to store in our rear garden so it can be powered up regularly over the winter (spare beer fridge maybe 😉🤔)

In my many years of caravan ownership I haven't heard that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 5

Hi Ste, I feel for you, and I can hazzard a VERY good guess where you brought it! ( same as us). As you paid a balance on a Credit Card this gives you some power under the Section 75. AT present we too are trying to get our faulty van rejected.

It's a long post alltogether and I can't at this time of morning work out how long you have had it. If under 6 months I believe the dealer has to prove that it was not faulty at point of sale. After then it is for you to prove faults there when you purchased.

I would ring CAB for advise, they are very helpful.  You have to give them one right to repair the faults then if that fails you can in theory reject it.

59 minutes ago, junglejim said:

Hi Ste, I feel for you, and I can hazzard a VERY good guess where you brought it! ( same as us). As you paid a balance on a Credit Card this gives you some power under the Section 75. AT present we too are trying to get our faulty van rejected.

It's a long post alltogether and I can't at this time of morning work out how long you have had it. If under 6 months I believe the dealer has to prove that it was not faulty at point of sale. After then it is for you to prove faults there when you purchased.

I would ring CAB for advise, they are very helpful.  You have to give them one right to repair the faults then if that fails you can in theory reject it.

Junglejim.. I collected the van on the 11th August so well within the 6mths you mention.  I really don't want to go down the rejection route with all the ensuing stress that this will cause so hope the dealer can rectify the faults to my satisfaction ,my wife would probably not want to continue with the Caravan scenario if this happened so for me the better outcome would be fix and be happy but I suppose oit of my hands atm and up fo the dealers after sales skills to sort this.  General thoughts on after sales service if the dealer is the same as you would be good as forewarned is forarmed in my book 👍🏻. Is direct messaging available in this forum at all ??. Thanks for your sympathy though 😉

We know what its like to be disapointed with your new caravan. Been there and got the.. I think you said that the caravan is with the dealer right now, so why not have a quiet chat with the dealer and explain that you want all the defects rectified, an explanation of what went wrong with the fridge, the 2020 service done (ask about the Alde fluid which requires replacement after 2 yrs) and the records updated. Also ask for written confirmation that the manufacturers warranty is valid to you for the remaining period. You want all this otherwise you will reject the caravan. If they cant agree to these things then I think you are entitled to reject it. If they do all these things and throw in the Alde fluid change without charge then you have what you have paid for. Best of luck.

• Like 1

Ern

Most dealers are like this, sales good, service side can be a pain, especially now as they are so busy. 

The dealer should be able to service the van and keep the waranty, but best check with Elddis Customer Services first to see how much time you have to get it done.

This is from CT at the top of the Elddis page - http://www.elddis.co.uk/hub/article/550/servicing-your-vehicle

The next question is if Elddis are OK with the timescale, who will pay for the service, as I bet the dealer will not want to. 

If not then you should reject as the van was sold with a false description, i.e remaining Elddis warranty and FSH.

THe fridges stand all winter in storage so leaving it will not cause any issues. Looks like no PDI done and a sloppy handover which is not uncommon.

Edited by ian16527

Direct messaging is avaible on this forum and called Private Messaging or PM. 

Click on a persons avatar to take you to their personal details page and click on the envelope. It is private, one to one and not moderated. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

As has been pointed out already, the service window should be fine due to easing of terms under Covid but best to check.

Good point made re the Alde fluid change as that could cost you @ £160 and if the service had been completed on time as you were lead to believe it had been then the service and the fluid change could be worth @ £400 to you.

So, if I liked the caravan and dealer will carry out the service obligations plus repair the fridge then i would let them do it and keep the caravan. If they try to wriggle on any of these then you may need to re-think or look to an acceptable compromise. The delay to the servicing window is well documented as you will see from a previous thread so no reason why you should not ring Elddis and confirm if it is serviced soon now do they consider it has a full history and is the warranty complied with for the 6 years from new.

Hopefully a sensible approach to the dealer will get this resolved and you can get on with enjoying the caravan. For what it is worth I like my Elddis caravans (on our 3rd, parents on 2nd and brother just bought one.

I have found Elddis helpful to date although others have not found this.

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

I have sent you a DM when you get a chance to look. Thanks.

I would add that if you are not happy with the dealers workmanship, can you try another Elddis approved dealer, however in my experience if you didn't buy the van from them they seem unwilling to take on work.

The neighbours comment about fridge not working due to not being used is most unlikely. Many caravans spend all winter not being used. They dont have circulation pumps to seize like domestics.

• 1 month later...

Hi all . Just a quick update to this thread . 1st thanks to all those that have commented/messaged/replied... all was greatly appreciated.  

The van is still with the dealers and has not yet had all the repairs done .. apparently all that is outstanding is the fridge .. the most important/most ridiculous fault of all .. " waiting for parts" " no idea when it will be sorted" . We have now paid 2 payments of the small finance amount and have had the van in our actual possession for about 18 days since August 11th . It has been in the dealers workshop since 28th/29th August.  It has become the biggest waste of time and money I have ever experienced . Adding insurance /warranty /CRiS registration /fuel/towbar/etc to the total I'm out by close to 19k and I still dont physically have my caravan in my possession.  My question to the wider community is this . Do I still have the option to reject as it stands .?I feel I just need to draw a line under this whole nightmare now but I dont know how to proceed if this is still an option . I'm sorry if I seem clueless .. but I am .. never been in this situation before .. ever!!!

Thanks again for all your help 🤷🏼‍♂️

• JanandJay changed the title to Should I reject my 2018 Elddis

Our informative member Legal Eagle should be able to give you some good and honest advice.

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

I'll keep this all in simplistic terms. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 it is assumed in law that any fault occurring within the first 6 months was present at the time of the buyer taking delivery. After 6 months the buyer has to prove it was. Just to clarify the often misunderstood right to reject goods first. The goods must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for their intended purpose. If the goods are not one or more of those 3 conditions in the first 30 days of taking delivery you have the unquestionable right to reject for a full refund.

Between 31 days and 6 months the seller must be given the opportunity for one repair. If the repair is unsuccessful or unsatisfactory you have the right to reject as before or accept a price reduction.

As I understand it, you have owned the caravan for 2 months, waived your right to rejection within the first 30 days and it is now in for the first repair attempt of all faults as you would prefer to keep the caravan.

You must now wait to see if those repairs are successful. If they are not then you may be able to reject the goods. The repairs must be carried out within a reasonable time. What is "reasonable" would be determined by a court taking into account all of the circumstances- nature of the fault, work required, availability of spares, skill required, covid-19 restrictions & difficulties etc.

In writing, try to get an explanation for any delays and a firm completion date for all repairs plus an itemised list of what has been done. If the other repairs are satisfactorily completed but the fridge is holding everything up unreasonably, consider rejecting the fridge for a replacement if that would be quicker.

I hope it all works out well for you.

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • Like 4
  • I agree completely 1

Well after a phone call yesterday completely out of the blue .. all the repairs have been completed .. collected this morning .. just need to ensure the fridge is working by testing over the next few days .. Hopefully all will be good and some happy times can be had when this awful Covid19 stuff is finally under control . Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy . Who has plans not to go to Wales now the Welsh people have finally been able to say "Cadwch draw" to the English and mean it 😉. I love Wales btw and have family ties as my Grandma was Welsh so not being prejudicial in any way . Thanks again for all your advice and support guys ❤

20201017_111918.jpg

• Like 1

glad things are finally working out for you. BTW it looks as if Wales will be on a  fire break lock down very soon so yes, stay away :D  One other bit of advice for you , take your pegs off the clothes line  , they will rot if you leave them there.;)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, joanie said:

One other bit of advice for you , take your pegs off the clothes line  , they will rot if you leave them there.;)

Glad it’s worked out for you, we love our Elddis.

Adding to Joanie’s advice, hope there’s not to many wayward shots at the hoop☹️May end up with few marks and dings on the van🤔 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Good to see you are now sorted. As well as wayward shots, if the hoop is not fastened down and it is windy, make sure it is not near the caravan since they are easy to dent if it fell over and hit the caravan.

Our caravan came from Glossop and it had a couple of warranty claims. Getting spare parts always seemed to take many weeks, probably not the fault of Glossop but Elddis might not keep them in stock.

• Thanks 2

Hi all . Thanks for all the good advice . Pegs live in a box normally but hurriedly collected washing this morning as it started raining whilst bringing van into garden . Hoop was living on hardstanding whilst caravan was at dealer .. normally at other end of garden to facilitate long (3pt)shot practice by my youngest .. his speciality for his team 🏀🏀😉 . Advice on a winter cover would be welcome  .. should I be concerned about humidity and does it need to be bone dry when initially covered ? if it does .. that ship has sailed I suppose 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

Hi Doug

whereabouts are you? Wales is out ( we do Plassey a lot too!) but if you want to test the van and you’re in the north west I recommend a site in Ingleton for the weekend, service pitch £25 a night which is good value. 

for covers, I’ve still not made my mind up about a full cover, but our van is on our drive facing west, and I keep the towing cover on to protect against the elements blowing in from the Irish Sea ( we’re in Formby)