Stu H

Hobby Sockets

Apologies if this has been covered before - I tried the Search function and nothing came up.

I have just bought a Hobby and have noticed that the sockets are all Euro spec' - I will be looking to change these over to 3 pin UK spec and most possibly with USB charge points if at all possible.
I'm sure others will have done this and am curious as to how they got on / what they used etc.
Thanks in Advance

Can you show photos of how they mounted please?

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Sorted now thanks - the ones above the sink (yes - above the sink!) are moulded into the window surround so cant be changed and the others can just be changed over for standard 25mm back boxes.

What about using travel adaptors that we use when going to Europe hotels?

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Do the std 25mm back boxes have USB sockets as I thought USB ones were thicker than 25mms?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Remember if you add sockets with USB then your USB sockets will only work when your van is plugged in. Install 12v powered ones and they will work even when off grid. 

Caravan USB sockets are pretty expensive but look in the auto / truck market and they are much more reasonable. 

Thanks - its on a seasonal pitch so no issues with 12V thanks

One <VERY> important point. Almost everything electrical you buy on the continent has a two-pin Schuko plug which is reversible. For safety purposes the appliance or whatever has double pole switching. It therefore doesn't matter which way round you insert the plug the appliance will always be safe when connected but not in use. Wiring is radial with every outlet having its own MCB.

In the UK 13A sockets have a single pole switch which breaks the live wire only, and to protect the cable there is a fuse in the live wire in the plug. Wiring is in a ring which effectively has all sockets in parallel fed from a single MCB. As such European electricians don't bother which way round they connect the live and neutral - even in BS4343 blue connectors! - as they know it will be safe by default for other reasons.

When you wire up the new 13A sockets IT IS VITAL that you ascertain which is the live wire on the back of the existing Schuko socket so that you connect it to the L terminal on the 13A socket. If you wire the 13A socket the wrong way round you risk leaving the appliance live even when it is plugged but switched off at the socket.

Note also that whilst the earth cable in a European 3-core flex should be green with a yellow stripe like ours there are other standards for the live and neutral wires. I have even seen black and white with the black being the live!

In a nutshell, unless you know exactly what you are doing and why, get someone qualified to do the job so as to protect you and your family. 

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

46 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

One <VERY> important point. Almost everything electrical you buy on the continent has a two-pin Schuko plug which is reversible. For safety purposes the appliance or whatever has double pole switching. It therefore doesn't matter which way round you insert the plug the appliance will always be safe when connected but not in use.

Continental appliances are not generally double pole switched. They are, however, double insulated, thus providing adequate protection whichever way they are connected even with a live feed present. Apart from different plugs attached to the leads, appliances sold in the UK are generally identical to those on the Continent, so UK appliances would be equally well protected.

• I agree completely 1

Blimey  - that never occurred to me.  Thanks for the heads up. I just assumed that the polarity would be correct and that, if it were incorrect, the RCD would trip. I see changing a socket a bit like wiring a plug.  Just purchased a socket tester.

2 hours ago, Stu H said:

Blimey  - that never occurred to me.  Thanks for the heads up. I just assumed that the polarity would be correct and that, if it were incorrect, the RCD would trip. I see changing a socket a bit like wiring a plug.  Just purchased a socket tester.

There is no reason why the RCD should trip as it just compares the current flowing in the live and neutral lines.

22 hours ago, Woodentop said:

In the UK 13A sockets have a single pole switch which breaks the live wire only, and to protect the cable there is a fuse in the live wire in the plug.

Many UK 13 A sockets are single pole, but not all.  (Some even have no switch ;)

My home has Volex flat plate Double Pole switched sockets or unswitched sockets fed from Double Pole isolators (e.g. washing m/c, dishwasher).

I buy and fit DP switched sockets whenever I add / change sockets in a caravan or most homes I've had (this one came with DP courtesy of the Builders, though).  I've yet to check if the Bailey switched sockets are SP or DP.  I keep meaning to :blush:.

Black live, white neutral is correct in the USA for example, with green or green/yellow for earth.  Once upon a time I'd have had a lookup table for the different countries' colour codes to hand for when EMI exported medical equipment (CT scanners).

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.