Removing Alko spare wheel carrier

Having carried my spare wheel in front box for a number of years, on my 2015 Eccles Topaz, I'm thinking of removing the Alko spare wheel carrier. Just wondered if anyone who has removed the carrier has had any problems or issues later and does anyone know what the weight saving would be?

In other words is it worth removing it?

I took mine off the day we took the caravan home, it went out by the gate and the local scrap collector removed it. 

My spare has been stored under the bed over the axle for 10 years.

It wasn’t removed to save weight, it was removed because it was a pain to get the carrier to slide out against a kerb and get the wheel off it, as discovered on the previous caravan when we had a puncture.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

I am with Grandpa Steve on this one, mine is now a handy rack for hanging tools on in my shed.

If you search this forum you will find that almost everyone has removed theirs.

When I tried to carry out a 'test' removal of the spare from the rack I soon realised that it had to go.

As my wife said "it must have been designed by a man"

Ours is still under the Caravan floor, but I have modified it so that it comes out easily from either side. I agree they are a b' awfull design but its a good location for the spare if you can put up with it.

To answer the OP question, they apparently weigh 7Kg, and can easily be removed with a pair if pliers  to straighten the split pins.

If you think you will sell the caravan in the future, the dealer will probably want it and may even charge you for it on the px.

Thanks for replies, I've just got to the point where it seems silly to carry it everywhere for  no purpose. 

Another one who agrees with Grandpa Steve here. Bought our last caravan brand new. Drove it around 5 miles to the storage facility and decided to try to remove the spare. Flat dry surface and no vehicles screaming past and it still took around 40 mins to get it to slide out so I removed the carrier and put the spare on the caravan floor while travelling and put it under the caravan when on site. I put the carrier in the front garden in order to take it to the tip on the weekend and the scrap metal faries removed it during the night. Current caravan has it stored under the bed.

Dropped mine yesterday to check spare pressure, only took a couple of minutes but new van, never had to actually take a wheel off the carriers as yet but I can see the difficulties on the nearside even worse on continent.

I always take the carrier off after reading on this forum years ago how difficult they are and trying it for myself in the storage yard then taking the van home which made matters worse with kerb being in the way,  in fact I had to drop the whole carrier to remove the wheel so now the spare wheel lives in a bag under the bed.

I removed the wheel and carrier as soon as I got the caravan home. Wheel in plastic bag under bed near axle. Keeps it clean if ever you need to carry it out to fit it. The carrier weighed just over 7 kg.  I'm with Grandpa Steve ... recycle the carrier to the dump.

Also, the Alko carrier puts dents in the tyre wall. I removed mine and stored it in the garage, and refitted it when trading the caravan in for my next one. I kept the spare wheel in a wheel bag as I was getting my hands dirty everytime I picked it up...

35336018000_db2011c6fa_o.thumb.jpg.f3059c7cc999722d7e8652c14686a878.jpg

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, swirly182 said:

What's wrong with the front locker?! 

Nothing at all, I have done exactly that, however, the nose weight needs to be checked after you have put it in the front locker.

Absolutely. I have only the spare wheel, aquaroll and waste master in the front locker whilst towing. 

So what's the logic behind carrying them underneath? Are some caravans too nose heavy from the factory? 

I tried a wheel change rehearsal with mine and it was worse than useless, it is positively dangerous to use.  I took it right off and it went in the council metal scrap bin.

• 1 month later...

jeepers ! i have forgotten all about ours underneath only had it since march so next job is going to be removing it post haste as i detest the blinking things ,even worse now its a double axle cant jack one end up enough to give clearance to remove it now .........   

My carrier is in the garage ....for potential future sale of the caravan.

The spare goes in the back of the car.
Provided you have enough space and payload capacity in the car, it’s the best place for it. IMHO.

It is accessible without having to go under or inside the caravan; it avoids excess noseweight from the combination of removing the wheel from the back and placing it in the front gas locker;  it gives back some payload load for the caravan and if laid down with the hub recess upwards, it still provides some constrained storage space ....for my tool bag and other items.

Having just picked up a new (to us) Twin Axle this is on my to do list for the weekend!  Carrier will be stored behind the shed for resale and the wheels will go under the fixed bed pretty much in the same location as it was when slung underneath!

• 1 month later...
On 30/08/2020 at 09:45, Ern said:

Ours is still under the Caravan floor, but I have modified it so that it comes out easily from either side. I agree they are a b' awfull design but its a good location for the spare if you can put up with it.

To answer the OP question, they apparently weigh 7Kg, and can easily be removed with a pair if pliers  to straighten the split pins.

If you think you will sell the caravan in the future, the dealer will probably want it and may even charge you for it on the px.

Iv'e modified mine the same as Ern, it's readily available if and when I need it, from either side too if I'm abroad. Agreed it's a cheap terrible design but this simple mod does improve it's functionality.

Dave.

This has just reminded me to do something about ours.  Because of problems with recovery companies insisting that you have a serviceable spare for the car (read the small print in the Mayday booklet!), I already carry a full size spare for my car on a roof rack. (No room in the normal boot space because of the Adblue tank) No reason why the 'van spare can't go on there as well.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

Just spent £126 on a spare wheel carrier for my Swift Conqueror.

Never liked the spare wheel located right at the back of the caravan under the bed.

Now its low down behind the axle improving stability.

I agree that its  a pain sliding it out and lubricating the slides every year-which is not recommended by AL-KO.

You do not need to bother sliding it out in a flat tyre situation just remove the split pins and pull the carrier plus wheel out.

It was not easy to fit by disabled me but I got there by balancing the spare wheel and carrier on my 2 ton trolley jack😊.

The instructions are useless.

The RAC person will have to cope with using it in the event of a flat tyre.

Weight of mine is 7.5 kilos.

Sadly the contraption fitted by Bailey is not much better than the AL-KO device.

If you don't keep the cable taught when lowering/raising the spare wheel the whole caboodle gets jammed around the drum and it is either a replacement ( about £117 ) or an extremely fiddly repair job.

Ian

well, thank goodness our latest caravan , a Bailey has the spare wheel under the bed.  I thought that it would be in the way but it's been no problem.  On our other vans the wheel has been in the carrier underneath and my OH always made sure that the caravan breakdown covered any punctures.  I've never thought to ask but on a normal service do they check the spare tyre and  that the carrier is working, or is it a case of pigs might fly?

21 hours ago, ancell said:

I'm sure if you'd asked here someone would have donated one to you!

25 minutes ago, joanie said:

I've never thought to ask but on a normal service do they check the spare tyre and  that the carrier is working, or is it a case of pigs might fly?

I think the answer is that they should check both, it’s certainly shown as an “item” on my service sheet from the dealer.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

22 hours ago, ancell said:

Never liked the spare wheel located right at the back of the caravan under the bed.

Now its low down behind the axle improving stability.

I agree that its  a pain sliding it out and lubricating the slides every year-which is not recommended by AL-KO.

You do not need to bother sliding it out in a flat tyre situation just remove the split pins and pull the carrier plus wheel out.

It was not easy to fit by disabled me but I got there by balancing the spare wheel and carrier on my 2 ton trolley jack😊.

The instructions are useless.

The RAC person will have to cope with using it in the event of a flat tyre.

Weight of mine is 7.5 kilos.

Here is my mod' to improve the AL-KO carrier.

ALKO SPARE WHEEL CARRIER MODIFICATION.doc