Steve W77

Time to leave the clubs

Having listened to the views expressed, I have booked a 14 day break in Yorkshire for next June.

Just in case France is still of limits. I still think it is a stupid system, but If hat's the only way, so be it.

• Like 1

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

What “system” do you think is stupid??

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

18 minutes ago, Steve W77 said:

.......... I have booked a 14 day break in Yorkshire for next June.

Just in case France is still of limits. 

In over 50 years of membership of the Caravan Club, you are the first person we know of who has booked "just in case" ... 

• Haha 1

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Cyrus said:

This behaviour is now commonplace and arguably the only way you will get a decent length booking.

The problem needs to get fixed because new members will be very disappointed with what's on offer and folks who don't book ahead a year at a time will be unlucky.

There is a lot of noise about this on the wider forums, more so than than the previous "annual booking day" so I guess they will eventually bring in deposits.

I agree that it would be fairer to some club members if deposits were taken like CCC do, but it aint gona happen, because the CMC management are quite happy with trade as it is and that is all that matters to them. There has been a big increase in demand for sites over the last few years driven by people with a lump of money to spend. Now the staycation thing has raised membership and demand for pitches even further. As long as the occupancy rate for pitches and membership is good, the CMC management can glory in their success.

Edited by Ern

Ern

We're not members of either club, but as regards holidays, I agree with PP that you have to be open minded and flexible as to where you go if you wish to book at relatively short notice. Like many others, we had several holidays and weekends, booked and paid for, that were cancelled and refunded due to Covid. 

Once the government announced the reopening of sites in England, we set about trying to get a fortnight away for the three of us, starting on July 4th, as this was our only window before Mr. D was expected to be available for work again. My only stipulations were a fully serviced pitch, and laundry facilities as we did not wish to carry too many clothes etc. 

Of course, this was when the world and his uncle were all trying to Get Away for the "Great British Staycation" following lockdown, so it wasn't easy finding somewhere. After much internet searching and phoning around, we eventually settled on one week in a site in Staffordshire, close to the Derbyshire border, followed by a second week in North Cumbria. Both lovely sites, in beautiful countryside and farm land, both with fully serviced pitches and laundry as required, both busy as expected, but no trouble or noise, and a lovely time was had by all, caravanners, motorhomers and campervanners, and tenters alike. Everyone was just enjoying being away at last. 

So yes, flexibility is what's needed, in our case, or at any other times. We've been away for weekends, before and since lockdown, to several sites, the great majority of them private, with no affiliation to either club. We've been happy with all of them; we just enjoy getting away with our 'van.

• I agree completely 1

The OP referred to both clubs. The C&CC takes deposits and still has very little availability. The CAMH policy does not help but the situation would still be very much the same.

16 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

I am one of those people. I book with the intention and desire to attend, but my employers often cancel my days off with just a few hours notice, so I have no choice but to cancel, sometimes with insufficient notice so I end up with the CMAC warning letters.

If I left it until the Friday afternoon to book a pitch, I wouldn't get on. Catch 22.

Your employer is legally obligated to give you a period of notice equivalent to the period of holiday booked, so should not be cancelling your leave with hours notice. If this incurs costs due to a lost deposit your employer should pay these under a "mutual duty of care". 

If you left it until last minute to book you are right, you wouldn't get on, because the current system means everything is full with speculative bookings. Remove that facility and availability opens up. 

14 hours ago, Cyrus said:

There is a lot of noise about this on the wider forums, more so than than the previous "annual booking day" so I guess they will eventually bring in deposits.

Let's hope so. Even if the deposit was transferable to another booking if cancelled 48 hours before arrival, it would solve much of the problem. 

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

What “system” do you think is stupid??

Being able to book a site without paying a substantial deposit.

• I agree completely 1

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

6 minutes ago, Steve W77 said:

Being able to book a site without paying a substantial deposit.

There are lots of sites you can book and pay a substantial deposit, just not with the C&MC.

The people that this affects are the only ones moaning about it.

As had been said, the C&CC  take deposits and they too have very little available, so what would you have them do, take even bigger deposits?

The only people you hear complaining about the C&MC booking system are the ones it doesn’t suit, there are thousands more that it does suit that are happy with it, so is it once again the minority making the loudest noise that gets something changed, I do hope not!

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PMW said:

Your employer is legally obligated to give you a period of notice equivalent to the period of holiday booked, so should not be cancelling your leave with hours notice. If this incurs costs due to a lost deposit your employer should pay these under a "mutual duty of care". 

Sadly my employers are outside of such rules and don't have to give any notice at all if they need you to stay at work. When you set off to work each day you have no idea if you will finish on time, or if you will have to work your weekend off. It's all part of the pay conditions I'm afraid.

So I have to make lots of advance bookings which often I have no idea if I will actually be able to turn up to until the day of departure. I use up my allowance of warnings with the CMAC most years, and sometimes exceed them, where i have to write to them with explanations to try and get them withdrawn.

Edited by LeadFarmer

Land Rover Defender 110 300tdi & 2019 Swift Aventura M4SB

To be honest the CMC has worked a blinder for us this year, our French holiday was cancelled courtesy of HMG with 4 days notice. 

We'd already booked a CMC site expecting this but had amended as we didn't fancy 14 nights in the one place.

We were able to book 3 nights on a commercial and 4 nights on a different CMC site. Followed the 7 nights we had originally booked.

None of it was ideal or really wanted but it's all we could get. 

I wouldn't have done any of it if the site's needed a deposit so I'm grateful the CMC works the system it has. 

Having lost a fortune on site fees I'm grateful of this system in place as we've holidayed as best as we could. We also looked at loads of other sites commercial and club. None had a full week free so I don't think it's down to a particular club system. Just loads of us that normally holiday abroad not being able or wanting to go.

On 30/08/2020 at 18:29, PMW said:

Whilst the virus is not the clubs fault (though I'm surprised we haven't heard some kind of conspiracy theory to suggest it is) the lack of availability to prebook very much is and is down to their policy of not taking deposits. Neither is this a new thing, so blaming it on the virus is a non starter. 

There are far too many members who book "just in case", just in case they can get time off work, just in case the weather's good etc. 

We first came across this many years ago when we used to visit Dorset for New Year. because of work commitments I could never book until a few weeks ahead and Hunter's Moon near Wareham was invariably fully booked. My sister, who had booked well in advance was amazed how many empty pitches there were every night, at times the site was only half full, despite being "fully booked." The warden admitted it was a regular occurrence with late cancellations and no shows. 

It was a mixed blessing for us as it forced us to book at Wareham Forest, just up the road which is now our site of choice in the area and far superior to the CMC site. 

I do not believe that empty pitches on sites are due to the clubs not having taken for bookings for sites shown as full. The site staff will confirm that this is normally down to people not showing up and in some cases due to some pitches being available only for single nights wen people need more.

The CAMH say that without bookings the number of no shows is far less as people appreciate the situation and will ring if problems arise. If you have a none returnable deposit and cannot go, then many people simply write off the deposit and do nothing leaving the pitch empty and the losses are larger that way. I have not seen the statistics, but if you visit any allegedly full commercial site you will see the same problem.

Empty pitches are generally no shows or very late cancellations although it can be the point that the site may only have unbooked pitches for a single night and people want longer. 

I’m not sure that having to pay a deposit would change anything. If you realise last minute that you can’t attend and are going to lose the deposit, what incentive is there to bother logging into the website to let them know (other than good manners)?  I expect plenary just wouldn’t bother. So there would still be empty pitches. 

Maybe if the deposit as increased so that you got a percentage of it back when cancelling? 

Edited by LeadFarmer

Land Rover Defender 110 300tdi & 2019 Swift Aventura M4SB

Getting a full week on many of the more popular CC sites and dates is a near impossibility and has been so for many years now.   Both before and after the 'rolling year' was introduced.  Weekends are the biggest problem, but sometimes you can get spaces but will need to hop from awning to non-awning to serviced on different nights.  Not something we'd really want to do.

Nothing to do with Covid as far as I can tell.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Don't forget there are many private member only clubs, not just the club sites. If you are not in the appropriate club you can't get in. That really would reduce your choice of sites.

Personally, I don't book until a week or two ahead, often only a day or two, once I can be sure of my movements and the weather. I'm also not that fussy where I go, other than not a ridiculous distance.

I have never booked any site for a 2 week period, I get bored of the area after about a week!

Edited by daveat92

I think next year could be interesting. The sites are full at the moment because of pent up demand and many people not going abroad. The other side of the coin is that there are a lot of people who would normally be away at this time of year who are taking a rain check until there is more certainty about COVID. This suggests that if there is an improvement sites could be equally busy next year. As far as CMC site are concerned you have to use the system. If you have a set amount of time you want to be away book whatever days are available and keep going back to the booking system and you will almost certainly find the other days you want will become available. I do this all the time.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

We have been members of CMC for 20 odd years, but the only time we have stayed at one of their sites in the last 10 years or so has been to attend our caravan owners club AGM, which is held at Fakenham Racecourse (a managed under contract site). 

I remain a member to use the CL network, although I must admit we haven't used many lately, though we are booked to go to one at the end of September/early October.

The last few years we have been attending owners club rallies, always held on good commercial sites, which we find enjoyable.

In August we had a week away at Stowford Farm Meadows, near Ilfracombe, we tend to go here every other year, a well run commercial site, with a bar, restaurant and takeaway  on site. The site was not very busy while we were there.

I have to say, there are many very good commercial sites out there, often cheaper than club sites, and just as good. The internet is a good tool to find them, so don't just stick with the two big clubs.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alan G H said:

I have to say, there are many very good commercial sites out there, often cheaper than club sites, and just as good. The internet is a good tool to find them, so don't just stick with the two big clubs.

+1 to that

• I agree completely 1

Just been to Clumber Park and Tewksbury. Clumber about 10 pitches left and Tewksbury full all week.

We prefer club sites but use others when needed. We have a daughter that lives near Newport though, and apart from the CAMH there is very little if any choice.

I agree with klyne in respect to CMC bookings. My wife and I wanted to go to a certain site for 4 nights. Checked the web site Wednesday and Thursday free booked. Kept looking Friday became free booked  then Saterday. It pays to play the waiting game as it is almost certain that one of the serial bookers will cancel and dates will become free

Sandy

Booked our summer hols next year. Using a voucher for a commercial site in Cornwall we had originally booked for Easter this year.

We'll have a stop off in Broadway on the way down, and a few days at Burnham on the way back. Both CMC sites fully available throughout August.

On 29 August 2020 at 09:32, Steve W77 said:

Having spent hours on the lap top trying to find a club site for 2 weeks in September, I never found a single site that had 14 days clear. I have reached the conclusion that there are just to many people caravaning now.

After 20 years as a member of both club, I really don't see the point in renewing my membership to either club next season.

I jacked them in a few years ago. Appreciate there are benefits attached to the "Friendly Clubs" but on some occasions did not find them that friendly but certainly costly. I also have had a few issues Booking non club sites this year. Some of my favourites being fully Booked all season. Managed to get the Sept weekend but not my best date to be honest but still , got a pitch. They are far too expensive plus the last time I was on a Club Site the facilities maybe clean and well run but poor and tired. They need to up their Game before they get me back.....

GAS ....

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "