Avondale Leda Cambrian

I am trying to find some info on my avondale leda cambrian 4 berth apparently it is 40 odd years old but that's all I know. 

The Leda Cambrian was at one time the Avondale basic 2 berth model. As far as I can see it was built only between 1990 and 1996. It should have a serial number on it, usually on a plate near the door, so that might help if you can find it. A photo also might help if you  have one.

Depending on the year, you are looking at a MIRO of 723 kg to 826 kg and an MTPLM of 900 kg  to 1060 kg.

The internal length should be 3.99 to 4.14 m and the shipping length 5.38 to 5.64 m. The awning size 8.13 to 8.27 m.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Wildwood
  • Like 1

Here are a few screenshots from the Avondale sales brochures 1985 to 1995

Cambrian 1985.jpg

Cambrian 1985

Cambrian 1985 Spec.jpg

Cambrian 1985 Spec

Cambrian 1986.jpg

Cambrian 1986

Cambrian 1987.jpg

Cambrian 1987

Cambrian 1988.jpg

Cambrian 1988

Cambrian 1989.jpg

Cambrian 1989

image.png

Cambrian 1990 Spec

image.png

Cambrian 1991 Spec

image.png

Cambrian 1992 Spec

Cambrian Spec 1993.jpg

Cambrin 1993 Spec

image.png

Cambrian 1994 Spec

image.png

Cambrian 1995 Spec

Below are the body styles used for the Leda range for Cambrian production between 1985 and 1995

Leda 1985.jpg

Leda 1985 - 1987

Leda 1990.jpg

Leda 1988 - 1990

Leda 1991 - 1993.jpg

Leda 1991 - 1993

Leda 1994 and 1995.jpg

Leda 1994 and 1995

Cheviot discontinued for 1996 season - replaced by the Chiltern 2 model

Edited by Gordon
Body style images added

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

• Gordon changed the title to Avondale Leda Cambrian

Thanks a bunch for the info it's the 1985 one with the bunks! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for getting back to us Adam. It's always ice to know that our advice has been useful.

Just as a final check, there may be a metal ID plate inside the caravan, over the entrance door, similar to the one below. The early ones were often grey (not yellow and blue) and while this system had definitely been adopted by 1988, I'm not sure when it started. The earliest models relied upon a chassis number only that was prefixed with the letters, "LE" and  an ID plate was attached to the front a frame. 

Gordon

image.png

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Does anybody know where I can buy a awning for this caravan, I don't want to spend any more then £300? I currently have 1 that my brother in law has given us but its slightly to big and doesn't have the window covers nor ground sheet etc.

If you wish, awnings can be modified to make them either large, by adding an insert of material, or shorter by removing some. Frames can be altered to match if needed.

Viking Awning - Full Size.jpg image.png

This was a full awning on our small caravan that we had modified to become a universal one for our larger outfit.

At £300 you will only get a porch awning if buying new. You might find a full size second hand one if you search the adverts on the web. ground sheets are probably cheap enough to buy any way but if you use grass pitches you will need a breathable one to protect the grass.

I currently have a used bradcot classic thats a tad to big ill look into making it smaller/fit. I've only had it up once while we was on camp so maybe I put it up wrong. Thanks!

I would double check the awning size by running a length of string through the awning rail from the ground at one end to the ground at the other and if it is out by more than 20 cm look at it being reduced. there are several companies advertising in the mgazines who will do this.

wierdly enough it fits perfectly except the windows drop down at the caravan side 

Sorry about the questions but trying to keep on the same page as no point creating/explaining all the same stuff. I live close to doncaster and was wondering if you guys know where I can buy a new battery locker door for the caravan? 

13 hours ago, AdamB93 said:

where I can buy a new battery locker door for the caravan? 

Door and door frame come as an item.   Second-hand ones will be cheaper than new.   Try ebay.

PS.   Check sizes accurately before purchase.

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

On 18/09/2020 at 21:18, AdamB93 said:

Sorry about the questions but trying to keep on the same page as no point creating/explaining all the same stuff. I live close to doncaster and was wondering if you guys know where I can buy a new battery locker door for the caravan? 

Given the age of your Cambrian (1985) you're probably best to look at caravan breakers such as SFM Caravans, or check the list of spares suppliers I've pinned at the head of this section. If you have the simple drop-lid locker front then these should be readily available in various sizes, however if you have the 'all plastic' locker front with the integral mains inlet then they will be a little harder to source.

image.png

Drop front locker lid - bottom hinge - 'side on' battery mount

Link to new box, but search pre-owned units or just locker front for economy

image.png image.png

All plastic locker front - side hinge - 'end on' battery mount

Link

image.png

You may also have  a drop front lid - with cutout for cable entry - 'end on' battery