Moving to Rigid Waste Pipes - Advice Needed

Having just put the van on a seasonal pitch, I want to replace the corrugated waste pipe with a rigid pipe run.

Can anyone advise what size of rigid pipe I would need to allow connection to the caravan waste outlets and any other hints and tips on doing this?

Thanks

Phil

Thanks; then I assume lengths of 28mm plastic pipe from the connection kit to the drain - using connectors to join the kit to the pipe and each section of pipe ?

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/08/2020 at 18:08, PhilC said:

Thanks; then I assume lengths of 28mm plastic pipe from the connection kit to the drain - using connectors to join the kit to the pipe and each section of pipe ?

Phil

I bought 1 length (3 x metres) of each 40mm & 32mm white plastic pipes from Screwfix. Cut each length into 3 equally sized pieces - the 3 narrow ones travel inside the 3 larger ones in a nylon bag. I have a small number of assorted joining pieces of each size (elbow, angled & straight) to cope with the various pitches as we travel around UK & France. A narrow pipes inside a larger one can be lengthened telescopically if needed. Works for me. Regards.

15 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

32mm tool station. Works a treat.

Agreed but beware. In the Toolstation catalogue (so I assume on line) they show 32mm (white) pipe being sold in multi-packs only. However at the store they sell the same pipes in individual lengths.

Also when you get the bits you should very carefully clear out the slot in the outlet where the pipe will go else you will have a job fitting it securely.

Thanks everyone for your advice.   Will have a trip down toolstation and see what I can find 

Phil 

I replaced all of our waste pipe with domestic solvent weld, meaning all of the wastes in the sink, basin and shower were replaced with domestic traps too. One of the best things we have ever done. 

The "internal" pipework is all 32mm then under the van there is a 40 mm run which everything feeds into which exits just behind the rear axle with an inspection cap which when removed allows the fitting of a hosetail onto which 40mm flexible pipe can be fitted and runs to the drain. We use the pond type tube with the metal reinforcement as it is smooth bore inside so self scouring, unlike the caravan stuff which clogs easily and is too thin. 

Click clack basin traps came from ebay for a fiver each, unslotted of course

The solvent weld pipe and fittings from toolstation, about £40

The hosetail I had to source online cost about £7

The flexi pipe again online from a pond supplier, 5m cost £12 plus a couple of quid delivery. 

All in all about £75 and a couple of days effort (I have spinal issues so have to go steady, otherwise it could easily be done in a day).

I did the work as part of other improvements. We decided to replace the horrible old cracked vanity basin with a new ceramic one, which meant some changes to the drain anyway and not only does the water now drain much better but we have also solved the issue of the rear outlets, which on such a long van would be almost on the floor if we had to lift the nose to level the van front to back, making fitting a waste hog if needed next to impossible. 

I'll nip out with the camera in a minute and get some pics. 

firstly sorry these pics are not great, where the van is stored it's a bit difficult to get to some areas.

image.thumb.png.936bb56a80f121508078869d14a8f96e.png

First image shows the output from the  kitchen sink, not much to see as most of the pipework is hidden behind the new wall installed to hold the basket runners, but I did find the 32mm pipe went through the existing drain holes perfectly, nice snug fit. I've been wondering where I left those sissors!

image.thumb.png.9091777d82bb599babd7af6a3015bdf4.png

New pipe work for the bathroom vanity. Offset to one side so that the rear wall remains available for the probable install of an under counter water heater to replace the rubbish truma. Fits behind the cupboard shelf nicely, the spacer takes account of the fact that the rear wall isn't vertical, it is slightly concave. 

image.thumb.png.b21317fab68e0bf9a135ac482325b428.png

Under the van now, and this is the run from the shower using a shallow trap. The spacer here ensures the correct drop for proper flow. This pipe has dropped slightly as when installed it was not resting on the frame rail as it is now, so will get another clip next to the rail to hold it clear and  ensure there is no rubbing. The shower trap is also going to get a shroud of some kind to protect it from any debris which might get kicked up. I should have thought of that originally. 

Edited by PMW

DSC_0209.JPG

This is looking the other way, so the shower pipe now inboard of the chassis rail joins the pipe from the rear vanity via a swept tee, then around the elbow. The pipe coming in from the left is from the kitchen sink. They meet into a 40mm tee with reducing plugs inserted. then on the far side a 40mm pipe runs to the outfall. 

outfall.jpg

This is the 40mm outfall, an inspection port welded into a 45 degree elbow. The inspection cap unscrews leaving a perfect thread .....

image.thumb.png.590d0e596b486f7c591c8afd7ec90e81.png

For this hose tail. The waste hog sits nicely right under this, or if on a serviced pitch the 40mm hose just pushes on. 

Edited by PMW

On 18/09/2020 at 09:26, PMW said:

Click clack basin traps came from ebay for a fiver each, unslotted of course

We decided to replace the horrible old cracked vanity basin with a new ceramic one,

I am more guilty than most for adding stuff and hence weight to our van, but domestic chromed brass wastes and ceramic basins can be pretty weighty items. I guess you chose a counter top basin with very thin walls to minimise this?

+1 for using Toolstation rigid pipework (though I used push fit to allow for demounting in case maintenance needs).

+1 for pond type waste hose with the reinforcing on the outside and smooth bore.

6 hours ago, Ukzero said:

I guess you chose a counter top basin with very thin walls to minimise this?

nope, but that's the bonus of having a 400kg + payload. Once all the work is complete, and I only have some minor trim work to do inside, though outside she's getting a full repaint, plus a cowl over the shower trap she'll go off to our local haulier where I happen to know the lad on the weighbridge and we'll get a new weight for her complete with everything we don't systematically remove, such as awning, mover of course, pots and pans etc and get a new reading for her. I'm estimating from a MIRO of 1286 given what we have done and added we'll be around 1450kg. That would still allow a generous 250kg