Houghton Mill Campsite Cambridgeshire.

Hi, Going to the above site in a couple of weeks , just noticed that they warn of a very tight narrow entrance , have googled it and it does look  a very tight left hand turn  into the site , the narrow approach road  also compounds the problem in not allowing much room to pull over to the right to gain the  correct angle for the entrance , tried to see what caravans were on site but couldn't see any  outfits similar to mine which is Van  7.35 Metres   + Car 4.6 Metres , Iam sure this doable  but would like to hear of personal experiences  .

Thank you .

Stayed there some years ago.

Our van was about the same size as yours which I towed with a Frontera 4 x 4 Special Edition V6.  Caravan was a Compass Magnum Classic 540.

Yes, the approach was quite tight as I recall but nothing serious.  We went back the next year, nice site as I remember!

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

Its been some years since I've been too.  But sadly, we were pulling a folding camper, and not the large ones either.  We just swung in.  Its such a lovely site.  Its actually at the bottom of the village car park, and bang opposite the church.  When we were there, they did bell ringing practice on the Tuesday evening.  It was amazing.  We had a small inflatable boat with an outboard motor, so we can put it straight into the River Ouse.  We also brought our bikes, and rode all over the place, much better than driving.  Went to St Ives (there's a bike ride/wide footpath from the village), Godmanchester, and other places to visit.  We visited the village just a few years later, and noticed there were caravans on the site

Similarly, no problem getting in or out with a Valencia.  

That was back when it was a Caravan Club site and the main things still in my mind was arriving and pitching in the heaviest rain ever and with no allocated pitches, if you didn’t pick one first time round it was difficult to turn back in after doing the full circuit.  

Pleasant site though.  

Took our previous Beccaneer Schooner twin axle in with a Discovery 3 a few years back, yes it was tight but doable with care and a long outfit.

I took the turn in off Mill St as wide and late as I could without clipping the gates opposite

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

23 hours ago, Griff said:

Took our previous Beccaneer Schooner twin axle in with a Discovery 3 a few years back, yes it was tight but doable with care and a long outfit.

I took the turn in off Mill St as wide and late as I could without clipping the gates opposite

Thanks for your replies very helpful and reassuring, looking forward to going fingers crossed for good weather.

Just as an aside, the last time I was there, there is a public footpath runs alongside the site with no fence. I lost a good bike to some lowlife with bolt cutters. My bike with my wifes bike on top of it was chained to the 'A' frame, in the morning her bike was laying on the ground, mine was missing, the chain cut.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked at the place on Google Earth.  Its changed radically since I was last there.  By the way, I've noticed that whenever I look at caravan sites on it, you never, ever see caravans in the middle of swinging in:D

On 28/08/2020 at 15:57, lazydaze said:

Hi, Going to the above site in a couple of weeks , just noticed that they warn of a very tight narrow entrance , have googled it and it does look  a very tight left hand turn  into the site , the narrow approach road  also compounds the problem in not allowing much room to pull over to the right to gain the  correct angle for the entrance , tried to see what caravans were on site but couldn't see any  outfits similar to mine which is Van  7.35 Metres   + Car 4.6 Metres , Iam sure this doable  but would like to hear of personal experiences  .

Thank you .

Hi , Just returned from Houghton Mill  managed to negotiate the sharp left hand turn into the site without damage due to very helpful wardens at the entrance to assist , when leaving I almost cocked it up  the rear offside window of the van being cleaned by the fir tree/bush, fortunately i didn't clip the fence but it was to close for comfort .

We had five very enjoyable nights  will defiantly  be going back, lovely countryside nice pubs and boating on the river next to the site .