HELP ADVICE - it's a minefield!

Hi everyone

We haven't bought a caravan yet but are reasonably sure we are going to get one. Ideally we want an Aruba Buccaneer as the layout but with a fixed bunk bed at the back. I can't get a Buccanner with this layout. Because it will be kids in the bunks I would also like it to be adequately partioned from the rest of the caravan in an evening. So, my questions is this...

Is there a caravan with bunks at the back, 6 berth, that has a solid(ish) door that seprates the bunks from the rest of the caravan and has a look and feel along the lines of a Buccaneer?

We really like the Hobby Prestige 720KWFU but it's too big to tow with a Discovery.

Thoughts, ideas, advice all greatly received.

Thanks in advance

Lee

Take a look at the Swift Elegance Grande 655.

I had a look at one a few weeks back, and they are very nice. 6 berth, fixed bunks at the rear and a fold-down double bed which we thought was superb. 2 more berths by making up the front lounge area.

L-shaped lounge, lovely finish, rear washroom, also very spacious and well appointed.

Only issue, like many, the door separating the bunks is concertina and you would have to pass through the bunk area if you wanted a pee-pee in the night.

• Like 1

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

Have a look HERE and then LAYOUTS. It might help in your search to meet your requirements. Also have a look at SPECIFICATIONS which might help.

Its always requires lots of research to find the caravan to meet your needs although you will have to compromise.

• Like 2

BAILEY RANGER GT60 540/6 (6  Berth) but will be about 10 years old now. We have had ours since new (2011), our first caravan. It has a self contained back section for kids (we have one child), with a solid door, table, television, seats and 3 bunks  so the adults can stay up later without disturbing the children....and is a light tow 1500kg?We are looking at selling ours next year....

image.png.e03e36f7abc792ca8ab03572146ada59.png

Edited by gtepete
  • Like 1
On 27/08/2020 at 13:50, LK1 said:

Is there a caravan with bunks at the back, 6 berth, that has a solid(ish) door that seprates the bunks from the rest of the caravan and has a look and feel along the lines of a Buccaneer?

Hi Lee,

Whatever make you look at, consider a layout with a toilet compartment 'midships' opposite a shower cubicle, as that can effectively separate the rear sleeping compartment from the front dinette / bedroom. The downside is that the front bed(s) will need to be made up each night.

Gordon 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

Hi Lee,

Whatever make you look at, consider a layout with a toilet compartment 'midships' opposite a shower cubicle, as that can effectively separate the rear sleeping compartment from the front dinette / bedroom. The downside is that the front bed(s) will need to be made up each night.

Gordon 

Good advice.....

• Like 1

Obviously we're going to suggest our own vans! Have a look at the Adria Altea Severn and Tamar. 2015 onwards preferably. 

We have the Tamar with bunks and toilet with separate shower at the back. The Severn has bunks and seating area at the back. But this has a smaller toilet in the middle. Both have a concertina 'door' that closes off the bunks. 

• Like 1

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

The Aruba is the only 6 berth currently available in the luxury end of the market according to the layout advice in Practical Caravan,  you might find a few second hand ones from other makers if you look around.

There does not seem to be a lot of  demand for these caravans as only Elddis have persisted with them. To get your layout I am afraid that a bit of searching may be needed in the second hand market.

You can also get a six berth Hobby 560 but on in their upper range models. The other models with larger model numbers are simply too long for a car to tow them legally, and they do seem to have a have a higher theft rate, which means some insurers will not accept them although most will.

6 berths are generally in the makers lower ranges, presumably aimed at families with a lower budget. What you get for the door usually depends on the market position so curtains and folding doors are normally the ones fitted.

The Swift Elegance mentioned is no longer available new as is the 6 berth Laser, Coachman used to make, but you might find second hand examples. 

• Like 1

Is the Buccaneer Galera 6 berth with bunks at the rear, a large center dinette and large front benches. 

Not available new, but am sure there will be plenty of nearly new ones.

The Avante 866 is the same layout but again now discontinued. The Avante 868 is a french bed/twin bunks version which is new and would suit.

The Avante range has blown air heating rather than the Alde, but are alot of van for the money. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone I’m going to go through these tonight and check out all the suggestions!