7 minutes ago, Lutz said:

There is absolutely no need for a rivet at that location. The plastic step could have been designed with a retention hook under the tube to ensure that it is always positively located to the tube, thereby eliminating the need for a rivet hole altogether. Eliminating the rivet and the riveting operation would make it marginally cheaper, too.

The rivet and there are others are to fix the aluminium top step to the frame components, the plastic upper surface is simply a piece of plastic with extrusions that fit in holes in the ally step to locate it.

The problem is the length of the side tubes where the only support for downward forces are the back and front legs, the small rod is of little use, they come loose or in many instances wear through the lower tube allowing excess flexing.

The correct solution would be to have two legs to support the top step front edge at the area where it fractured to prevent flexing.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

It's rubber, it fixes onto the tread plate by little cone shaped barbs that fit through holes in the top.

Dave

4 minutes ago, Lutz said:

The black bit with the 'MILENCO' logo, resting on top of the alumunium plate in the lower photograph (or is it rubber?).

If its the same basic step as mine the black piece is a cover. On mine there is no cover, simply non slip cheqhuer lines. 

Ern

2 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

You'll now be worrying about it everytime you step out of your caravan :D

Being a lightweight 80kg I don’t think so!

Edited by Tuningdrew
  • Haha 1
20 hours ago, macafee2 said:

I've been using one of the "Towsure" steps mentioned by Mac for the past four years.   It gets daily use throughout the winters in Spain and appears to be wearing well.   It's actually made by Pyramid.

IMG_20200828_111004.jpg.ac6004434d00c11ce8a7203c8c0c7c5d.jpg

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

3 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

I've been using one of the "Towsure" steps mentioned by Mac for the past four years.   It gets daily use throughout the winters in Spain and appears to be wearing well.   It's actually made by Pyramid.

IMG_20200828_111004.jpg.ac6004434d00c11ce8a7203c8c0c7c5d.jpg

Whoever sat at the drawing board for that one obviously worked out the correct way to support the loads on the step front edges.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Silversurf said:

The rivet and there are others are to fix the aluminium top step to the frame components, the plastic upper surface is simply a piece of plastic with extrusions that fit in holes in the ally step to locate it.

One would only need to modify the top aluminium treadplate slightly to wrap around the tube to be able to do without the rivet at that one location.

• I agree completely 1

We wanted a new step before this thread was started and nearly purchased the aluminium Milenco. Thanks to CT forum search function I found an earlier report of this step failing so I switched to the Milenco plastic step and we are very impressed with it. Dog loves it also.

• 2 weeks later...

The guy who reported the failure was 19 stone. 

Ern

On 28/08/2020 at 09:47, Ukzero said:

Our Milenco double steps were bought when we started caravanning in 1997 (label still on the bottom and cost £14.99).

23 years on and still going strong - despite much use and abuse.

Lightweight, good height and doesn't sink in. Will check for cracks, so good to be aware.

May be they don't make them like they used to.

We have a double step  with legs rather than the bar across and it can sink into wet grass so care is needed. I had been wondering about the Milenco but not now unless they can give a sensible answer. If it is only two years old it is clearly faulty and you could ask the seller for your money back . Possibly the cost is not high enough for a dispute though.

14 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

But the step is rated to 31 stone

But 19 stone dropping onto the step will subject the step to a much heavier load briefly. I think if I carried that much weight I’d look twice at anything that I needed to rely on from a safety aspect.  I worked with a guy who was well  over 20 stone. Apart from physically being unable to do a lot of things like getting in and out of smaller cars or wear seat belts everything in his house was ‘beefed up’ in his words because stuff ‘just breaks’

we have had a few different steps over the years. One old metal  set we are still using in the garage and for DIY joba around the house, but they have feet and are no good on grass. We have also had the  one that millerhouse12 had  until the rear upright went right through the metal. We now have the milenco  MGI double step which seems much more sturdier than the other ones we've had.

2 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

But 19 stone dropping onto the step will subject the step to a much heavier load briefly. I think if I carried that much weight I’d look twice at anything that I needed to rely on from a safety aspect.  I worked with a guy who was well  over 20 stone. Apart from physically being unable to do a lot of things like getting in and out of smaller cars or wear seat belts everything in his house was ‘beefed up’ in his words because stuff ‘just breaks’

I expect they will have already factored that calculation into the math when stipulating the maximum weight a user can be.

I'm 6' 3" and over 20 stone but I don't suffer those problems that you ex work pal does. I guess its all about body shape and if the excessive weight is around the belly, which I guess would then restrict his movement and flexibility?

Edited by Guest
18 hours ago, Pickled Onion said:

I decided to modify mine, I purchased a 300mm length of aluminium tube and 4 nylon C-clips.

1536493416_Modifiedstep1a.thumb.jpg.37a95bec3fb12e55fef8b6805ad65a22.jpg

A bit of a typo there guys, should have been a 600mm length of tube, (each side is nearly 300mm) A cheap, easy-to-do mod, to an otherewise great set of steps.

Thanks for that LeadFarmer.

Dave

On 19/09/2020 at 15:35, Pickled Onion said:

I decided to modify mine, I purchased a 300mm length of aluminium tube and 4 nylon C-clips.

1536493416_Modifiedstep1a.thumb.jpg.37a95bec3fb12e55fef8b6805ad65a22.jpg

As OP, I think this is how it should have been made originally.

BTW, I have had no response from Milenco. Seems like they don't care about issue.

• Sad 1