How to freshen up the inside of my caravan

Hello,

I bought an older caravan and want to freshen it up a bit.

I would like to remove the top layer of some areas on the cupboards that are peeling before painting it.

Has anybody got any tips on how to do that?

Well, if you are determined to remove what I presume to be a fablon type of plastic material I would use the heat from a hair dryer to soften the adhesive and peel the sheet off the shelf gently as it warms up. 

Alternatively you could heat the plastic and stick it down again and then paint. Just a matter of experimental to see what method works for you.

You could also remove the plastic sheet and then recover with fresh Fablon which makes it look brand new. Painting never has the same feel or look IMO.

Be very careful!

Many cupboard doors are a composite of a very thin veneer of plastic with a honeycomb paper core with thin wooden strips round the edges. That peeling layer could be the structure of the door!

Spray rather than brush painting, it provides a much better finish. You can buy some interesting pastel colours for spraying. Use grey car primer first and then top coat,  cans of this primer can be bought for £1 in poundland.

On 27/08/2020 at 05:55, DearMouse said:

Hello,

I bought an older caravan and want to freshen it up a bit.

I would like to remove the top layer of some areas on the cupboards that are peeling before painting it.

Has anybody got any tips on how to do that?

have a look at the thread I made about dc-fix to cover rather than remove the top layer. Plenty of pictures of what it looks like now

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/141860-dc-fix/