Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Good morning

 

The decision has been made to change our current Jeep Grand Cherokee to something a little more frugal.

 

We've got a list of possibles, which I'm fairly content that I know enough about apart from one. That being the Mazda CX-7.

I was wondering if anyone has had one, and what you thought of it.  Our caravan is a Sprite Quattro, with a maximum weight of 1600kgs.

 

Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, craigderby said:

Good morning

 

The decision has been made to change our current Jeep Grand Cherokee to something a little more frugal.

 

We've got a list of possibles, which I'm fairly content that I know enough about apart from one. That being the Mazda CX-7.

I was wondering if anyone has had one, and what you thought of it.  Our caravan is a Sprite Quattro, with a maximum weight of 1600kgs.

 

Thanks in advance

 

The CX7 was discontinued in  2012, replaced by the CX5, not many of them about these days.

Link to post
Share on other sites

While I know nothing about the CX7 the CX5 was quite light for it's size.  It all depends what you want from a car when not towing but at 1600kgs MTPLM there are lots of reasonably economical choices available.  We tow our Sprite Quattro with a Volvo V90, one of those would be around an 85% match for yours, they also do an AWD version if needed.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to post
Share on other sites

V90s are lovely, but unfortunately more than we're spending.

It won't be our main car it'll be towing once a month and then any local running round my wife needs to do.

Current list of possibles is, in no order

Sorento

Santa Fe

Freelander 2

CX-7

E Class estate

5 Series estate

Vivaro crew bus

Vito Dualiner

 

Other ones I've thought about, but wouldn't really be any more economical 

X5

XC-90

Range Rover Sport

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My previous tow car for my Quattro EB was a 2016 BMW520D (saloon) which was a 92% weight match and it towed very well.  The only slight downside was the rear suspension was a bit soft but spring assistors would help.  Fuel economy driving solo was low 50's, towing around 29mpg.  It was a nice car but developed a few annoying rattles and had EGR issues in my ownership.  Models built after late 2016 were a lot lighter and not a particularly good weight match.

 

I looked at the E-Class models but they were a lot of money when nearly new, however, low mileage older bargains can be found but I read they also suffer with soft rear suspension.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd read a couple of bits about them being softly sprung on the rear, which is a little off putting.  Although I've got a lovely looking E320 on my radar at the moment.  I might be able to forgive the suspension in return for the performance! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe a member called Rinty owned a cx-5 diesel which expired at around 30K with engine failure,  a common problem was the oil strainer in the sump getting blocked up leading to oil starvation, the injector seals were prone to failing.

 

I would avoid any Mazda diesel myself unless it comes with a manufactory warranty, even them time spent of the road due to engine repairs is still a pain. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What about the mk5 mondeo estate? There are also 4wd versions available

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dave87 said:

What about the mk5 mondeo estate? There are also 4wd versions available

 

I'd discounted them as possibly not being heavy enough for the caravan.

We have the dog in the boot, so the awning and caravan stuff can't go in the boot to move some of the weight across.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, craigderby said:

 

I'd discounted them as possibly not being heavy enough for the caravan.

We have the dog in the boot, so the awning and caravan stuff can't go in the boot to move some of the weight across.

 

Ah fair enough. I know the none 4wd version like mine is just under 1600kg with a tow limit of 1650kg. I think the 4wd drive versions are a shade over 1700kg so yeah probably a little lightweight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xtrailman said:

I believe a member called Rinty owned a cx-5 diesel which expired at around 30K with engine failure,  a common problem was the oil strainer in the sump getting blocked up leading to oil starvation, the injector seals were prone to failing.

 

I would avoid any Mazda diesel myself unless it comes with a manufactory warranty, even them time spent of the road due to engine repairs is still a pain. 

 

Sorry meant to say he had a CX-7.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The CX7 seems to be one of those cars that time forgot. Next size up to the CX5. Looking at Honest John it weighs about 1780kg and has a towing limit of 1800kg.Think the engine is the Ford /PSA 2.2 diesel, similar to Freelander and 4007/C Crosser etc. Before Mazda did their own 2.2 engines. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would personally favour a Sorento/Santa Fe/XC60 solution myself if you wanted an SUV style. I prefer estates, but heavy ones are becoming rarer all the time. I use a 520D which is faultless but rarely does better than 25mpg with my Cadiz in tow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Miggs said:

I would personally favour a Sorento/Santa Fe/XC60 solution myself if you wanted an SUV style. I prefer estates, but heavy ones are becoming rarer all the time. I use a 520D which is faultless but rarely does better than 25mpg with my Cadiz in tow.

 

Mine used to return high 20's towing, it was a great tow car and firmer rear suspension than my Volvo.

 

bmw520.jpg

  • Like 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have had a BMW 520d gt a few years back and it towed a treat. Even towed our caravan back to the UK from the south of France after the ATC failed with no problem. It had rear air suspension and a long wheel base.

D3D43BAB-C242-4FBA-A60B-60CFC9B4BB4C.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What about choosing an E Class estate in Sport guise? Suspension will be slightly firmer to aid stability while towing but being a Merc should still ride very well. 

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info everyone.  It looks like the CX-7 is a bit of unknown quantity, so I'll cross that one off the list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I run a Mazda 6 estate (sport Nav high output engine) as a towcar (this is the third!) 

Towing limit of 1600kg Does the job very well and is a very pleasant drive when not towing. Averages around 46mpg  and on a long run, if careful, I get an average of high 50’s drops to high 20’s when towing 1500kg caravan

Worth a look if you can find one! Mines an auto, wouldn’t have anything else for towing. 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I run a Mazda 6 estate (sport Nav high output engine) as a towcar (this is the third!) 

Towing limit of 1600kg Does the job very well and is a very pleasant drive when not towing. Averages around 46mpg  and on a long run, if careful, I get an average of high 50’s drops to high 20’s when towing 1500kg caravan

Worth a look if you can find one! Mines an auto, wouldn’t have anything else for towing. 

He's already dismissed the Mondeo, which is either a similar weight to the 6 or heavier.

 

However, if the driver has plenty of towing experience I would have thought these cars would be up to the job with a relatively lightweight twin axle van. I've seen an Octavia like mine pulling a smaller TA van! 

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

Link to post
Share on other sites

The main issue I'm seeing with a lot of cars is the noseweight limit.  On the Jeep I tend to try and have it around 95kgs, when I lowered it down to 80 as an experiment it definitely didn't feel as good.

 

Things are up in the air at the moment as we're having a disagreement over what to get.  My wife drove my Dad's Range Rover Sport yesterday and says she wants one.  I'm already have cold sweats at the thought of maintaining it!  I'm trying to remind her we're only parting with the Jeep to get something  a little more economical, but so far it's falling on deaf ears :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, craigderby said:

I'm trying to remind her we're only parting with the Jeep to get something  a little more economical, but so far it's falling on deaf ears :(


If that’s the only reason, why not keep it?

 

Look at how much you’ll spend changing cars, versus what the potential savings are on a low annual mileage car. If it’s gonna save you, say £500 a year versus several thousand quid to change....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...