Cleaning fly screens query

Apologies if this is the wrong sub forum but hopefully someone can give me some advice. I’m using my caravan as an office whilst working from home and so on warm days am opening the skylight and sunroof but pulling the fly screens over. They’re starting to develop a collection of seeds (dandelion type) and a few dead flies. Given when I close them they concertina back out of view, how do I clean them without borrowing a big ladder to be able to reach them from outside the van? Sorry if this is a daft question!

Good question, I use my old Subbuteo skills, and flick most of them up and back out of the the skylights :D. Gets a lot out or flick them nearer the opening edge of the fly screen to vacuum from below

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

We suffer from at lot of dust in the very dry Portuguese climate and fly swots, by far the best way I have found is magic sponges from the supermarket.

• Thanks 1

It is a problem. My last van had a hinged fly screen that could drop down for cleaning, but these concertina type make cleaning difficult. I have a U Bend attachment for my hand held Dyson, haven't tried it yet but I ought to soon.

U.jpg.eb0d894d113094f2493de0d5bf7bb1d7.jpg

Glad I wasn’t just being stupid and there was an obvious answer! Thanks all 🙂

No worries.

There is no such thing as a stupid question on CT.

The only daft thing is not asking it in the first place  ;)

• Like 1

Come on-it's light and reasonably effective and they come as standard-they don't on my house! Amazes me how much caravans pack in to such a small light thing!

17 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

It's a stupid and ill thought out design.

Maybe so - but the concertina design works well in a vertical orientation, as would be used across an entrance door for example. So it's not the design principle that is ill thought out - but the caravan designers choice to use it in a horizontal skylight where access from the upper side is restricted.

Skylight flyscreen.jpg

The old design that clipped in place and used a simple hinged frame, worked much better on a skylight in my opinion.

• I agree completely 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

The shower has that structure but the living area skylight and sunroof doesn’t. It would work on both but perhaps not look so nice on the sunroof which is slightly curved.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have an airline blow them back the same way that they got in..

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)