Fitting additional sockets

My Swift Aventura (Sprite Major 4SB) has only got one plug socket on the lounge binnacle which I find annoying. I end up plugging in a 4 way extension lead to gain more plug sockets.

So I ordered some additional Berker sockets from Sargent. I've just nipped to the caravan and removed the binnacle to bring home so I can wire in the new sockets. Hopefully I will be refitting the binnacle with four sockets back into the van tomorrow...

ef329fff-2bc8-4587-a379-7390911fcb92.thumb.jpg.64a6da42f37419645eb9934c7743fc3e.jpg

0ca2d8e7-dfb3-4d54-b2fc-a6809199ac4c.thumb.jpg.ba54c544917637b42c4d3bfe520eee56.jpg

43 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

My Swift Aventura (Sprite Major 4SB) has only got one plug socket on the lounge binnacle which I find annoying. I end up plugging in a 4 way extension lead to gain more plug sockets.

So I ordered some additional Berker sockets from Sargent. I've just nipped to the caravan and removed the binnacle to bring home so I can wire in the new sockets. Hopefully I will be refitting the binnacle with four sockets back into the van tomorrow...

ef329fff-2bc8-4587-a379-7390911fcb92.thumb.jpg.64a6da42f37419645eb9934c7743fc3e.jpg

Done similar to my Sprite Major 4 EB.

The front binnacle is fully populated with a mix of 230V, 12V and USB.

24 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Done similar to my Sprite Major 4 EB.

The front binnacle is fully populated with a mix of 230V, 12V and USB.

I will be left with one blank, maybe I ought to fit a 12v there. How did you wire yours? Can I run the wires off the existing USB socket?

Edited by Guest

20 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

I will be left with one blank, maybe I ought to fit a 12v there. How did you wire yours? Can I run the wires off the existing USB socket?

I ran some wires back to the 12v fuses. After studying the wiring diagram I found a spare fuse, complete with pins on the back (presumably for the Swift Challenger versions) for exactly this purpose. I already had the bits in my box to make the necessary connections.

I've fitted the sockets into the binnacle and wired them up. Its quite tight behind the sockets as the back boxes are quite small. not much room in there. In hindsight perhaps I should have paid the extra and bought the sockets that come pre wired. I'll see how good a job I've done when I take it to the caravan  and connect to the mains.

IMG_1363.thumb.jpeg.fc8e6dc3223d2185157259520e0c1e31.jpeg

Edited by Guest

The pre wired type are really easy to fit.  Sargeant even fit longer cables if you ask

5 minutes ago, hstephen5 said:

The pre wired type are really easy to fit.  Sargeant even fit longer cables if you ask

That's worth knowing, thanks.

In my last photo, assuming one of the two white cables is the supply cable, which one is it please? Is it the male cable?

Edited by Guest

When you say supply cable what do you mean? 

The polarity is the main issue with pre-wired cables and connectors.  I checked mine with a multimeter before fitting to double check they where wired correctly.  Checking for earths etc can also be done at the same time.

Edited by hstephen5

9 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

i assumed that one cable would be supplying power to that socket, and the other perhaps then going from the socket  to other sockets in the van?

Without seeing your setup I can't say for sure but normally they are both terminated together in the socket so it doesn't matter providing the polarity of the pins are correct on the both connectors.  They would need to match the polarity of the connectors they are being plugged into.

Edited by hstephen5

On 25/08/2020 at 15:30, LeadFarmer said:

I've fitted the sockets into the binnacle and wired them up. Its quite tight behind the sockets as the back boxes are quite small. not much room in there. In hindsight perhaps I should have paid the extra and bought the sockets that come pre wired. I'll see how good a job I've done when I take it to the caravan  and connect to the mains.

How is the binnacle held in place and how easy is it to remove?

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

On 25/08/2020 at 15:30, LeadFarmer said:

A photo of the back of the binnacle would help to provide some answers, just looking at the front with two wires disappearing into the back and connected to ......................................?

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

On 26/08/2020 at 21:24, hstephen5 said:

£23 pre wired with about 1ft of wire, not sure about longer wire though.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

On 27/08/2020 at 08:27, Griff said:

How is the binnacle held in place and how easy is it to remove?

It's just held on with screws located around the edge of the binnacle.

IMG_1344.thumb.jpeg.da658b29d0ba844cc41aa1cf8e54584f.jpeg

23 hours ago, Silversurf said:

A photo of the back of the binnacle would help to provide some answers, just looking at the front with two wires disappearing into the back and connected to ......................................?

I didn't take a photo of the back I'm afraid. But I just ran a cable I already had from the first socket to the next, then a cable from that one to the next one etc.

I can't envisage a situation when I would have all four sockets in use at the same time, but I wanted to fit them as I didn't like looking at the blanks.

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Just fitted two in ours in the bedroom side-tables, we don't have to fight for them now to charge phones/Kindles!

socket1.jpg

socket2.jpg

Good idea to put them into worktops when you have a rear bed.  Looks good Gary.

12 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Great idea Gary, looks like a factory fit :)

Which cables did you connect to?

The feed for the other sockets runs behind the bed, fortunately cutting this at the mid point left enough to come up to each socket just leaving a new piece to run from one to the other.  I bought a real of 20amp rated flexible cable a few years back to add extra sockets to a previous caravan and I’ve still got plenty left!

Afterwards I removed & checked the other sockets, all were okay but a previous caravan (Elddis) wasn’t so good with over-stripped insulation. Working in the supply industry developing cable connectors and accessories has left me a bit paranoid over poor connections!

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Binnacle refitted with additional sockets..

B.thumb.jpg.833249c8289b38d44045104f0c1bdae8.jpg

Looks good LF, was there enough standard length cable on the sockets to daisy chain the male and female plugs together?

Not removed my binnacle yet but I am going for one each of the 3 pin and twin SUB sockets.

Sargent advise wiring the USB directly back to a spare fuse location on the EC600.

A caravan accessories dealer can get anything from PLS and here is a prewired socket cable. Just cut it in half and then you can unplug the connector to an existing socket and put this new cable in Between. Then just wire the cut bare ends into a new socket. But make sure to get it checked by a qualified electrician afterwards. 

https://plsgroup.co.uk/shop/prewired-extension-lead-3-metre/

Edited by halifaxdan

On 11/09/2020 at 08:56, Griff said:

Looks good LF, was there enough standard length cable on the sockets to daisy chain the male and female plugs together?

Not removed my binnacle yet but I am going for one each of the 3 pin and twin SUB sockets.

Sargent advise wiring the USB directly back to a spare fuse location on the EC600.

I bought just the sockets only, not pre wired. I than got some flexi cable and piggy backed from the original socket to the the new one Id positioned next to it, an then to the next one etc. I bought some 2.5mm flexi cable to do the joint together, but found that was thicker and less flexible than the original cable, so if doing it again I would get maybe 1.5mm cable.

I also had to drill out a larger hole in the back plate of each socket to feed the cables through, both the cable going into the socket, and the cable coming out to the next one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/08/2020 at 08:55, Silversurf said:

Just finished mine, view from the back.

20201009_003545.thumb.png.47610303dd44fe80cfd3275584b7f919.png

• Guest changed the title to Fitting additional sockets