Towing across France-avoid Paris?

We are driving across France to make our way to Germany on Saturday and ‘Via Michelin’ recommends a route taking in Paris-I have never fancied the thought of towing around Paris but the other route is almost double the price in tolls.

Has anyone any experience of the Paris ringroad on a Saturday in these CV19 times? Or should we just accept the higher costs for a better trip 🤔

We wouldnt dream of going to germany that way. Paris? Tell us where you are crossing the channel and where your first stop in Germany is.

Yes I have! 

Its not nicknamed the HORRORphique for nothing. I did it once when towing and will NEVER do it again (unless it’s at about 03:00.) 

Avoid it like the plague, it really is an awful experience and makes the M25 seem wonderful. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

22 minutes ago, Ern said:

We wouldnt dream of going to germany that way. Paris? Tell us where you are crossing the channel and where your first stop in Germany is.

We are travelling from Cherbourg to Saarburg, close to the border with France and Luxembourg, it’s basically the closest campsite we can get!

Why don't you leave the A13 at Rouen and take the N31 via Beauvais and Compiègne, to rejoin the A4 in Reims?

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

Why don't you leave the A13 at Rouen and take the N31 via Beauvais and Compiègne, to rejoin the A4 in Reims?

Or you could go north of this via Amiens, St Quentin, Laon which is more Autoroute so may be quicker, but costlier.

Back in 2013 we traveled from Roscoff to Berny Rivierre, towing, in a new car that , unknown to me had the sat nav set to 'dynamic planning'.

As my hold ups, outside of the summer silly season, consist of the odd cow or sheep, this feature had never revealed itself.

Having looked at the route I knew one of the places we would pass on the Peripherique was the Port d'Italie so when the sat nav said to turn left I did and found myself heading into the city with a sat nav, as I later discovered, that was constantly trying to re route us due to traffic issues.

We turned right when  we crossed the Seine and eventually escaped.

Its the reason why I have ensure that the 'dynamic planning' is turned off, in the two cars that have followed, before driving anywhere and its also one of those memories that bring a smile and a cold sweat in equal measure!

Edited by Allan Guest

The périphérique was once quite an interesting way to cross Paris.  We used it without fuss a few times BUT many years ago. 

Recently we were stupid enough to pass close to Paris - not as far in as the périphérique - and will never do so again.

Frankly the congestion is horrendous.  

Bit late now but I'd prefer to sail from Dover and travel in the UK.  Join the motorways in Belgium and have a free journey. 

7795703029_le-peripherique-parisien-illustration.jpg

Edited by Squash
Added images

3 hours ago, Lutz said:

We are stuck for time, due to the ever changing CV19 restrictions, meaning we need to transit through France in one day 😬 so need the quickest route. It looks like the Autoroutes via Amiens, St. Quentin all the way to Reims, then on towards Metz is the quickest but costliest route! 

I think we’ll avoid ‘gay Paris’!

Thanks for the tips, it’s all a bit last minute, we were supposed to go to France, we had to bin that, then at the last minute decided we could go to Germany -big big day  of driving tomorrow 🙈

Hi Rikster, I see your info mentions NI. Is that were you are travelling from as that would be 'a big day of driving'!

On a serious note may be worth checking your crossing has not been affected by the gales that have struck overnight.

Edited by Allan Guest

Good luck Rikster and family. Stay safe.

Reading this reminds me of a trip we had several years ago. Probably about 2013. We were travelling down to Paris from Calais and heading for a site called Des 4 Vents. Lovely site been there a few times.  We had my Sister in law and Brother in law behind us with their van in covoy. They had never been before so were leaving it to the 'experts' to lead the way.

Anyway at Charles De Gaulle airport you have to take an exit off the motorway and head off to the site. We took the exit just before or after, can't remember which and it took us right into the airport road network. 

The trip around the airport roads was completely one way and it seemed like we travelled miles before coming out the other end. Had quite a few strange looks as you can imagine as it's not ofter you see two cars towing caravans travelling in convoy around the airport!

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2020 at 23:04, Rikster said:

We are travelling from Cherbourg to Saarburg, close to the border with France and Luxembourg, it’s basically the closest campsite we can get!

Sounds like you did the same as us, we ended up at siersbourg, nice area which we could have stayed a a bit longer 

We ended op on the Paris ring road last year as we listened to google

we couldn’t get off the slipway as they kept pushing there way  in front of us

never again I’d rather drive further out the way to avoid it in the future