Where to put the spare wheel carrier?

Well if it is an Alko they are rubbish when it comes to be needed when out on the road, I took mine off on two caravans ad carry spare on floor.

Present caravan doesn't have one they place it inside a seat locker, which takes up precious space so again it travels on the floor.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Again, if it is the Alko one, mine makes a cracking shelf in my shed!

On a trial run I discovered that in order to remove the spare from the carrier I had to jack up the nearside of the van and even then it was a struggle.

I envisaged being in the middle of nowhere, pouring with rain and you suffered a puncture on the offside of the van.......it took me a nano second to decide the spare wheel was going to be stored under the bed (Lunar Clubman si)!

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

The first thing I did when I got my van was put the carrier in the shed and the spare wheel under the bed.  

• I agree completely 1

I dont understand why the caravan designers havent had the sense to design a recess into the mouldings which are on the back wall of caravans. Swift has done it with bike rack mountings so there is no reason not to. My 1974 Sprite Musketeer looked a treat with the spare mounted on the back. The L frame I welded up was bolted as a cantilever onto the chassis under the rear of the caravan. It probably weighed a bit less than the Alko abortion. Progress? Rubbish! 

Edited by Ern

Ern

Simple answer? 

Weight and the strain it would put on the rear wall. A spare wheel ain’t a lightweight item! 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

7 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Simple answer? 

Weight and the strain it would put on the wall. A spare wheel ain’t a lightweight item! 

The weight of a spare wheel is less than a pair of bikes. The load centre from the axle would also be less, and it would be much lower than the load centre of bikes. 

Ern

14 hours ago, Landieboy said:

has anyone fitted the spare wheel under a swift challenger 635 2018

am I reading you correctly, that you want to fit a spare wheel carrier to the underneath of your caravan, when everyone else is taking their's off, or are you having problems in  putting the spare wheel into the carrier?

• I do not understand 1

As (nearly) everyone else has said, the best place for the carrier is in the nearest bin. My spare used to live on the floor when travelling or under the caravan when parked. It lives under the bed in our current caravan.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).