We're away at the moment and I've noticed how many people appear to be towing with a van these days, which has got me thinking.

At the moment we have a 2005 Grand Cherokee which is only used for the caravan, which it pulls really well, but it's a bit thirty and as a result spends most of the time otherwise just sat on the driveway.

A van would suit us. Plenty of room for the dog, who is quite large. We do a lot of sailing so great for towing the boats and putting all the wet stuff in.

I was wondering if anyone has any real world experience of towing with either a Vito Dualiner, or Vauxhall Vivaro. Probably about 5 or 6 years old. Our caravan is a Sprite Quattro with a maximum weight of 1600kgs.

I don't have any experience of towing with one but I have read of some sites being funny about allowing vans on. You may be ok with a plain van (no company logos).

May be worth some research.

Some manufacturers advise not to tow with commercial vehicles. Mine does 

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

We tow with a van, have done for nearly 4 years, never had a problem with either C&C or CMC, both my vans do not carry any sign writing 👍 think they don’t mind a self employed plumber or the likes advertising on their own vans but would bulk at commercial sign written vans. 

Once booked a site a Henley. It was noticeable on their website, booking form and booking confirmation how many times "commercial vehicles were not allowed under any circumstances" was mentioned.

Duly arrived, pitched up, went for a mooch around and the vast majority of caravans on-site had arrived behind a sign written van of some description!

Never had any problems with anyone with a commercial vehicle. As a TA tugger we are always aware of any restrictions on twins, but other than one site in Milton Keynes who won't entertain TA vans (even when asked!), never had an issue in that direction either.

Cheers

Keith

Yes I've only seen issues with sign written ones. 

I'd be having one with rear windows, jazzy wheels etc, so I don't see any problems there.

It's just the actual towing experiance I'm thinking about. Stability, and whether the relatively low power outputs aren't an issue due to different gearing.

In terms of power, it depends how low. I know the T5s with less than 100bhp struggle with medium size vans! A remap or tuning box is the easy solution though. 

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

I tow half and half. We have a Kia Sorento for hols and an Iveco daily van for steam rallies (to carry our miniature traction engine). The van is less able than the car but plenty good enough and very economical. I have only used one commercial site with the van so I can't comment on the welcome generally. However, I would be surprised if there was a problem if you told them beforehand.

We tow our 2013 Lunar Clubman SE (1495Kg) with our Transit Custom Ltd 170PS. We have also towed with a 115PS Vivaro. We have had custom cages fitted to transport our dogs. Most of the time we are attending dog agility shows so not  a problem. We have lots of friends who also tow with a variety of vans - Transporters, Vitos, Transits, Vivaros, Trafics

We have never had a problem with sites accepting us. We use club sites, CL/CS sites & independent sites. We are always upfront when booking about the van & the dogs. 

The Vivaro was a bit underpowered, but have never had a problem with the Transit. If you do chose a Transit, be careful re manual or automatic  - there is a big difference in towing limits.

Edited by miJ
  • Thanks 1

Lunar Clubman SE Towed by Vauxhall Vivaro containing 6 border collies

We have 2 vans both are the Kombi type with windows and rear seats a  2007 VW T5 tdi 4 motion manual and a 2019 Transit custom limited dciv auto  . Both tow our Unicorn Valencia well but the VW can tow more and feels more stable . They are brilliant for a active family and brilliant for camping or Caravanning . I often think of going back to a car but it would need to be something big like a Q7 or Range Rover just to get all the stuff in without overloading the caravan . 

Edited by cb300

2019 Ford Transit DCIV Limited 190bhp Auto / 2007 VW Transporter Kombi 2.5 TDI 174bhp  4 Motion  +  2018 Bailey Unicorn lV Valencia 

I tow my Bailey Pursuit 400-2 with a 2013 Citroen Dispatch 1.6l. It’s slightly underpowered on hills but benefits of space for the dog crates, awning (so we don’t have to put the awning up when we arrive if it’s chucking down) etc.  makes it worth it.

I would love a Transit Custom as I think they are practical and are actually quite nice looking for a van. But I would worry about it getting broken into by scrotes looking for power tools left inside overnight. They often peel back the rear/side doors to gain entry.

Whats the difference in towing ability between the manual and autos please?

We had a 116 cdi Dualiner for a year or so, towed really well but was very nearly at 100% with our twin axle on the back and was absolutely terrible on anything other than Tarmac as far as traction went.

On the road it was by far the nicest thing to pull the caravan with though, very stable and decent fuel consumption.

I have the impression that some vans have a decent MGW (pay load is what they're for after all) but if you load them up the towing limit reduces because they do not have a huge MTW. I distinctly remember problems with transits on this matter when towing. 

Edited by Ern

Ern

On 28/08/2020 at 08:46, LeadFarmer said:

Whats the difference in towing ability between the manual and autos please?

From memory auto is limited to 1500kg and the manaul in short wheel base about 2000kg and 2200kg for long wheel base manual models.

It does differ a fair bit.

i tow with a 2019 citroen dispatch mwb 120hp manual - we got a tuning chip box to take bhp up

to 161 bhp

it tows a challenger x880 

and it tows it superb very stable unit even if big artics score past

also returns 30mpg towing 

would recommend it to anyone