Anyone had a reliable LR?

3 hours ago, craigderby said:

I've owned about 17 different Land Rovers.

Only time I've come on a breakdown truck was when a radiator hose spilt, but that was a 27 year old Defender, so I'll let it off.

I think there's a difference between coming home on a breakdown truck and how much time and money is needed to keep things running right.

I've had Series 3's and Defenders over the decades and tinkering at a weekend and changing bits was part of being an enthusiast.

But now owners expect not to lift a bonnet for anything other than washer fluid for two years.

My last JLR product never broke down but in 18 months from around 40k miles to late 50k miles cost £2800 and more times at the dealership than it should.

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's gone quiet.   

Mate of mine had a Disco 3 for years as far as I know he only every had one major problem with it.   It caught fire and completely burnt out.  

Worth remembering JLR have three plants in the UK, directly employing ~ 50,000 people and producing over half a million cars per year. If they disappeared, over a million families would be aff

Posted Images

On 18/08/2020 at 14:47, The road toad said:

As ever there seems to be lots of negatives about Land Rover vehicles and I was wondering if anyone had some positives to say?

My experience was a 2007 Freelander SE which only gave us one problem in 6 years and that was cured by replacing a broken cable and adding a second earth the battery.

HI , had my Freelander 2 HSE  Auto 2011   74000 miles  for nearly 5 years  never gave me any trouble or expensive  repairs , when I first brought it I was worried over some negative reports but it has been faultless , ironically today I have taken it to dealers where it was part exchanged  for a Ford Kuga St-Line 180Bhp 2.0 AWD Auto which i collected this morning if it performs as well as the Freelander I will be a happy man, the reason for changing was the age of the vehicle not a reliability issue, but personally I thought  anything over 10 years old would  I think be pushing my luck as time goes on .

• Like 1

Worth remembering JLR have three plants in the UK, directly employing ~ 50,000 people and producing over half a million cars per year.

If they disappeared, over a million families would be affected, would be good to know how many JLR customers are satisfied compared to the ones who aren’t.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 3
20 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

" would be good to know how many JLR customers are satisfied compared to the ones who aren’t"

I'm very satisfied with mine, incidentlly, I have had three of these  emails (Find out how much can you get for your LAND ROVER in this condition and move on to the next car) since my post.

I thought that “Reliability” and “Land Rover” were considered oxymorons these days?

No personal experience but a pal who belongs to a shooting syndicate keeps regaling  me with tales of woe from other (modern) LR owning syndicate members. He drives an X5 now having learnt his lesson with his last JLR purchase, a  RR Sport. The garage tried for months to sort out some electrical gremlins, then LR had it back for three MONTHS without being able to cure the problems, after which he lost all faith in them, so had his money back.

He is now talking about a Bentayga, (he is  minted) 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

21 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Worth remembering JLR have three plants in the UK, directly employing ~ 50,000 people and producing over half a million cars per year.

If they disappeared, over a million families would be affected, would be good to know how many JLR customers are satisfied compared to the ones who aren’t.

I have a fair few ex-colleagues and friends that work for JLR now.

I like the products, style, performance and the way they drive.

I used to be an enthusiast, subscribe to  LR Owner magazine, buy the clothing, but I had a break of 15 years due to the hassle.

I've just had another 18 month ownership experience and I think that will be my last for another 15 years or forever.

It's sad but the products need to be made better and last longer without excessive maintenance and repairs.

• Like 2
  • I do not understand 1

On 19/08/2020 at 10:51, logiclee said:

The 2.0 ingenium diesels have problems in certain models due to some platforms not allowing close coupling of the dpf  which leads to oil dilution issues if you don't do the "Compatible" types of journeys.

The 3.0 diesel is proving to be a nightmare with age. Cracked intake manifolds and intercoolers, seized 2nd turbo actuators, coolant leakes and the dreaded spun bearing on the crank again due to failed dpf regens and oil dilution.

The old PSA/Ford 2.2 is a noisy agricultural lump but has proven reliability.

The spun bearings is a problem on the 2.7, the 3.0 doesn’t seem to have this issue, crankshafts snapping is an issue though with the 3.0, can go anytime as mileage as low as 26k, with a bill in the region of 16k if your unlucky.

Myself after twenty years of Land Rovers, two Freelander 2’s and three Discoverey’s I no longer own one, it went yesterday great vehicles but let down by poor after service and poor dealers.

TD5, worst of the bunch, but always got me home.

Freelander 2, wiring issue that was resolved after a two stay at the dealer’s.

Another Freelander 2, flat battery was the only issue.

Discovery 4, no issues.

Another Discovery 4, flat battery again, on the drive.

Service them correctly they will be ok, run them on the cheap, your heading for trouble.

• I agree completely 1
29 minutes ago, ad210358 said:

The spun bearings is a problem on the 2.7, the 3.0 doesn’t seem to have this issue, crankshafts snapping is an issue though with the 3.0, can go anytime as mileage as low as 26k, with a bill in the region of 16k if your unlucky.

HOW much??

Thats possibly a higher percentage of the vehicles value than an insurance company would use to write a damaged one off! 

• Haha 1
  • I disagree 2

My first was a 2009 RRS 3.6 TDV8 which I put @80k miles on. The only issue I had was a split inter cooler hose from the turbo (£25).

My second is a FFRR 4.4 SDV8 with nothing to report after 3 months of ownership.

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

10 hours ago, ad210358 said:

On the Jaguar forums we are still seeing spun bearings on the 3.0 and it's commonly reported that the failed bottom end bearings, spun bearings, snapped crank is a common failure mode and that is oil dilution.  

There has been XF owners who've done servicing with premium oil and using premium  fuel who have still had 3.0 Engine failure. What seems common is these owners are low mileage users that do a lot of short journeys.

Some do suggest the 3.0's crank isn't beefy enough for the torque but some 700NM models are fine and we'll get 500NM examples snapping cranks at low miles.

9 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

HOW much??

There are plenty of JLR products in scrap yards that are otherwise complete except for a destroyed 5.0V8 due to cam chain snapping and destroyed 3.0V6D due to crank failure.

Edited by logiclee

I think just about every make and model of vehicles have good ‘uns and bad ‘uns. 

The issue is the percentage of bad ‘uns and, sadly, JLR vehicles seem to have a higher than acceptable percentage of them. Software glitches, bearing problems and as for crankshafts breaking well that’s simply not good enough these days ESPECIALLY on a car costing what a LR does. 

I would love love to run a Range Rover, but I simply don’t have the money to fund the possible repair bills. I could buy one and not have any problems like many have done, but the odds of that are not as favourable as they are on something else. So I buy something else!

19 minutes ago, logiclee said:

..........and destroyed 3.0V6D due to crank failure.

Read somewhere more immunity with the 8 speed box.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Interesting article here regarding ongoing issues with 2 LR products (and others).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-8642531/Consumer-watchdog-says-seven-popular-cars-need-recalled.html

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

25 minutes ago, phil1041 said:

Interesting article here regarding ongoing issues with 2 LR products (and others).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-8642531/Consumer-watchdog-says-seven-popular-cars-need-recalled.html

Phil.

Doesn't show any JLR product in a very good light does it? 

8 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Doesn't show any JLR product in a very good light does it? 

No not really, the findings and article are from Which, now if they have an axe to grind or not i dont know but once again, in the reliability polls, always a LR problem, they are certainly found wanting.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Read somewhere more immunity with the 8 speed box.

I couldn't say.

Jaguar 3.0DV6 models swapped to 8 speed for Model Year 2011. There are certainly still failures on 8 speed models.  Yes you do see more 6 speed model failure but is this purely down to age and mileage?

Lee

29 minutes ago, logiclee said:

I couldn't say.

Jaguar 3.0DV6 models swapped to 8 speed for Model Year 2011. There are certainly still failures on 8 speed models.  Yes you do see more 6 speed model failure but is this purely down to age and mileage?

Lee

Found the page I saw it on, not sure what authority the guy is, it's South African 4x4 forum.

It is towards the end.

20200821_084538.thumb.png.5d6c8e1ae2674f8a5b406e908afa410e.png

20200821_084746.thumb.png.8bc591f89a2a9f15a3f810423d79d715.png

20200821_084846.thumb.png.044bf05c58681b197d52a4372cb0d7d5.png

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Fascinating read. 

It confirms my intention of not purchasing any JLR product which is a shame. I like the style and driving dynamics but simply cannot afford to risk an engine failing on me. 

Its such a shame that Jaguar are being dragged down into the L R mire, such a wonderful company and cars at one time at least.

Love the styling and the interiors of the new Jaguars, but, like Mr Plodd, I couldn't possibly risk one on my Spanish journeys.

Phil.

Another 3.0V6D  bottom end failure posted a few minutes ago on the Jaguar enthusiasts Facebook group.  Still running but that sickening obvious sound.

This time a 2016 XJ  so will have 8 speed box.

image.png.b4389012d7a366fd77ccd70128db8554.png

Edited by logiclee

On 21/08/2020 at 08:14, logiclee said:

On the Jaguar forums we are still seeing spun bearings on the 3.0 and it's commonly reported that the failed bottom end bearings, spun bearings, snapped crank is a common failure mode and that is oil dilution.  

There has been XF owners who've done servicing with premium oil and using premium  fuel who have still had 3.0 Engine failure. What seems common is these owners are low mileage users that do a lot of short journeys.

Some do suggest the 3.0's crank isn't beefy enough for the torque but some 700NM models are fine and we'll get 500NM examples snapping cranks at low miles.

There are plenty of JLR products in scrap yards that are otherwise complete except for a destroyed 5.0V8 due to cam chain snapping and destroyed 3.0V6D due to crank failure.

Tale of two vehicles, in the last few years spun shells on a 3.0 doesn’t get a mention on disco4.com but snapped cranks even on the D5 do. Was also featured on Watchdog a few months back.

There is no way on the planet that a crankshaft should snap with such regularity, it’s obviously a serious engineering design fault so how on Earth can JLR not agree to repair any that fail! (Proving the vehicle has the correct service record) 

Class action time?? It worked with VW and will possibly be the same for Mercedes. At least their cars kept running rather than suffering catastrophic engine failures like JLR. 

Yet still people buy JLR products :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, ad210358 said:

Tale of two vehicles, in the last few years spun shells on a 3.0 doesn’t get a mention on disco4.com but snapped cranks even on the D5 do. Was also featured on Watchdog a few months back.

D5? So ZF8HP then?

• I do not understand 1

The new Defender will put all that behind it.  

• Haha 2
  • I agree completely 2

Ern