Anyone had a reliable LR?

As ever there seems to be lots of negatives about Land Rover vehicles and I was wondering if anyone had some positives to say?

My experience was a 2007 Freelander SE which only gave us one problem in 6 years and that was cured by replacing a broken cable and adding a second earth the battery.

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's gone quiet.   

Mate of mine had a Disco 3 for years as far as I know he only every had one major problem with it.   It caught fire and completely burnt out.  

Worth remembering JLR have three plants in the UK, directly employing ~ 50,000 people and producing over half a million cars per year. If they disappeared, over a million families would be aff

Posted Images

It's gone quiet. :D

tenor.gif

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • I disagree 2

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

It is a fact that folks only moan about things that go wrong.

You don't hear people complaining that their car/wash machine/tv/phone/..... whatever, just keeps working do you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 years and 2 Land Rovers over about 120k miles. Including plenty of off-road use. Only one fault, a dicky boot release switch that took 10 mins to swap, costing about 20 quid.

Most reliable cars we’ve ever had, and Kay’s had a couple of Hondas, one of which saw the inside of a workshop rather more than it should. 

• Like 1

Mate of mine had a Disco 3 for years as far as I know he only every had one major problem with it.   It caught fire and completely burnt out.  

• Haha 6

3 of our 4 have been brilliant!

Our second one, a Freelander 2, 08 plate was a nightmare, but Land Rover carried on picking up the tabs,  long after it was out of warranty!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

1 Freelander and 2 Discovery sports fault Had a fault on a 5 year old turbo and replaced with Landrover paying half the cost

I have    been very happy with them all  

On my 3rd RRS having had 1 FL1 and 2 FL2s.  Very satisfied owner.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

Discovery 300Tdi - was a rust bucket that needed regular TLC to keep it going.

Freelander 1 - ECU fault just after buying it and then a fuel pump failure, both covered by the warranty, then a few years of normal wear and tear.

Freelander 2 - Reliable car, no dramas to report.

Had many land rovers over the years and the last 2 both freelander 2s have only had to replace wear parts ie tyres, brake pads and batteries 

on my 6th in 54 years continuous except for a couple of years in early 80s .. Only one I had trouble with was a V8 petrol Disco 2 on LPG 2009 to 2017  .. most problems caused by LPG set-up and fitting an electric fan to replace original belt driven unit .. 

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

As an interested bystander I've been following various comments about LR both on this forum and in the motoring press.

Am I right in thinking that by far the majority of reliability issues have arisen since the introduction of the 2.0 Ingenium engine and associated design changes ?     So is the old 2.2 a better bet? 

The LRL’s (Land Rover Lovers) will deny it but JLR products always come near the bottom of any reliability survey.   That said our Toyota Land Cruiser suffered terminal chassis rot at 15.   

Yes me toad, had a few.

K plate 300Tdi - 14,000 miles approx
M plate Range Rover Classic - 22,000 miles approx
51 plate Td5 - 27,567 miles
06 plate D3 S, 29,865 miles
10 plate D4  XS, 35,004 miles
15 plate D4 HSE, 33,000 miles (to date)

All from new and on the bounce for towing power boats and caravans.

Only one ever let me down, my current D4 but as you can see all low milers.

The only time my current D4 let me down was on a recent holiday, a non starter due to a tired 51/2 year old battery, £330 at the then local LR stealer!

Halfords £100 cheaper until they found it had an electric parking brake then wouldn't touch it and couldn't have reset the BMS anyhow apparently. :blink:

Be keeping and looking after this one to see my caravanning days out so trousers at local seamstress having pockets deepened in readiness. :P

Only two cars have ever 'broken down' on me, a Hillman Imp and a Mercedes 220CDi Estate, twice.

Edited by Griff
Edit. Smiley added.

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

8 Range Rovers, 1 series 2a Land Rover, 120064 miles towing, would have to do some work to find non towing mileage, only used recovery 3 times.

1 Alternator failure at home and didn’t make it to the repair Indy.

2 Front air bag blew, recovery to next venue repaired locally, Car was still driveable.

3 Front dynamic suspension control failure, recovery to next venue repaired locally, Car was still driveable.

Number 7 RR was a Velar and had loads of problems with the infotainment and screens going blank but did not break down.

Next car will be another RR if I live that long.

Ian

• Like 1

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Seven various LR products over 40 odd years. Had a RR Classic for 14 years, (fuel pump relay changed) and then the tailgate rusted away!! . Now have a Freelander 2 , 4 years and no problems.

• Like 1

Landrover Freelander 2 towing a Bailey Pegasus IV verona

On my third RR, all 4.6 for towing. Average cost for service and MOT, thousand pounds, they always find something to replace. Shocks to be replaced after hols in a couple of weeks. 12 to the gallon but pure luxury. Can drop the height to allow for easy entry. Can pull 5 tonnes and a diff lock for pulling a boat out on a greasy slipway. Worth every penny.

• I disagree 1
11 hours ago, CJ1149 said:

As an interested bystander I've been following various comments about LR both on this forum and in the motoring press.

Am I right in thinking that by far the majority of reliability issues have arisen since the introduction of the 2.0 Ingenium engine and associated design changes ?     So is the old 2.2 a better bet? 

The 2.0 ingenium diesels have problems in certain models due to some platforms not allowing close coupling of the dpf  which leads to oil dilution issues if you don't do the "Compatible" types of journeys.

The 3.0 diesel is proving to be a nightmare with age. Cracked intake manifolds and intercoolers, seized 2nd turbo actuators, coolant leakes and the dreaded spun bearing on the crank again due to failed dpf regens and oil dilution.

The old PSA/Ford 2.2 is a noisy agricultural lump but has proven reliability.

I am fleet manager for a large company.

I removed LR from the list due to poor reliability. Mostly electrical faults and one engine failure.

They won't be going back on the list.

I am sure plenty are also trouble free.

• Like 2

West Yorks Police got rid of all theirs for the same reason, awful reliability.

So, to answer the OP original question, NO.

Edited by phil1041
  • Like 1

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

19 minutes ago, Fang2260 said:

I am fleet manager for a large company.

I removed LR from the list due to poor reliability. Mostly electrical faults and one engine failure.

They won't be going back on the list.

I am sure plenty are also trouble free.

Same happened in my company over 15 years ago.

We only had LR products as we needed off road capability.  90% of drivers/sites were moved into various pickups, mainly Mitsubishi and Toyota.

Just those who needed the last bit off off road capability kept their Defenders.

58 minutes ago, logiclee said:

....The 3.0 diesel is proving to be a nightmare with age. Cracked intake manifolds and intercoolers, seized 2nd turbo actuators, coolant leakes and the dreaded spun bearing on the crank again due to failed dpf regens and oil dilution.......

Is that the same engine as in my 2015 3 litre TDV6 Discovery? :mellow:

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

35 minutes ago, Griff said:

Is that the same engine as in my 2015 3 litre TDV6 Discovery? :mellow:

Yes.

There doesn't seem to be a day goes by on the Jaguar forums without someone having issues with the 3.0.

The inlet manifold doubles as a rocker cover and is plastic so cracking is quite common especially on 8+ years. 

The actautor on the bigger turbo seizing seems to be more common on cars driven gently so in the heavier LR products and towing vehicles maybe less of an issue.

The spun or seized crank bearing is thankfully less common but in 99% of cases will require a reconditioned engine.  There has been a lot of suggestions as to why this happens but oil dilution from failed regens seems to be the most common theory. 

7 minutes ago, logiclee said:

The spun or seized crank bearing is thankfully less common but in 99% of cases will require a reconditioned engine.  There has been a lot of suggestions as to why this happens but oil dilution from failed regens seems to be the most common theory. 

The same issue and likely cause on the GM/Fiat 2.0 cdti engine as found in astra's & insignia's. 

I've owned about 17 different Land Rovers.

Only time I've come on a breakdown truck was when a radiator hose spilt, but that was a 27 year old Defender, so I'll let it off.

• Like 1