When is a member not a member?

15 hours ago, Ern said:

I was going to respond to the OP,  but decided to refrane from anything which might cause offence to the many decent motor caravanners who use this site. 

Lets not make this personal as its a debate on what membership of a club is about and we all have different views on this. I seem to be getting a bit of an attack for having a different view point which is disappointing.

9 hours ago, klyne said:

I think that is probably where the confusion has arisen. The C&CC do allow motorhomers to use the services, at a cost, on certain sites but not all. Thus far the CMC has not followed in allowing this service. Access to CMC sites is strictly on payment of a minimum of one night stay which allows you to use all the service that particular site offers.  I am not sure how the person in question managed to access even the water? Being a member of the Club gives him no right to use any of the facilities unless he has paid to stay on site.  There are some practical reasons why the Club would not be encouraged to provide this service. It wouldn't be able to control arrival and departure time if people just turned up to fill with water. Perhaps it wouldn't increase traffic by much it could place extra demand on over stretched facilities. I am also not sure the Club want to encourage "wild camping"

David

Well balanced and I agree. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I disagree!   Site fees pay for the facilities on the site and are there for those members who are staying.   Recently I stayed on a CC site in Gloucestershire and one morning a private contractor arr

My take on this is that by becoming a member, you can, for a fee, book onto their sites and enjoy certain other benefits after paying the appropriate fee. It doesn't mean that everything is free

It doesn't need anything else as it couldn't be more clearer.   1. You pay your annual fee to be a member of the C&MC, this gives you access to book members only club sites, and where no

Posted Images

9 hours ago, moorgate said:

The Caravan Club changed its name to include motorhomes but made precious few other changes to provide for them.  Was the re branding just a paper exercise?  

The requirements for caravans and motorhomes are pretty much identical are they not?  Somewhere to pitch (most pitches are now hardstanding) fresh water, grey and black water disposal points. Showers and toilets (for those who want to use them) 

So what changes do you feel they should  make to provide for motorhomes? 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

9 hours ago, moorgate said:

The Caravan Club changed its name to include motorhomes but made precious few other changes to provide for them.  Was the re branding just a paper exercise?  

Hi moorgate,  I believe the club have given reasons for the change but cant generate the enthusiasm to study them. Many organisations spend/waste a great deal of money on name changes.

Cornwall Fire Brigade became Cornwall Fire & Rescue as, presumably, people trapped and needing rescue might be unaware this was a service the fire brigade' could offer-or maybe someone thought it was a 'good idea'?!

As for the OP, there is just too much 'they do say' and I do hear' for me.

53 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

• The sevicing of freshwater and grey waste is different, so services to best facilitate these ought to be more universally available.
  • Then there is the lack of "Aire" like sites in town centres the club ough to buy to better suit MHs.
  • Also pressurise government to rethink the guidance on unit spacing in respect to specifically MHs so they can closer "nest" thus reduce the size required for these in town facilities, and importantly get the night price down.
  • Fund the local bus provider to reroute to the site entrance.
  • Have a pool of budget hire cars [EVs] on site for that odd trip out.
  • And provide the mentioned "drop in " facility for a water refresh, dump grey and black water, garbage etc and have a shower do the laundry, all without incuring the cost of a nights stay.
  • Provide trailer parking area.
  • Provide LPG top up pumps.

Come on there is a lot they "could" do to better help Motorhomers, it is the future ;)

Edited by JTQ
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • I agree completely 1
44 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

The requirements for caravans and motorhomes are pretty much identical are they not?  Somewhere to pitch (most pitches are now hardstanding) fresh water, grey and black water disposal points. Showers and toilets (for those who want to use them) 

That's a question the CMC should ask its Motorhome members. You and I are caravanners.  The motorhomers themselves will have suggestions how the Club could change its sites and change its ways to meet their requirements.  But little has yet been done since the change of name. 

Why has the CMC been singled out for providing a service stop facility? Why arn't other camp sites - take Old Oaks for example - expected to provide this? 

Edited by Ern

Ern

Funding buses to go to campsite, I think many local people would like funding for a normal bus service let alone a special service for people on holiday. 

• I agree completely 3
34 minutes ago, moorgate said:

But little has yet been done since the change of name. 

Do you have survey reports to support that statement?   On the CC site where I stayed last week, there were 60-odd pitches sharing three service points, one of which had a drive over emptying point with fitted hose for a water supply.   I wouldn't mind betting that that facility wasn't there four years ago.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

1 minute ago, Odd days said:

Funding buses to go to campsite, I think many local people would like funding for a normal bus service let alone a special service for people on holiday. 

Yes, us also, but that is up to the LA, here the club as a private company could use its money to give that MH focused facility should it wish, just like supermarkets do.

50 minutes ago, JTQ said:

• And provide the mentioned "drop in " facility for a water refresh, dump grey and black water, garbage etc and have a shower do the laundry, all without incuring the cost of a nights stay.

Why should the CMC encourage motor home users to travel without using proper camp sites overnight?  There are already numerous reports complaining about motor homes overnighting in car parks

The CMHC are modifying the grey waste disposal points to full width grids rather than manholes but it will take time.

A lot of sites in France and Spain allow water and waste disposal for non residents for a small fee and I have seen a few filling stations with the same.

Maybe as France and Spain try to discourage wild camping these facilities will disappear.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

The CMC has spent a lot of money increasing the number of hard standing pitches at the expense of grass, installing grey water drive over and fresh water filling points. Facilities for motor caravans using the sites are definately being improved. The club cannot publish anything on the subject of travellers (whatever kind of vehicles they are) without getting into serious conflict but it has decided not to provide service points outside the gates. It is not in the best interest of the vast majority club members to do it.

Ern

I wouldn't dream of expecting to use the site services for free so I think that the club should turn them away. Would it be ok to nip onto a site to use their toilets or showers if your not staying there? Whats the difference? They are using the sites services so should be made to pay.

Imagine yourself being on site and having to queue at the shower block because members who aren't even staying there are using them. Whether it be water filling, waste emptying, using toilets or washing machine, they are services that should be paid for.

1 hour ago, DACS said:

Why should the CMC encourage motor home users to travel without using proper camp sites overnight?  There are already numerous reports complaining about motor homes overnighting in car parks

There was a purpose in the "Wink".

2 hours ago, JTQ said:

The club as a private company could use its money to give that MH focused facility should it wish, just like supermarkets do.

They already do with dedicated MH fresh water refilling points with long hose pipes and grates to pull over to empty grey waste.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

As the previous owner of a MH for some 10 years I never felt that any of the CMC (or CC as they were) sites were “lacking” in facilities for motorhomes and, frankly I think some of the suggestions as to what the CMC should do for MH owners are totally unrealistic and simply not going to happen.

Fund a bus service like supermarkets do? Pie in the Sky!  

Aire type sites in town centres? I suggest you look at how much a patch of ground in a town centre is likely to cost these days If any WERE set up the cost would be much higher than a campsite for the night in order to cover the costs.

Drive over waste disposal, well they are becoming a lot more common theses days. 

LPG pumps?? If garage forecourts cannot make them pay what chance for camp sites

The answer really is pretty simple, if you are a MH owner and don’t feel the CMC are doing enough for you cease being a member, simples! 

• Thanks 1
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 3

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

8 hours ago, IanV8 said:

The CMHC are modifying the grey waste disposal points to full width grids rather than manholes but it will take time.

A lot of sites in France and Spain allow water and waste disposal for non residents for a small fee and I have seen a few filling stations with the same.

Maybe as France and Spain try to discourage wild camping these facilities will disappear.

Ian

The OP was implying it should be free!

9 hours ago, Ern said:

Why has the CMC been singled out for providing a service stop facility? Why arn't other camp sites - take Old Oaks for example - expected to provide this? 

Why should, for example, provide a service stop facility?  It is not a club with paid up members.  

The  CMC has been ‘singled out’ because it is a club with paid up members and the original post was specifically about an event that involved a CMC site and a paid up member.

The discussion is really about whether or not members of the CMC should reasonably expect certain facilities to be included in the membership fee.

Provide aires in towns? I, as a caravanner, pay the same membership fee as a motorhomer so why should the club provide sites that I can't use?

• I agree completely 2

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

15 minutes ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

Provide aires in towns? I, as a caravanner, pay the same membership fee as a motorhomer so why should the club provide sites that I can't use?

Because they provide hundreds of CLs in soggy fields which motorhomes can't use ? 

9 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Because they provide hundreds of CLs in soggy fields which motorhomes can't use ? 

Thats not really the club providing anything though is it, its just a farmer with some spare land to one side, hardly anything provide for there. The club doesn't exactly throw lots of members money at CL's. A boggy field is just as problematic for a car and caravan. Plenty of CL's with hard standings that MH's can use. And if the lack of suitable facilities was such a problem then why do so many buy a motorhome?

27 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Here's three motorhomes on CLs that appear to be coping:-

897740193_CaravanClubCLs1.jpg.093237169fcbd0340e22532d18d8e172.jpg

265040457_CaravanClub-3.jpg.6e7f67e3bf5790018ac7038c80adcecb.jpg

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

As a motorhomer there are two things I want the Club to do before they embark on any other changes. Firstly I would like them to speed up the installation of open grill waste water disposal points. They are making progress but it could be a bit faster, in normal times I should add! Secondly a minor change to the booking system which would allow all member, be they caravanners or motorhomers the option to book a hardstanding pitch. 

JDQ mentioned about buses. A modest contribution might secure a bus service not only for members using the campsite but also for nearby local residents. I am not convinced it will happen as I don't think the Club are prepared to do things like that. Another thing that would benefit caravans and motorhomes would be to make a contribution to resurfacing access roads? Might not have had the debacle we had at Cirencester?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels