When slowing at junctions or in queuing traffic the van brakes squeak at lower speeds (say 20 mph or lower).

Anything to bother about or needing attended to?

They shouldn’t need replaced already.

Towing: 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Tow Car: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

Yep! Our Swift did this. Its down to the brake lining material. Swap the shoes for better quality and this should cure it!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Ours did it for a bit when we first used it. But it didn’t bother us too much. 4.5 years of ownership and I can’t think when I last heard them squeal. Maybe putting the brakes through a number of heat cycles has had something to do with it?

• Like 1

A VERY well known problem at the moment. If you cannot get it sorted under warranty then another solution is to get the leading edge of the all the brake shoes chamfered off  at about 45° Easy enough job. 

• Like 2

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

20 years ago I would have said excessive brake dust in the drums,  these days with modern brake shoe materials it's anyone's guess but I would be inclined to follow Mr Plodds advice for starters!

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

I took my 2019 Swift for its first service recently and chatted to the service guy, he said that whilst Alko had previously dealt with this as a warranty issue, they aren't doing so any longer as they have conveniently decided that it is of no detriment to the caravan!

He had previously taken photos of the drums and brakes and supplied them to Alko who had then provided new drums etc. But it appears they have stopped doing this now.

That’s a pretty outrageous attitude really isn’t it.  

If all the paint was was peeling off, or the windows all gone cloudy would that be the same and not be covered by a warranty as it doesn’t affect the use of the caravan?? It’s the same principle. That’s the first argument I would hit them with.

Alko have had to fork out a huge sum of money so far due to this issue so I suspect they have put this story out to try and discourage any more claims and save themselves any more costs. Wouldn’t work with me.

It is the caravan manufacturer who has to sort this out. You bought the entire thing from them so it is they who have to rectify it and then sort it out with their supplier (Alko) 

Woukd anyone accept a car with constantly squealing brakes?? Of course not, so why the **@** should Caravan owners?? 

Time someone got a class action organised like happened with VW and now Mercedes. 

Are any of the Clubs taking this up on behalf of their members? If not why not???

Edited by Mr Plodd

Squeaky brakes on a 2016 Swift, took the dealer 5 goes to sort it out, same squeaky brakes on a 2019 Elddis dealer sorted first time all under warranty. Take it back to whence you bought it, if they don't seem helpful just keep driving and braking up squeaking up and down the road each time you see a salesman about to take an order:)

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

That’s an interesting idea! 

Some years ago now my daughter bought a pair pair of shoes from a well known high st shoe shop. They broke within a week so, understandably, she took them back to be told “We won’t replace them or refund you because you have worn them” yes really!!

Smart girl then stood outside the shop and tackled every customer looking to go into the shop and recounted her tale to them. None then entered into the shop. 

She got got her money back, in full, after a very short period of time. 

NOTHING hurts a business more than losing a sale! 

10 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

That’s an interesting idea! 

Some years ago now my daughter bought a pair pair of shoes from a well known high st shoe shop. They broke within a week so, understandably, she took them back to be told “We won’t replace them or refund you because you have worn them” yes really!!

Smart girl then stood outside the shop and tackled every customer looking to go into the shop and recounted her tale to them. None then entered into the shop. 

She got got her money back, in full, after a very short period of time. 

NOTHING hurts a business more than losing a sale! 

Was it a sole trader?

1 minute ago, LeadFarmer said:

Was it a sole trader?

No, but she did feel a bit of a “heel” doing it apparently. She had considered using a “Stiletto” to stab the manager, or giving him a “welt”  but as she was “strapped” for cash & didn’t want to be seen to “buckle”  she took the action she did :P

• Haha 2

Only issue with removing the drums is that you will have to replace (and torque up the new) sacrificial nuts! :rolleyes: