Is it just me, or are the roads leading to a heck of a lot of sites really narrow, winding, uneven, contain really tight corners, or all of the above?

We are now on the second leg of our break, and while both places we've stayed have been great sites, both of them have had ridiculous roads that combine all of what I've just mentioned, ie, the worst surface and situation you could possibly think of on which to pull a caravan, on our first site a poor bloke in a camper coming the other way had to reverse for nearly a quarter of a mile as we arrived because there was nowhere to go on the lead up to the site.

Surely as places that are exclusively touring pitches you might expect things such as access quite an important thing? 

We've gone away at least three times a year in the seven years I've owned this caravan, and I can count the ones that have had an access road that's up to the job on one hand.

• I agree completely 1

Have you asked the site owners? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

7 hours ago, clarkey1984 said:

We've gone away at least three times a year in the seven years I've owned this caravan, and I can count the ones that have had an access road that's up to the job on one hand.

You might just have been unlucky. I can only think of one site we’ve ever been to where access was awkward, (BakewellCCC) and that was the public road for a mile or so before the site access road, which was fine. 

We often use 5 van CS sites, and even there, we’ve never had any issues. 

the latest access road that is causing some concern is the one to Cirencester CMC  site.  There are a few single track roads  and also  some roads that are unsuitable for caravans so you have to follow the sites directions and not the sat nav.   

7 minutes ago, joanie said:

the latest access road that is causing some concern is the one to Cirencester CMC  site.  There are a few single track roads  and also  some roads that are unsuitable for caravans so you have to follow the sites directions and not the sat nav.   

I believe that the CMC have been able to improve the Cirencester site access road and the large rocks have been repositioned.

I check out the roads with Google satellite maps and if it looks "iffy" I look for somewhere else.

• I agree completely 3

Sites are usually in rural places so public roads are obviously a bit narrow in places. Farms access roads are always OK as farm vehicles have to negotiate them.  Sometimes the roads around sites are too tight, so I guess you mean that.  Its all part of the fun eh?

• I agree completely 1

Ern

I found Borrowdale CMC site quite a challenge a few years ago, due to the parked cars coming out of Grange village. This was with my old 2 berth van, and it was a squeeze.

27 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

I believe that the CMC have been able to improve the Cirencester site access road and the large rocks have been repositioned.

you're right the road has been improved  and reading the reviews and the Trudgians,  it would seem that they have added a bit more tarmac to enable passing to be a bit easier, but it is still a road that requires a lot of extra care when driving on it. 

--------------------

Ramslade  CMC, we only went there once, it's a lovely site  and also in a good location.  The approach road has a few bends and a couple of single lanes, we happened to meet a 40 ton lorry , fair dos to him, he reversed all the way up the hill for us to pass, we then met a land rover who didn't realise we had a caravan on the back until he was level with us, but that's another story. 

Edited by joanie

We’re currently at Leyburn CMC site and the access road is awful, single track, high hedges and blind.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

The latest trend in 8ft wide vans will be an interesting development towards this topic.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

First point is that I always choose sites that are stress free access roads, I look on Google Earth and do the "route", so I don't come up with any hiccups and nasty surprises.

Secondly, a lot of sites do ask that you arrive after certain times, so as to give those leaving time to go, and you hopefully, won't meet up with one.

Thirdly, always look on websites of caravan sites for the best route to arrive on.

1 hour ago, Babstreefern said:

I look on Google Earth and do the "route", so I don't come up with any hiccups and nasty surprises.

We do the same, there are some sites with roads that make you question how the site got planning permission in the first place! Caravan Club sites that spring to mind are Ramslade, Cheddar and Leyburn, there are others but I can’t recall them at the minute.

We also check out the access on Google Earth although nothing so far has made us go elsewhere. It is also useful for checking landmarks as you approach.

Plymouth Sound was the worst we have encountered but made it safely although the last turn into the site had hedges both side very close to the caravan sides.

Just now, Wildwood said:

Plymouth Sound was the worst we have encountered but made it safely although the last turn into the site had hedges both side very close to the caravan sides.

Leyburn is the same hence departures are supposed to be by 11.00am but we’ve seen some casually packing and ambling off later.

Leaving Leyburn today we discovered another issue, the exit road leaving the site is so steep with a 90 degree bend halfway that unless it’s dry and you get a bit of a run up, you can get wheel spin half way! Not an issue I suppose if you run AWD but if like us you’re FWD and pulling a heavy caravan, the road needs treating with caution if it’s damp like it was today.

• Like 1