• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What gets me is that warnings have been writ large about the possibility of quarantine being imposed at short notice, yet people appear on TV moaning about the disruption to their holiday plans and th

I completely agree. In my opinion the OP has followed the advice as set out by HMG. He has transited through the non exempt countries without leaving the car so has no need to self isolate as in essen

I feel that some of the remarks are being a bit unfair to the OP. While I personally think it was foolhardy to gallop off abroad without taking into consideration the risk (as per the FCO advice)

Posted Images

Just seen something that suggests Germany is putting Spain on their quarantine list so if the safe corridor route home is through Germany once there people will have to quarantine. I could imagine if there is such a thing as a safe corridor route back to the UK or other countries, these could end up with high infection rates brought by all the people passing through, after all, is this not how everywhere ended up with the virus from travellers.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200814-germany-puts-most-of-spain-on-covid-19-quarantine-list

3 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

The message was very clearly emphasised when travel restrictions were lifted and the FCO advice changed BUT just because you can doesn't mean you have to.

It is legal to cross a road - but it is a good idea to look first.

2 hours ago, chris76 said:

why on earth would i want to cut my holiday short to sit In  The house for a fortnight,?  when we will be in Italy Germany or wherever we need to be.

Why would you want to travel abroad with all the uncertainty at the moment, when you could have stayed in the UK where we've had some of the hottest sunny days for a long time?

I don't want to have a go at you Chris, so let's just leave it that others would probably have made a different choice in your situation. I can completely understand people going abroad if they can travel independently of public transport and have no time constraints for their return but having to get back for the children's school would have put the mockers on it for me. It's looking increasingly that you're looking at 14 days self-isolation at home for your whole family upon returning home now anyway, so I hope you will take that responsibility seriously. I wish you a safe and event-free return journey home.

Campervan.

4 hours ago, Campervan said:

Why would you want to travel abroad with all the uncertainty at the moment, when you could have stayed in the UK where we've had some of the hottest sunny days for a long time?

Because it was booked a year ago and my government told me I was ok to travel but at my own risk, which we were ok with and still are ok with, we will

just adapt to this ever changing situation and then if it backfires on me in me two weeks time then so be it ...my work situation is fine.

The kids well let’s be honest they would miss at most two days of doing nothing at reduced hours the first week,then yes it would mean one more  week of working from home, but then they will return having being to Milan and the black forest as well as The ardeche, Barcelona, and northern Spain  

no offence but im guessing certain people, on this thread are of a certain age who can go abroad on a whim whenever they want..

my kids are 12 and 9 and the 12 year old going on 21

I’m afraid  Iv only got another year or two max caravanning left with her ,so yes I’m going to enjoy the rest of my holiday the best I can

41 minutes ago, chris76 said:

no offence but im guessing certain people, on this thread are of a certain age who can go abroad on a whim whenever they want..

my kids are 12 and 9 and the 12 year old going on 21

I’m afraid  Iv only got another year or two max caravanning left with her ,so yes I’m going to enjoy the rest of my holiday the best I can

Same boat as you, mine are 11 and 9 and my missus works in a school so going out of main holidays is not an option. Fwiw we would have gone on Monday if we could and yes we know the risks and were comfortable with that. As I said earlier each to their own and we need to respect that. Keep as posted how the journey goes, Good luck.

On 14/08/2020 at 19:36, Ern said:

Once again, the object is not to "get away with it" by ducking and diving. If people could just do as recommended/advised/told a lot of lives can be saved. 

no, this is the government regulations. I could expand but will probably be moderated.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after that initial  worry a few weeks back we’re sat on the tunnel as I type,

stayed in Italy for 12 nights and Germany 2

we drove straight through Belgium this afternoon and the tunnel has a drive through dog section so things worked out nicely and we got to see another country

we stayed  in piani di clodia lake Garda  which was a superb site

thanks for the constructive comments and help

On 30/08/2020 at 19:02, chris76 said:

Well after that initial  worry a few weeks back we’re sat on the tunnel as I type,

we drove straight through Belgium this afternoon and the tunnel has a drive through dog section so things worked out nicely and we got to see another country

For your information see the link below regarding travel corridors:

Link (Information issued on 29 Aug 2020)

Example of when you would need to self-isolate

1. You are in a country that is not on the travel corridor list. You travel to a country that is on the list and you stay there for 4 days from the day after you arrive. You then travel to England.

2. When you get to England, you will need to self-isolate for 10 days, not the usual 14 days. That is because you have spent 4 of the 14 days in a country that is on the travel corridor list.

Private vehicles

You don’t need to self-isolate if you travel through a non-exempt country and you don’t stop in the country.

If you do make a stop, you don’t need to self-isolate if:

• no new people get into the vehicle
  • no-one in the vehicle gets out, mixes with other people, and gets in again 

You do need to self-isolate if you make a stop and:

• new people get into the vehicle, or
  • someone gets out of the vehicle, mixes with other people and gets in again (fuel stop?)

Arrival in the UK – passenger locator form

You must show proof of a completed passenger locator form at the UK border.

1. This applies to people entering the UK from all countries.
  2. It applies to UK residents and visitors.

You should complete the form before you enter the UK.

You can complete it any time in the 48 hour period before you are due to arrive in the UK.

Make sure you leave yourself enough time to complete it. If you do not complete the form before you arrive in the UK, it might take you longer to enter the UK.

The form is an online form. You will need an internet connection and details of your journey to complete it.

Failure to complete the form is a criminal offence.

We wish you and your family a safe journey home and trust the information above is useful.

CT Admin

Thanks admin , we found the same advice on the government website 2 weeks ago hence we left Spain and went to Italy/ Germany... I don’t see the bit about the fuel stop on the guidelines btw..... I’m sure it would have been ok to pay at pump,however just to play it safe we filled up at the German border and drove straight through Belgium👍

Chris,

The, "fuel stop" comment was to show our concern and simply intended to ensure you were aware of the implications of a halt of any kind on your journey, given you had passed through both Belgium, and France to access the tunnel, neither of which are considered exempt from self isolation requirements on return to the UK.

Stay safe.

CT Admin

On 15/08/2020 at 15:39, Campervan said:

I don't want to have a go at you Chris, so let's just leave it that others would probably have made a different choice in your situation.

I hope you will take that responsibility seriously. I wish you a safe and event-free return journey home.

Chris76,

I stand by my earlier comments. I firmly believe you have made a number of poor decisions in the last couple of weeks and showed a determination to do things your way that while legal, has shown little regard for the advice of others on this forum. Whether or not it is a legal requirement, it appears from your previous decisions that you will choose not to self isolate upon your return.

Now, I believe is a time to demonstrate to all here a responsible decision for the benefit of others around you by opting to isolate yourself and your family for the next two weeks. Do this, and I am sure that many members will be in agrement, and maybe indicate their appreciation in this thread. I hope you are not offended by my comments and will take this advice, as I genuinely believe it is the best course of action, that in time you may understand and even come to agree with. 

Campervan

3 hours ago, Campervan said:

Chris76,

I stand by my earlier comments. I firmly believe you have made a number of poor decisions in the last couple of weeks and showed a determination to do things your way that while legal, has shown little regard for the advice of others on this forum. Whether or not it is a legal requirement, it appears from your previous decisions that you will choose not to self isolate upon your return.

Now, I believe is a time to demonstrate to all here a responsible decision for the benefit of others around you by opting to isolate yourself and your family for the next two weeks. Do this, and I am sure that many members will be in agrement, and maybe indicate their appreciation in this thread. I hope you are not offended by my comments and will take this advice, as I genuinely believe it is the best course of action, that in time you may understand and even come to agree with. 

Campervan

:goodpost:

And why would I need to isolate? Italy’s a lot safer than here And I’ll spend the next two weeks earning money to help pay for the extra taxes our country will need, including  your pension no doubt

On 30/08/2020 at 19:02, chris76 said:

We've stayed there Chris, about 12 years ago! It's huge but fabulous facilities, great for kids, and a good base for exploring the region. What measures did they have in place for covid?

Regarding quarantine , it seems to me you've kept within the guidelines as stated by our Government and your journey back would certainly have been a lot safer than those holiday makers crammed on a flight.

9 hours ago, chris76 said:

And why would I need to isolate? Italy’s a lot safer than here And I’ll spend the next two weeks earning money to help pay for the extra taxes our country will need, including  your pension no doubt

I have been working from home throughout this crisis so I have been contributing to society in several ways.

On 14/08/2020 at 08:06, Campervan said:

because of work commitments I have no choice but to take our main holiday in high season.

On 12/08/2020 at 11:57, Campervan said:

We all need to keep things in perspective and consider others as well as ourselves if opting to travel any distance.

I have said what I have said.

On 12/08/2020 at 10:43, Gordon said:

However I predict that you will not follow this advice and you will also not self isolate upon your return.

That would have been my prediction too.

I feel that some of the remarks are being a bit unfair to the OP.

While I personally think it was foolhardy to gallop off abroad without taking into consideration the risk (as per the FCO advice) that things were liable to change without warning, I really can't see anything in the original post that made me think it was about finding a way to dodge the rules.

The only remark in all of the posts that I was able to take exception to was the one about "the Government said it was OK to go on holiday" which was not the case.

Otherwise, the posts all seemed to be about an attempt to keep within the rules, not avoiding them.

1 hour ago, 2seaside said:

I feel that some of the remarks are being a bit unfair to the OP.

While I personally think it was foolhardy to gallop off abroad without taking into consideration the risk (as per the FCO advice) that things were liable to change without warning, I really can't see anything in the original post that made me think it was about finding a way to dodge the rules.

The only remark in all of the posts that I was able to take exception to was the one about "the Government said it was OK to go on holiday" which was not the case.

Otherwise, the posts all seemed to be about an attempt to keep within the rules, not avoiding them.

I completely agree. In my opinion the OP has followed the advice as set out by HMG. He has transited through the non exempt countries without leaving the car so has no need to self isolate as in essence he completed that in Italy and Germany since he left Spain.

Having been away here for the last two weeks, we've been to some places where I'd say we were a much greater risk than in a large site with plenty of space.

I hope you had a great break, to be honest I'm a little envious as the weather here was rubbish.

Glad it all worked out in the end. 

6 hours ago, Jiffy176 said:

Glad it all worked out in the end. 

Cheers 

8 hours ago, 2seaside said:

Maybe I should have said allowed us to go on holiday then, but to be fair it’s the same thing... we knew the risks and adapted legally

12 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

We've stayed there Chris, about 12 years ago! It's huge but fabulous facilities, great for kids, and a good base for exploring the region. What measures did they have in place for covid?

Regarding quarantine , it seems to me you've kept within the guidelines as stated by our Government and your journey back would certainly have been a lot safer than those holiday makers crammed on a flight.

yeah it was fantastic mate best site yet for us,

proper 5 star pristine toilet blocks which were always empty, even the toilets are all separate with proper tiled solid walls separating each of them

re COVID measures the resteraunts were shut, only the take aways were  open... to get a sunbed, you had to download an app to reserve your bed... they have a ticket system at reception with only 1 family member allowed in... so yeah all

good really

1 hour ago, reedyontour said:

Glad you made it home safely Chris.  Ended up with a bit of an adventure, as did we

We are now in day 10 of quarentine, holiday was still 100% worth it. :)

Le Pommier?

Well , at last 1 day  to go from our French quarantine then we are free to go out again. Were we checked in Calais? No, just asked if we had filled in the on line form. In fact the dog was checked better than we were.

Were we checked to see if we had broken the quarantine? Of course not, and it is likely very few if any were checked, conspiracy theorists would say no one is checked, just a big bluff.

We should have been going to Jersey in the next few days BUT because of my postcode we cannot even get on the ferry to isolate  for five days on the campsite

18 hours ago, Compass Point said:

Well , at last 1 day  to go from our French quarantine then we are free to go out again. Were we checked in Calais? No, just asked if we had filled in the on line form. In fact the dog was checked better than we were. Were we checked to see if we had broken the quarantine? Of course not, and it is likely very few if any were checked, conspiracy theorists would say no one is checked, just a big bluff.

Glad to read that you have taken the self-isolation seriously. The problem is that the system of self-isolation in its current form relies entirely on the honesty and self discipline of the individual. This is compounded by the requirement when returning from some countries to self isolate if you live in one part of the UK, while not if you live in another! 

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.