From Freelander to Kuga

Hi , Decided to change from my Freelander 2 HSE 2.2  year 2011 , its been a faultless towcar during my 5  year ownership, but being almost 10 years old its time for an upgrade,

I have decided to buy a Kuga 4x4 Auto St-Line Edition   2.0 L  2019  , the dimensions are almost the same as the freelander but engine output  and kerb weight slightly less but still very capable of towing my Compass 554  1550 Kgs  MTPLM  , my only  doubt being the Sport suspension and 19 inch alloys with low profile tyres , we only go away 6/8 times a year within 130 miles from home  so not many towing miles .

I would think that many of you have modern cars with this combination , does it cause any problems towing or could it be detrimental to the tow vehicle , I would be grateful for any advise /experience you may have .

Thank you .

I would say the sport suspension and lower profile tyres will increase stability whilst towing. Obviously at the cost of overall ride comfort. 

Edited by swirly182
  • Like 1

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

I would agree with swirly182.

My Kuga 180ps copes very well with a Coachman at 1550kg and could manage more I'm sure.   I have spinal issues and went for 17" wheels and appropriate higher profile tyres because the 19" inch wheels are know to give a firm ride.  If you don't mind that you should be happy.

Thanks for your replies , going to test drive it Tomorrow , never driven on low profile tyres  will now be aware and   concentrate on the firmness of ride .

:Thankyou:

Road tests for this model follow a uniform description of the ST Line ride (almost word for word - make of that what you will). They all suggest avoiding this model.

We had almost written off the Kuga based on its "professional" reviews, but one caught our eye and we thought we'd give it a go.

Yes the ST Line on 19" alloys is firmer, but it was never harsh and felt very sure footed with little roll in corners.

Please ignore the online advice (yes including this if you like :D) and give it a road test with an open mind.

We have a Tiguan and the example I decided upon happens to have 19" tyres. This was not what I wanted for fear of the harsh ride but I too have found that the ride comfort is perfectly ok (and our previous car was a Volvo V70). Changing from a 2011 to a 2019 car of similar type, you will probably be well impressed with the ride dispite the low profile tyres.

Ern

Thanks for your comments, Ukzero  yes the reviews  are all negative regarding 19" wheels together with low profile tyres so good to hear  of your own positive experience .

Also thank you Ern for your comments , I will post on the forum  how the test drive goes.

How wide the tyre is makes a difference to ride.

For example a Tiguan on 235x50x19 and one on 255x45x20 has a ride comfort that seems exactly the same to me.

But the 255 ones create noticeably more road noise at motorway speed.

And a smaller wheel is more economical, as shown on the Kuga brochure.

9 hours ago, xtrailman said:

For example a Tiguan on 235x50x19 and one on 255x45x20 has a ride comfort that seems exactly the same to me.

That's because the sidewall height in almost identical.

235x50xR19-255x45xR20.png

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=235-50r19-255-45r20

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

On 12/08/2020 at 23:17, lazydaze said:

Thanks for your comments, Ukzero  yes the reviews  are all negative regarding 19" wheels together with low profile tyres so good to hear  of your own positive experience .

Also thank you Ern for your comments , I will post on the forum  how the test drive goes.

Hi, Re test drive 2019  Kuga St-Line 2.0 Edition Auto  19 " wheels with the low profile  tyres  , really  pleased with the ride and handling ,  worlds apart from my 2011  Freelander 2 , so done the deal pick it up on Wednesday the bonus is that its fitted with an electric retractable tow bar , not sure it will be as  good  a tug as the Freelander but very pleased to have a nice nearly new modern car ,   caravan  trip out in 3 weeks time so will soon discover how good  a tow car it is .

• Thanks 1

Glad you liked it.

The only thing to watch out with the 6 speed powershift gearbox is to avoid lots of reversing your caravan, especially up a slope. Unlike a normal auto which "slips" in the torque converter as you edge backwards, the powershift slips much as a manual gearbox with potential heat and clutch wear issues if abused. Unlike a manual box however, the clutches in these are wet, so well cooled and fine for all but repeated extreme heavy load slow reversing. We have had no issues with our 1750Kg caravan.

Ignore any horror stories you may find about powershift boxes as these almost all relate to earlier, lower torque variants.

11 hours ago, lazydaze said:

Hi, Re test drive 2019  Kuga St-Line 2.0 Edition Auto  19 " wheels with the low profile  tyres  , really  pleased with the ride and handling ,  worlds apart from my 2011  Freelander 2 , so done the deal pick it up on Wednesday the bonus is that its fitted with an electric retractable tow bar , not sure it will be as  good  a tug as the Freelander but very pleased to have a nice nearly new modern car ,   caravan  trip out in 3 weeks time so will soon discover how good  a tow car it is .

Dont forget to let us know about the towing trip. For the weight you are pulling it should walk it. These are much newer horses.;)

Ern

6 hours ago, Ern said:

Dont forget to let us know about the towing trip. For the weight you are pulling it should walk it. These are much newer horses.;)

Thanks for your comments . will report on the tow .

My 150TDCI FWD Manual Kuga (2017) tows excellently.  The one "gotcha" is that for some reason Ford don't put the  towing tyre pressures with the rest of the pressures, they stick a line in the Towing section of the manual, which says "add 3 psi" to the rear tyres (in the alert section)

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

• 1 month later...

Hi, First time towing with the Kuga St-Line 180 Auto , very impressed felt solid and secure  kept speed to 50/55 Mph  on M25 M11 only showing 1500  revs  on the flat then nudging 1800 on inclines , so very much on par with the LR engine , the only difference was slightly more movement when large artics  overtook very close probably due to the Kuga being a lighter car and the towing to car ratio being  slightly above the LR .

The plus points for the Kuga was that it felt more responsive and quicker to accelerate , so the overall experience was very positive , can't wait for the next trip .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1