Electrolux Fridge yellow flame and smoke

Hi all, just went to test our 18 year old Electrolux 3 way RM4270 fridge after only using electric for last 5 years. It ignited but went to yellow flame straight away to the side of where the pilot light should be. When I removed the 2 vent covers I tried to blow out any debris and hoover the flu to no avail. Photos of said large flames and black smoke below. Is this terminal or a reasonable fix for the gas engineer?

C418776F-E7F3-4F07-8DCC-4166E326E490.jpeg

59DA988C-3DF8-434A-B492-0B10D393B987.jpeg

Edited by Pembssurfer
Typos

That is, as you suspect not right and needs fixing, to my mind tha gas/air mixture is wrong but I'm sure it can be fixed. I'm not a gas enginerer but I'm sure somebody on here can give you the definative answer but don't use it.

Dave.

Looks as though there might be a semi blocked jet, take it out and try blowing it through with an airline if you have one,(Both directions) if no air line use something soft like a tooth brush bristle to clear it then try it again.  Do not use a needle because you could end up making the jet too big!!

• I agree completely 1

It definitely needs fixing. The flame should be blue.   It may be debris in the flue.  If you remove the top vent you will see the flue has a top piece that is angled you need to remove that and the baffle that’s in the tube you can gently  Brush the flue.   It may shift a cobweb if you are lucky.    If you look on leisure spares website they have exploded diagrams of the fridges which might explain what I am talking about.  

ps I have seen it advised that jets can be cleaned by soaking in acetone.  Whether you should play with depends on your level of competence and confidence. 

Edited by fred
  • I agree completely 1

14 minutes ago, Davidmoppet said:

Looks as though there might be a semi blocked jet, take it out and try blowing it through with an airline if you have one,(Both directions) if no air line use something soft like a tooth brush bristle to clear it then try it again.  Do not use a needle because you could end up making the jet too big!!

How easy is it to remove then jet? I’m fairly good at DIY and mechanical stuff  but less so with gas appliances.

Just now, Pembssurfer said:

How easy is it to remove then jet? I’m fairly good at DIY and mechanical stuff  but less so with gas appliances.

When the thunderstorms finish here il pop back outside and inspect further. It’s not a deal breaker having the gas but it would be nice. Also the majority of pipes and coils on the back of the fridge are heavily corroded but I guess this is common to see on an 18 year old van.

Just now, Pembssurfer said:

If I am right, no need to remove the jet, just poke around with an airline or a can of compressed air (intended for cleaning inside computers).

8 hours ago, Stevan said:

If I am right, no need to remove the jet, just poke around with an airline or a can of compressed air (intended for cleaning inside computers).

Ok so some success I managed to strip down the flu and remove the burner. The Flue was very choked up and a long metal thing which I can only imagine is a flue clean which is supposed to stop debris had actually broken off it’s rusted wire and lodged at the bottom of the flu. I managed to remove it but did not replace it. 

tested the flame loose in position and blue flame once again. Anyway the problem has now turned into on refitting the burner to the inside of the Flue that the grub screw that held the burner to the inside no longer goes and I can’t find anything at home that fits. Grrrr  photo of the device lodged in the flu.

BD20A2EF-A861-4E2B-BF23-99421E67B54C.jpeg

Edited by Pembssurfer

I think that the spiral metal strip is supposed to be held in the flue to direct the gases.  By making them spiral it may improve the heat transfer by preventing the hos gases going straight up the flue too quickly.

• I agree completely 1

Get a Gas Safe engineer to fix it. You and your family will sleeping in a confined space with this fridge on gas. 

It really isn't worth their lives to save a few quid. It's your life. Or could be. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Few quid saved. Managed to put it all back together and fix the burner unit to the flu with a solid screw and nut. Managed to also dangle the spiral sheet back in the flu using brass picture frame wire and a washer sitting on the outside of the Flue to prevent it falling back into the flu like last time. 

Put it all back together and the heat shield (right knuckling scraping job doing this through the vents). Lit first time with nice clean blue flame coming out of where it should. Currently testing on full whack with everything shut and 2 carbon monoxide alarms on in different positions to double make sure nothing bad is coming out.

Turns out the flu and jet were so badly blocked that the flame was coming out of the air feed hole before the jet and was burning the piezo ignition wire which caused the black smoke.

We don’t use gas normally but it’s handy to have as I can put it on at the side of the road and in storage to pre cool the fridge down.

also looks like there are now no longer many spares for the RM4270 as it’s a late 90’s model so if and when it dies break again I think we are looking at a new fridge. Anyone happen to know what the newest replacement would be for this size of fridge freezer? Proper old skool!

Thanks to all that helped.

• Like 1

fantastic work very well done ,i would of done the same too ,if you look at the website for electrolux absorption fridges there is quite a few to choose from but PLEASE sit down as you will not be prepared for the prices ! best bet is go to national caravan breakers whom break all ages of van you may be lucky to secure a newish fridge just ask .

have a great time and enjoy 

shawn  

• Like 1

meandcaravan.jpg.e9cf995ee8c89b08e26d261aa10c0fc4.jpg2008 Bailey Senator Wyoming -2004 green oval Landrover discovery 2 td5-2005 Smart forfour.

1 hour ago, Pembssurfer said:

. Anyone happen to know what the newest replacement would be for this size of fridge freezer? Proper old skool!

If you're looking for a direct replacement you'll need an RM8400 (either with the wheel arch cut out or not)   New price is around £1200 but if you shop around you should get one for  £900.  

You have the same fridge as the one in my van.   The broken piece - the curly strip is the baffle.   You've got the important piece.   What your missing is a short piece of galvanized 2mm thick piece of wire secured into the hole.   The other end just sits over the top of the flue so the baffle is about mid-way    The flue is best cleaned with a tap brush.   You can see mine in the first pic.  

1692939817_Fridge1.jpg.bf7a631d287634b64414b3085abf58fb.jpg720091646_Fridge2.jpg.42f5c7f9d0746d269ba16e77afdf8750.jpg

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Just to add, I used  a liberal spray of car brake cleaner which seemed to do the trick with cleaning the jet and burner unit up.

Reason I used this is that is residue free once dry and helps shift loose rust as well as preventing further corrosion. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone explain why the t-pipe at the top of the flue is open at the back? Gasses are coming out there because we have a very small angle to the outside. I tried blocking it and I think the gas blew out while driving

19 minutes ago, SimonSolar2C said:

Can anyone explain why the t-pipe at the top of the flue is open at the back? Gasses are coming out there because we have a very small angle to the outside. I tried blocking it and I think the gas blew out while driving

I think the general view is that you should power the fridge from the car battery, not gas, when driving.

• I agree completely 1

Not only the general view but it's illegal to have a gas appliance on when driving. Which is why there's a 12 volt option.

Edited by iansoady
  • I disagree 1

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1986 Honda XBR500

16 minutes ago, iansoady said:

Not only the general view but it's illegal to have a gas appliance on when driving. Which is why there's a 12 volt option.

It's not advisable, but I'm pretty sure it's not illegal, unless you can point to where it says it's illegal on UK roads.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

It's not advisable, but I'm pretty sure it's not illegal, unless you can point to where it says it's illegal on UK roads.

According to his profile SimonSolar2C is based in New Zealand, so regs will be different.

However I think there is some legislation that states gas bottles must be turned off whilst in transit!

24 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Presumably LPG powered vehicles are exempt!

We are discussing a fridge in a caravan, so lets not complicate things :(

4 hours ago, iansoady said:

it's illegal to have a gas appliance on when driving.

I doubt that!    Otherwise there would be no need to have the petrol forecourt  ban on vehicles carrying a naked flame.

Having said that, it makes good sense to have the gas bottle turned off when travelling.

Edited by Jaydug

To answer the original question.   The tops of the flue should be open on both sides.   The exit pointing upwards should be connected to the outlet in the top vent.   You're getting the yellow flame because the combustion is incorrect.    With all the black smoke, your flue will be choked with soot.  Probably the jet needs cleaning, the baffle removed and the chimney brushed through.   Quite a quick simple job to a gas engineer.    At the moment your fridge might be producing dangerous fumes.   Don't use it until you have a blue flame.

I’ll rephrase:

Can anyone explain why the t-pipe at the top of the flue is open at the back? Gasses are coming out there because we have a very small angle to the outside. 

18 hours ago, SimonSolar2C said:

Gasses are coming out there because we have a very small angle to the outside. 

If it's put together as it should be,  you'll have the correct angle  for the flue.    The angled 'T' piece is supposed to be open at the back.    Get your combustion at the burner put right and you won't have so much smoke and fume.

464386904_FridgeExhaust.jpg.ceb8dd0fe99401c8d5087ae9144a17b5.jpg