I may be wrong but I have a hunch NW has cut back on some of the benefits on this account for newcomers.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

No holiday insurance now offered! Existing customers retain it though.

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Get yourself a Nationwide Flexplus account.

I've had one for years but I cant have any travel insurance.   The age limit is 69 years.   After that you have to buy an extension policy which (I believe) is £65 but not before your medical record has been assessed.     Then the cover is limited to 31 days unless you buy an extension policy - price depending on length of stay.   Then finally,  if you are over a certain age, they just don't want to know.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I may be wrong but I have a hunch NW has cut back on some of the benefits on this account for newcomers.

Not just newcomers. The breakdown cover now limits the size of caravan / trailer they will accommodate so for last winters trip I had to pay for additional cover (RAC Arrival from the C&CC).

They won't cover any liability for Covid 19 claims (cancellation or treatment) but such cover is available from, for instance Staysure. The Staysure premium I have been quoted covers age, length  of stay and pre-existing health issues which either cost more with the NW account as Jaydug mentioned above, or won't cover at all.

I must call and downgrade the account as the cost is no longer justified.

I do hope to be able to travel abroad again but am resigned to it not being this winter.

Jim

We have the Nationwide Flexaccount with the travel insurance and a FlexDirect but as Jaydug mentioned use it with exclusions, and only a few more years left on it. :(  Previously of course we had the E111 card as back up.

Personal Travel Insurance going to really add on to the cost of going abroad.  

FlexPlus Account is £90 pa.  TBH these incentives are just being chipped away year on year.

We used to use NW travel insurance and I had to pay extra for medical pre-conditions and extra for the added days over 30. It became too expensive compared to Red Pennant, and for the recent years I have found this is fine (age 75). I also found Red pennabt excellent in April this year when the virus broke, and they immediately refunded our premium for the cancelled holiday. 

Ern

On 20/11/2020 at 16:25, moorgate said:

The nice man with a computer at Bangkok airport knew for sure that I had overstayed their 30 day limit by just one day - and charged me 500  Thai baht for that one single day -about £12. 

Same thing happened to our friend's son - only his  fine was considerably more (or so he told his mum when she had to stump up the extra funds as he'd almost run out of money!)  The awful thing was that it was entirely due to flight cancellations due to Covid19 and he literally had no choice but to stay until the next available flight.  

Staysure, and OnLineTravelCover both offer full Covid19 cover - even during recommendations for 'non-essential travel'.  But of course the cost rises for longer trips and over a certain age - though they offer cover up to 79 years of age

https://onlinetravelcover.com/#

On 24/11/2020 at 10:21, meadowsweet said:

We have the Nationwide Flexaccount with the travel insurance and a FlexDirect but as Jaydug mentioned use it with exclusions, and only a few more years left on it. :(  Previously of course we had the E111 card as back up.

Personal Travel Insurance going to really add on to the cost of going abroad.  

FlexPlus Account is £90 pa.  TBH these incentives are just being chipped away year on year.

Flexplus is 12 x £13 = £156 pa but  with 3% interest on balance up to £2500 it  can be £81 pa

15 minutes ago, beejay said:

Flexplus is 12 x £13 = £156 pa but  with 3% interest on balance up to £2500 it  can be £81 pa

Which, is excellent value for a pan European breakdown cover if nothing else. 

15 hours ago, beejay said:

But that  £81 price is only for youngsters.  :(

39 minutes ago, moorgate said:

But that  £81 price is only for youngsters.  :(

There is no age restriction on the breakdown cover !