Is there some clarity please about the situation for long visits to Spain after 1 January 2021 when the real Brexit begins?

Will the 90 days in 180 days visitor time limit come into force?

Will there be an official inter government extension to that time limit? 

Will Spain just ignore it?

Will long stay wintersun visitors just ignore it?

Will UK citizens have to pay €80 for a long stay Spanish visa?

Will there be penalties for overstaying without it?

Thanks in advance for answers .

I dont think there are any facts yet. There is a lot of assumption, speculation , and scare stories motivated by political opinion. I could state my opinion to each question but that is not what you ask for.    

Ern

On 10/08/2020 at 09:14, moorgate said:

Is there some clarity please about the situation for long visits to Spain after 1 January 2021 when the real Brexit begins?

Will the 90 days in 180 days visitor time limit come into force?

Yes, unless the UK asks for an extension of the 'transition period'

Will there be an official inter government extension to that time limit?

The UK Government say no

Will Spain just ignore it? 

As part of the Schengen Agreement, they can't

Will long stay wintersun visitors just ignore it? 

Probably, 'they need us more than we need them'

Will UK citizens have to pay €80 for a long stay Spanish visa? 

Yes

Will there be penalties for overstaying without it? 

Yes,

see https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/consequences-of-overstaying-in-schengen-area

The difference between a master and a beginner

The master has failed more times than a beginner has ever tried.

I think it is a case of wait and see.

• I agree completely 2

Now living in Haute Vienne France

• 3 months later...

Hi, I am not a caravan owner but spend a lot of time in Spain as a tourist, could any one tell me under the present rules ( 2020 ) how long I have to spend out of Spain after the  180 period  assuming that i have been in the country for 90 days  before I can return to start another 180 day period.

As far as I now know the new rules following Brexit mean that in 2021 you can spend 90 days in Spain but then you have to leave the entire Shengen area (which comprises 26 countries) for a further 90 days before you can start again.  

My understanding is that it is 90 days in Spain and then 180 days outside of the Shengen area...probably change but who really knows!!!

13 minutes ago, moorgate said:

As far as I now know the new rules following Brexit mean that in 2021 you can spend 90 days in Spain but then you have to leave 

The question that springs to mind is - Who is going to check.   In a normal year  I show my passport when I land at Bilbao then it doesn't come out of my pocket again until I'm back at Bilbao 120 days later.      If I'm over next year's 90 days, are the Spanish authorities going to worry?   They will be more concerned about growing their economy - I would have thought!

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

The question that springs to mind is - Who is going to check.   In a normal year  I show my passport when I land at Bilbao then it doesn't come out of my pocket again until I'm back at Bilbao 120 days later.      If I'm over next year's 90 days, are the Spanish authorities going to worry?   They will be more concerned about growing their economy - I would have thought!

We use Eurotunnel four to five times a year and our passports are always checked and scanned both on leaving France and on entering UK or vice versa.

If the 90 day rule does come in then it would be obvious if we had overstayed.

Edited by Blackrat 51
Missing word

The nice man with a computer at Bangkok airport knew for sure that I had overstayed their 30 day limit by just one day - and charged me 500  Thai baht for that one single day -about £12. 

2 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Read the article posted by Lost in France August. "Are Spanish authorities going to worry?" Yes when you leave the Shenghen area. Unless the present rules are changed, you will get punished for overstaying a visa. Sheghen countries have to abide by the rules of inforcement.

Edited by Ern

Ern

This all hinges on whether there is, or is not, “A deal” in place at the end of the year. It’s very close to the wire now, but there is still some time left for “A deal” to be thrashed out.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if, at the eleventh hour, because of the unforeseen impact that Covid has had on ALL countries involved, that some form of limited time “extension”  is agreed upon to extend some of the rules such as visa free travel in both directions. Don’t forget that any travel restrictions will apply in both directions and not just to U.K. citizens wanting to visit Europe. 

Don’t forget that the system could be worked by say having 45 days away from 1st January to Mid Feb, and then another 45 days away from mid May leading up to the end of June (it’s 180 days from Jan 1st to the end of June) It’s 90 days in any 180 and the 180 is a rolling period! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

I really think that the negotiators have got more important things to sort out at the moment without having to concern themselves with the fate of a handful of tourists who want to stay for longer than 90 days. Besides, it's only something that will affect UK visitors to the EU to any extent and hardly at all vice versa, so there's little incentive for the EU to get involved with the subject in current negotiations.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lutz said:

I really think that the negotiators have got more important things to sort out at the moment without having to concern themselves with the fate of a handful of tourists who want to stay for longer than 90 days. Besides, it's only something that will affect UK visitors to the EU to any extent and hardly at all vice versa, so there's little incentive for the EU to get involved with the subject in current negotiations.

And for exactly that reason I reckon it will be punted onto the back burner to be dealt with at a later date. Could be wrong of course! 

But if the worst comes to the worst, and if the 90 day rule does come into force, there will be long stay Spanish visas for tourists who want to stay longer than that.

If in the end we are placed on the same footing as citizens of other non EU countries and need those visas for tourist visits lasting longer than 90 days there will be a form to fill in,  a requirement to produce proof of financial health,  proof of medical insurance,  proof of a clean police record, payment of an 80 euro fee, and an interview at the Spanish consulate.

Those who actually live in Spain need to apply for Residency and change UK driving licence to Spanish ones,  but they know that already. 

Edited by moorgate
  • Haha 1
  • I agree completely 1

All that is being said is pure speculation and means absolutely nothing. Think we just have to wait and see what is decided ( if the talks ever end that is !!) 

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 2

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

49 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

All that is being said is pure speculation and means absolutely nothing. Think we just have to wait and see what is decided ( if the talks ever end that is !!) 

Hear heaaaar!! 

I am sure they will enforce any time limits as there will be money to be made from those who overstay.

I was looking at my planner for next year and having deleted the Scottish National and the National the only thing on the planner are the provisional GPS and dates for ordering medicine. Very sad state of affairs.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

they will enforce any time limits as there will be money to be made from those who overstay

But presumably only at the port of exit when 'over-stayers' have already contributed to local tourist industry!

Jim

• Like 3
17 hours ago, jampot said:

But presumably only at the port of exit when 'over-stayers' have already contributed to local tourist industry!

Jim

Presumably? Is there any other way?

As I posted back in October, we missed our winter in Spain by two hours 27 October,new restrictions came in quickly and our ferry was cancelled just before we were leaving. 

It was probably to be our last time,now it looks certain to be our last time,what with EHIC uncertainces,Covid, Covid Tests before you go, 90days max in one period . Higher ferry costs to Bilbao,sky high travel insurance,currently, plus our damn age! What used to be easy is now getting very,very difficult.

Oh how we hate UK winters.

• Like 2

I can only sympathise - we are stuck too - but next winter we will fly to Madeira,  or Cuba, or Sri Lanka.   Dragging caravans to Spain is not the only option .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, moorgate said:

I can only sympathise - we are stuck too - but next winter we will fly to Madeira,  or Cuba, or Sri Lanka.   Dragging caravans to Spain is not the only option .

This comment made me think of the pros and cons of caravan holiday abroad (Europe) versus package holiday (Europe).

What do I dislike about package holidays?

1.  I miss my dogs

2.  I have to pay to park the car at an airport

3.  I am only allowed 22kg luggage

4. I have to be subjected to the "shopping experiences" at an airport and pay inflated prices for food and drink

5.  I have to join endless queues

6.  I have to sit in a metal tube, in uncomfortable seats in close proximity to other people and all the annoyances that entails, and breathing recycled air

7.  Hotel room or apartment/villa may well turn out to be disappointing

8.  Resort may be disappointing

9.  Additional cost for car hire

What do I dislike about caravanning abroad?

1.  I have to pay quite a lot of money for breakdown insurance

I am honestly stumped to think of much else

What do I like about caravanning abroad?

1.  Our dogs go with us

2.  Journey to ferry port is quite leisurely (no stress about missing the flight)

3.  Relaxing journey on the ferry, own cabin and shower facilities.

4.  One small shop on ferry and food and drink prices reasonable

4.  No limit on luggage (other than MTLM)

5.  No queuing - OK some - to board ferry.

6.  If I don't like the campsite - move on, ditto location

7.  Generally pick your own pitch

8.  Take your time travelling to destination

9.  More relaxing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 3

If you are 79 and your wife is 83 and walking disabled etc.there isn’t much other choice really,  

oh, and add to your list a very clean ,convenient ,toilet right behind you all the way,all you need is a good lay-by !

• Like 1
2 hours ago, meadowsweet said:

What do I dislike about caravanning abroad?

1.  I have to pay quite a lot of money for breakdown insurance

Get yourself a Nationwide Flexplus account. Pan European breakdown cover is included with the account and yes it does cover caravans as well as cars and no it’s not restricted to a designated car, it covers any car you are travelling in.