Advice Needed On Chocks

Hi

We are all new to caravanning

We are yet to take delivery of our caravan.

So whilst we have been waiting we have been buying essentials .

One thing I am not sure of is chocks, What are they for and do you need to have them?

Thanks in advance

Michelle

Guest john1215

Michelle,

I use chocks where I have to level the van side to side, using a ramp under one wheel, I usually pull the van onto a ramp, still attached to the car, we then put a chock behind both wheels to stop the van from running back down the ramp out of level. You need a chock on both sides as if you leave the un-ramped wheel without a chock, the caravan will slew to that side even with the handbrake on.

I bought some plastic ramps and chocks, the ramps are hollow and I've filled them with sand.

Basically you use them to stop the van from moving in a direction you don't want it to go when you are pitched.

john1215

Michelle,

I use chocks where I have to level the van side to side, using a ramp under one wheel, I usually pull the van onto a ramp, still attached to the car, we then put a chock behind both wheels to stop the van from running back down the ramp out of level. You need a chock on both sides as if you leave the un-ramped wheel without a chock, the caravan will slew to that side even with the handbrake on.

I bought some plastic ramps and chocks, the ramps are hollow and I've filled them with sand.

Basically you use them to stop the van from moving in a direction you don't want it to go when you are pitched.

john1215

7923[/snapback]

Use of chocks is always recommended, especially when changing a wheel and on sloping pitches. These should be about £2-3 each at your local dealer. Buy the orange ones - you're less likely to lose them than the black.

There are also ramps available, which lock together for side to side levelling (Pyramid Chockramps) and they have introduced a new ramp with a chock that locks onto it.

Mike

I use the black chocks. You cant loose them as they are infront and behind the wheels! If you are worried you wil loose them spray them a bright colour. They are cheaper than the orange one.

I even built a little wooden holder in the front locker to house them. They are the first thing you need on site so you can find them straight away instead of rummaging around trying to find them.

I also keep 2 chocks in the car incase I need to change a car tyre. A piece of mind.

I use the black chocks. You cant loose them as they are infront and behind the wheels! If you are worried you wil loose them spray them a bright colour. They are cheaper than the orange one.

I even built a little wooden holder in the front locker to house them. They are the first thing you need on site so you can find them straight away instead of rummaging around trying to find them.

I also keep 2 chocks in the car incase I need to change a car tyre. A piece of mind.

8592[/snapback]

They are cheaper than the orange one.

That's interesting, they're the same price from the manufacturer. By the way, I have 2 orange ones and one black one - lost the other.

Mike