Using toilet at service station stop off.

Hello everyone,

We have just bought a second-hand Avondale dart 556/6 and our 3 little children (and mum and dad) are very excited to be going on a first trip in the next few weeks.  My question is around stopping off at service stations on route to your destination and then using the toilet.

Do people fill the flusher before setting out or only when they arrive at the site they are going to?  I have seen people mention they use the toilet inside the caravan when stopping at a service station and I've also seen advice to say don't fill any water systems up until you arrive and drain when you leave.  Wondered how you would flush the toilet if you do not have the flusher filled up.

Sorry if its a stupid question but this is all very new to us and wondered what people tend to do at the stop off points.

I can't see anything wrong with filling the flush tank with a limited amount of water in order to cater for en route stops.

• I agree completely 1

We did not put any in our flusher when we went away , we did use the loo a few times but like you we are newbies.

We usually take a litre bottle of water with us to swill around the bowl if we need to use it at stop offs.

Never been sure about water sloshing about in the tank and the effect on the float etc.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Whatever is in the flush stays in the flush  .. never have drained it .. top up on arrival on site .. don't top up on leaving .. never noticed any towing effect that could be put down to water in the flush (or in the main tank for that matter)..

Never (almost never)  set out from home or site with more than a normal disinfectant charge (We mix a two litre charge in a washing conditioner bottle .. ) in the holding tank .. movement while travelling ensures the inside gets a good washdown ..

Keep it simple ...

• I agree completely 2

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

We always travel with some water in the flush tank. It is certain that we will stop multiple times in a days travelling so with water in the flush, water in the onboard tank for cooking and some gas, we can stop anywhere for a break. Any layby becomes a services. Been doing it that way for over thirty years now and it works for us.

2 hours ago, Griff said:

We usually take a litre bottle of water with us to swill around the bowl if we need to use it at stop offs.

Never been sure about water sloshing about in the tank and the effect on the float etc.

It shouldn't cause float problems, just think of the thousands of motor homes, camper vans and caravans touring around with contents in the waste tank between disposable points without any problems.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Thetford advise to never travel with the flush tank full as it will spill out into the caravan.  It's in the manual.

Less than half full (a couple of litres) works for us and has done for around 25 years of caravanning. Remember to turn on the 12V master switch with the electric flush versions (I often forget).

Waste tank is always completely empty (on way home) or with around a litre of water plus chemical (on way to a site).

Edited by Rodders53
  • Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

WE use ours-am I the only one on here who ignores the 'adding some water'instructions to the blue flush fluid-what is the point-it has water in it=you add water when you go to the loo-of your own-albeit with a few additives in there-just wastes space imo! Never use site loos-always our own and never have any issues.

39 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Remember to turn on the 12V master switch with the electric flush versions (I often forget).

Depending on how well (or badly) your car is wired up, you may find the flush doesn't work without the engine running. Or at all!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

4 minutes ago, MalH said:
44 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Depending on how well (or badly) your car is wired up, you may find the flush doesn't work without the engine running. Or at all!

It shouldn’t work with car running, as habitation relay should be active.

Caravans that use Sargent electrics will automatically turn off the van, when car running. All that’s required is to turn it on. 

We fill toilet tank nearly full before leaving home ,fill boiler tank!travel all way down to Costas Spain,small container for tea making,never ever been problem in any caravan i have ever towed.

fwiw ....

Previous advice & comments on subject was to avoid a full flush tank when in travel as can spill over - has happened to us. Minor amount in tank is best. Bit of tap water in a bottle for a rinse of bowl suffices, lotus petal paper in bowl if a bigger job likely.

Lidl bio-tab in tank for us - very simple, cheap, clean & effective.

M

16 minutes ago, Pheasant said:

We fill toilet tank nearly full before leaving home ,fill boiler tank!travel all way down to Costas Spain,small container for tea making,never ever been problem in any caravan i have ever towed.

Don't lose sight of the fact  that any water in the flush tank or boiler has a detrimental impact on your available payload.

1 litre of water weighs 1Kg.

Just sayin because some manufacturers (Bailey for one) quote their MIRO without any water in either.

14 litres in the boiler and 8? in the flush tank = a small leisure battery :)

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Our caravan is in storage so empty of all water and just before we set off the toilet is used for no. 1s only and do not bother flushing it since it runs quite happily into the waste tank. If a flush was needed then a bit of water from a bottle could be used but never had to do this. When we return home the water systems are drained down before setting off so the toilet is not used at all and the motorway services are used if a stop is needed.

Motorway services are open and  can be used. We were at Scotch Corner services this week, you queue up outside, people on the door control numbers going in, the doors are open so no need to touch them, sanitiser at the entrance if wanted, masks have to be worn.

Edited by Paul1957
11 hours ago, bubble2015 said:

We always travel with some water in the flush tank.  Makes life so easy if you need a quick loo stop.

Also, any water in the flush tank of the loo, in our end bathroom, helps to counter balance our excessive noseweight. (Yes, I know we shouldnt put too much weight at the rear end.)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't top up water in the cistern before leaving.  I just think of added weight.  Water is heavy.  Just half fill a bucket and then pick it up.  I always used to use the service station's facilities.  Now that I'm on my own, I will have to use the caravan toilet, but like someone said above, take a large bottle of water for rinsing the bowl, which should be sufficient until you get to the site.  I don't want to come back from the service station to find my caravan gone, along with my lovely cat.

17 hours ago, Susan D said:

Birthing three kids and going through menopause has left me not so able to hold on for so long as when I was younger, so I'm often glad of the ability to be able to jump into the van and use our own loo at service stations. Especially with all the faff of restricted entrances, one way systems etc. just now. Much easier to just use our own.

I hope you are doing your pelvic floor exercises ;)

--------------------------

how long are you people travelling for, if like us it's a few hours at the most , one pee each doesn't need the  flush filling to the brim,  in fact I like the idea of a small bottle of water, but we don't bother, sort it out when we get there. 

Edited by joanie